Question 4k Telly question

Daverey2

Established Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but here goes......

Just purchased a LG LH850V telly from Currys. So far abolsutely pleased with it and have been scouring the internet for 4k content to play to impress friends and show off its capabilities.

If I go via the telly's onboard Youtbe app and search for 4k videos (largely the demos you see in the stores), whilst the quality & colour is incredible, when I click on "additional info" it always shows the resolution as something like 1,920 x 1,080 - 24Hz/30Hz, and never any "better".

I thought 4k was meant to be double this - 3,840 x 2,160 pixels?

Am I missing something here?

If its just Youtibe's limitations, does anyone know of any other sources of true full resolution 4k videos I could download and put on a pen drive or something to test out the telly's true capability?

Thanks

All

Still not sussed this one I'm afraid.

I've noticed now on the YouTube app that the listed "dimension" of 4k clips is 1,920 x 1,080 x 2 - I guess the "x 2" bit meaning that you multiply both aspects to get to th full 4k resolution?

However, when i play the videos back I still only see things like a max resolution of 1,920x1,080 (or less - anyone know why I am getting less that the true 4k resolution, or whether its possibly a bandwidth issue?

What I am seeng is still quite impressive, but I would be very interested to see a proper 4k feed to see what it should look like - does anyone know way reliable clips out there that I could download and watch on the telly?

Ta
Dave

Sorry - a further question - I note that on the TV app the "connection speed" is just shy of 5,000 Kbps - could this be limiting the resolution it can display, despite the original dimensions of the video?

I guess it's a UH850v, there isn't an LH850v as far as I'm aware.

I'm not sure what youtube's recommended bit rates are, but a 5Mbps connection would be rather slow for 4k video.

5mb would be far too slow. Need at least 25mb I think to get smooth playback. Also make sure your YouTube app can play 4k. It uses the Vp9 codecs and some tells can't play it. I have the 4k LG UB850V and it can't play YouTube 4k clips but will play 4k Netflix and Amazon

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom