Question 4K switch over 2xcat6

Mehmeh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m looking for a hdmi switch that can switch 3 or 4 sources to one hdmi out. I have 2xcat 6 to the tv.

An ideal solution would also extend IR and have a remote at the tv end that let’s me easily switch input source. Unless there’s another more Clever way to do it?

mph and I need 4K and 3D support (sky q)

Hmm that looks perfect but very expensive since I would need two of them and the exception end?

basically I want 3 (or 4) in and switchable to 2 out. Or 4 in and 4 out if inputs can be shown On more than 1output at the same time.

mid that what the vertex 2 does? I don’t mine spending 1k+ on that but 2x899 plus splitters seems like the wrong way to do it?

The Maestro TX/RX 'Kit' consists of the 4 Input Switch/Transmitter (which has local HDMI + extended HDBT [RJ45] and IR Outputs) plus the RX (which has HDBT [RJ45} + IR Inputs along with HDMI Out) + accessory cable kit.

That would be everything you require for 4 Sources, a local TV/AVR plus an Extended (over single CAT6) solution.

If you require a multiple Zone system please outline what is required.

Joe

Hello,

ok that’s how I understood the link you sent me.

what I actually have is 4 devices I need to share to 2 (possibly 4) tv’s. I have 2x cat 6 available to each tv.

so ideally a 4 hdmi in, 2,3 or 4 hdmi out (over cat 6), all supporting 4k.
also ideally one hdmi in could be shown on all outputs at the same time too, IR relayed for the remotes and a sensible way to switch the inputs at the tv end (IR remote?)

What you describe is an HDMI over CAT 'Matrix' and whilst they were very popular when folk were dealing with 'centralised' HD Sources they are less popular now that we have to deal with 4K UHD plus the rise of low cost streaming Source devices which are easy to install 'per zone'!

4K UHD is possible over CAT - though current generation kit has to use some form of image compression, most systems will claim 'visually lossless'!

What are the Source devices, Display devices and 'In room' audio systems you are dealing with?

Joe

Thanks for your patience, I’m not great with the terminology!

So let me explain from the beginning. My house has a playroom and a living room/kitchen dinner. There is a central point under the stairs and 2xcat6 and 2 x coax run to each TV.

I also have another formal living room with the same cables but I don’t plan to put a TV here ‘yet’. In other words it would be nice to future proof the switch for this but not essential.

map so it’s possible I may add a tv to abedroom upstairs (same cables run there).

I have sky Q and only the main box can do 4k. So my plan was to have the main box plus a sub box as two inputs. The. I can switch any TV to the 4k feed if needed. All other TVs can share this same 4K feedor share the second one.

Then I have a 4k Apple TV and potentially some other future device - so want 4 inputs to keep it future proof.

I will be buying new TVs and am looking at the oledXXC9 range fro LG or the QLED frame tv from Samsung.

the living room has a Bose bar and wireless base box.

my he play room will likely use a sonos beam bar.

theres a lot of wiggle room here between a cheap and chatty system that works nowvs something more future proof for later.
Also if the switch will use both cat 6 I need some IR blasting built in as there won’t be any spare wires to run that accross.

ideally I would want to be able to switch inputs using IR at each TV or using some App.

not sure the best solution For all this?

Btw sorry for all the spelling mistakes/ weird words in between my iPhone seems to have gone nuts and it’s predicting nonsense for perfectly sensible words!

SKY Q - I guess you have to decide if there is enough 4K UHD content to worry about the Mini box's being HD (1080p). Many customers we deal with are more than happy with the quality the Mini box Outputs for secondary rooms (no matter of they have HD or 4K UHD TV's) . I would be asking which channels you will be viewing and where and if being in HD was a real issue!

ATV 4K - one per Zone is worth considering and a lot more flexible in terms of who wants to view what and where.

4K UHD HDMI over CAT Matrix - there are a wide range of options they all employ compression on the 'extended' Outputs which on the lower cost kit means all zones (inc the Primary Zone) are potentially compromised, you can also factor in HDR, DV, Atmos etc if you want optimum capabilities in the primary Zone.

Audio - if you were to distribute signals via a Matrix it looks like stereo via HDMI would be fine for you.

Control - many devices are now Bluetooth or App rather than IR. SKY Q utilises BT for the Main box and IR for the Mini box and ATV is also BT.

A HDMI over CAT Matrix is relatively high cost and will add as many 'problems' as it potentially solves for you!

Joe

PS iOS - I think we all suffer from that issue at times :)

Hmm yeah that’s kind of where I got stuck.

that’s why I was wondering if multiple cheaper 4x1 switches plus some splitters would work out cheaper. But then the signal is going through two boxes and more to get messed up.

for me it’s only worth spending lots if I can get most of my requirements met. Otherwise something cheap with compression will do.regarding Bluetooth, yeah that was an issue at my old place. I just ended up using the IR remote for the main sky box and had the Apple TV locally for the main tv.

can the Bluetooth be extended easily?

Joe makes a valid point about SkyQ. Sky itself has very little UHD programmes in comparison to the likes of Netflix and Amazon. Unless you want to use Sky's Netflix app which is not as good as most TV's own app as there is no HDR with Sky. The mini box is pretty good with 1080 sources.

Hmm I see your point.

Ok so maybe I should keep it simple.

main sky box UHD to main TV in living room.
Second sky box HD to play room.
I can use the Netflix apps on the TVs, and for the living room tv there’s a hidden cabinet I can put my Apple TV inside.

so all I need now is one 4k ballon and one HD ballon.

Or are you guys saying I can still use a matrix and the primary feed will be 4k and the rest 1080p?

whichever is cheaper really.

Forgot to say the main living room is probabaly wothin Bt range of the main sky box so won’t need the IR

Ok new plan...

sky digital main box in hidden cabinet by living room tv. Direct hdmi 4k. I’ll hide the Apple TV here

mill use the cat6 to hard wire the tv and sky ethernet

then secondary sky box hidden under stairs with 1080p extender over cat6

I’ll use the other cat6 to hard wire the tv ethernet

so any recommendations for 1080p (or even 4k for future proofing) over cat 6 extender that also does IR?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom