• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

4k streaming with UE65F9000

boolay1978

Novice Member
Please can some help me! I bought the UE65F9000 from Currys in Feb this year. They told me that I would be able to stream 4k from Netflix. I have now found out that this model cant stream 4k and currently just watching HD through Sky. If I had known that I would have bought a TV for half the cost! Does anyone know how I can watch some thing in 4k on this TV please! not getting any joy from Currys or Samsung.

Please help!!!!

next010

Distinguished Member
From what I've looked at the F9000 have 4K capable HDMI 1.4 ports and can play H.264 video at 4K, thats the extent of it's support.

It does not support H.265 (HEVC) video in it's internal chipset which is what Netflix uses for 4K video streams.

So your options are
1) Buy the Samsung Evolution upgrade kit which will give you the guts of latest Samsung chip with H.265 support, they cost £300-400.

2) Wait for a set top box to come out that can do 4K Netflix.

witchdrash

Please can some help me! I bought the UE65F9000 from Currys in Feb this year. They told me that I would be able to stream 4k from Netflix. I have now found out that this model cant stream 4k and currently just watching HD through Sky. If I had known that I would have bought a TV for half the cost! Does anyone know how I can watch some thing in 4k on this TV please! not getting any joy from Currys or Samsung.

Please help!!!!

Unfortunately you've experienced the famous Currys service, and looks like you've been burnt by it, as I seriously doubt they will ever take it back. Set top boxes will appear that can decode h.265, but basically the best option is spending more and getting the evolution kit, as Currys interest in keeping their customers happy is as non-existent as the training of their staff in the products they sell.

tazcab

Standard Member
Go for missed sold the product under the sale of goods act because it's not fit for purpose no one is streaming 4K in H264 I can't see what anyone will ever be. doing it in the future I feel the F 9000 should never been sold as a TV it should only be sold as a 4K monitor even the QFHD file is not used any longer for Samsung UHD TVs I know I've had an F9000 and now I've got an HU8500

BingoBongo275

In future I think we all need to record any conversations with Currys salespeople prior to buying as this seem to be a regular occurrence. Without that it's always going to be one persons word against another.

In fact scratch all that - just don't buy from currys!

crashuk

I took mine back for a full refund, i quoted them the sales of goods act miss selling and not fit for purpose. Write them 2 letters give them 14 days tell them in the last letter you go through the small claims court, I would.

wiz

Distinguished Member
In future I think we all need to record any conversations with Currys salespeople prior to buying as this seem to be a regular occurrence. Without that it's always going to be one persons word against another.

In fact scratch all that - just don't buy from currys!

Maybe we should wear the same personel cameras Police use when shopping in currys ;)

JudgeJules

Novice Member

Please help!!!!
Unfortunately as many here say, Currys' sales pitches cannot be believed. I own a Samsung UE65F9000, but knowing how Currys are, I put up with their frankly laughable (ignorant) sales pitch and I bought it from them based on a deal they offered me, crucially having previously researched its capabilities and the (then) forthcoming upgrade in the shape of the Evolution kit.

It has to be said that the F9000 is a truly excellent television and whilst you should rightly feel aggrieved with Currys, you should be content that your decision to purchase this set was fundamentally correct. The extra £300 or so for the Evo is understandably a difficult pill to swallow but it is worth spending and you will be rewarded in terms of picture quality (once you have installed the updates etc!!). It will stream Netflix in 4K (h.265) and moreover the number of simultaneous colours it can display are astounding; there are no colour bandings and images are pin sharp; blacks are rendered unbelievably well and are both discernible and not overly inky. You can find some worthwhile calibration settings on-line, which, when tweaked to your personal tastes make this set one of the best ever. Also, do not become too overly distracted by the sales furore over Samsung the curved screen, which even at 65" is of dubious benefit over the F9000 in a domestic environment.

crashuk

go back and tell them why cant you watch 4k streams, then when they say get upgrade tell them why was I not told at the time, the quote sales of goods act.

JudgeJules

Novice Member
The problem you will have, unfortunate as it is, is Currys will tell you they are not responsible for the provision of external content and that as long as the television has the ability to display 4k streams they are in the clear. The fact that there is no content available on-line using the requisite CODEC, Currys will say is not their problem. That is an awful thing for someone who has just laid out several £K's of their hard earned money to hear and without a doubt both Samsung UK and Currys should have been considerably more transparent in the set's at-that-time capabilities. Unless you have indisputable evidence to support that Currys have said that out of the box this will stream any native 4k content from internet, I do not think you will get very far. Where sets have been sold to unsuspecting or more casual punters who simply want a top notch telly, both Samsung and Currys should hang their heads! There are too many incidences on this forum and others with people claiming the sales pitch was misleading for Currys to deny there is a problem with their pitch.

However, better to save your energy, time and money and enjoy the TV, which in either pre or post upgrade form, is a fantastic piece of engineering. However annoyed or disgusted you might feel, ultimately there is an upgrade path, which from your own perspective would be more deserving of your (extra) money than a lawyer ever would be (in a single or class action suit) pressing your case with Currys. When you are ready, buy your upgrade on-line, it's simple to install and it's far cheaper and vote with your feet in future with Currys.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom