4K streaming from NAS to OLED65GX6LA (Nvidia Shield?)

Puravida

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have a new OLED65GX6LA tv from LG. I'm very happy with it. I also have some 4K content on my Synology NAS.
The TV can connect/stream movies from my NAS only 4K has either no sound, stutters or no subtitles.

I now the TV does not support DTS and with passtrough most movies have sound on my receiver. Only the stuttering is a problem.
Is the best solution to use Nvidia Shield/Kodi for this?

I already have a kodi on a raspberry pi3+ but 4K is not supported on that device.

You should try using Emby (or Plex) as your media server on the NAS and get the client from the webos app store.

That may resolve the audio and subtitles issues.

Stuttering may be down to the fact that LG do not have very good network performance on their Tv's its meant for streaming netflix like services only, this USB ethernet adapter was known to work on past LG OLED TV's and could make streaming high bitrate 4K possible.

You just plug it in and hope it works, the ethernet settings in the TV will be blank.

Shield will work fine with Kodi, Emby etc if you want to go that way.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I tried plex a hour ago. Transcoding from my NAS (4K) is not good, i think my Synology 412+ is too slow for that.

If i buy a Shield, does the shield transcode the source?

The DS412+ is not fast enough for video transcoding and the shield does not require transcoding.

The video shouldn't need to transcode but audio might and your NAS is still fast enough for that.

What may be triggering video transcode is if the subtitles are in PGS format, if they are just srt text format then it shouldn't transcode.

Try emby instead of Plex and make sure you use the emby app from webos store, see how that fairs, if its no different then get the shield.

Stuttering may be down to the fact that LG do not have very good network performance on their Tv
I've got an OLED C8 and a WD NAS and it streams 2K and 4K MKV files perfectly. I can pause, forward, no issues. The only thing it doesn't do is show subtitles for most films, the option is greyed out whereas on a Samsung 4K TV I have, subtitles show 95% of the time.

I can only hear lossy sound though, as I don't have ARC/eARC on my amp, only ARC on the TV, thus I have to send the audio 5.1 via optical.

I'd say the network performance on the LG C8 is very impressive and fast. Regarding other peoples' issues, there are other factors like the NAS, ethernet switch, ethernet cabling, ethernet ports. My network is Cat6, all the way.

Last edited:
If i buy a Shield, does the shield transcode the source?

It will using Plex if it has to and you using Plex server on a Shield Pro.
If you're using the Plex client on a standard Shield, then it's down to the NAS to transcode it.

Alternatively, you can use Kodi and it will play everything natively. If you have the bandwidth on your home network.

However all this talk of Plex, Kodi, etc. are you using wifi, or are you hard-wired?

If you're all cabled up then transcoding should be completely unnecessary.
If you're trying to stream full UHD remuxes over wifi then you're probably onto a loser. Most people can't manage 1080p Bluray over wifi.

I have turned off (ethernet / UTP) network on my tv and I'm using 5Ghz Wi-Fi. The speed is much faster now. I was using CAT6 cables, but the network port on the tv is just slow.

I can play 4K movies now, but (DTS) sound is still a problem on plex. I have turned on passtrough and sometimes it works, sometimes not. Kodi plays everything, but i have to buy a shield for that (rasperberri 3b is too slow for 4k).

If you do get a shield get the PRO, I had the tube which didn't work for my 4k mkv files and stuttered when playing high bitrate streams although in a lot of cases my Samsung ks TV played fine but with reduced audio.

UHD over wifi is perfectly possible on the 5GHz band. If the TV only does 2.4Ghz wifi forget it unless the router is line of sight to the TV. The speed required for UHD is less than the speed of a USB2.0 drive so if you use a wifi scanner utility on your phone or tablet and determine the signal strength of the 5Ghz signal at your TV is good (even 60% of full strength on 5GHz is more than enough) and then switch all your devices to 2.4Ghz and leave just the TV on 5 and try it you may be pleasantly surprised what is reliably playable. Of course if the TV player can't decode your files then you will need to look at media player of some sort that can either read the files from the NAS or act as a client for some NAS software to stream the files to the media player.

If you do get a shield get the PRO, I had the tube which didn't work for my 4k mkv files and stuttered when playing high bitrate streams although in a lot of cases my Samsung ks TV played fine but with reduced audio.
Hello all,

This is my current set up.

*I have a "WD my Cloud Home" as a NAS connected by ethernet to the back of a Netgear Wifi 6 router. It serves as a Time Machine backup for two computers and also as a PLEX server.

*Nvidia tube is connected on wifi to the same router. probably 3m away. If i test the wifi speed with my phone in front of the tube i get 150-180Mbps (i have 380Mbps on the router).

*I have no issue whatsoever to stream 4k, DV etc on the tube on NF, D+ etc.

*BUT when trying to stream 4K files from the NAS using PLEX client on the Nvidia tube, it buffers quite a lot and is impossible really. OR even playing 4k files from KODI add-on is struggling/impossible.

*is it just a bandwidth issue (or the source file if its KODI based)? or upgrading to the PRO could solve this ??

I have a tube and play 4K Remuxes over a wired network with no issues.

I'd say trying to do it over wifi is probably your issue and at least try wiring it as a temp measure to check it out.

I have a tube and play 4K Remuxes over a wired network with no issues.

I'd say trying to do it over wifi is probably your issue and at least try wiring it as a temp measure to check it out.
ok but why can i play 4K content from Netflix, Disney+ with no issues ? this is also over Wifi ?

I would also be inclined to also check it wired. Consistency is more important than peak throughput when it comes to UHD remuxes. When wifi is involved there is generally more enviromental factors in play within the home which can effect this compared to a solid wired connection. That’s not to say it cannot work well with wifi, just conditions need to be perfect for it to do so.

Also I would recommend binning plex entirely if on the tube. Just use kodi and mount your nas within it as a share

I would also be inclined to also check it wired. Consistency is more important than peak throughput when it comes to UHD remuxes. When wifi is involved there is generally more enviromental factors in play within the home which can effect this compared to a solid wired connection. That’s not to say it cannot work well with wifi, just conditions need to be perfect for it to do so.

Also I would recommend binning plex entirely if on the tube. Just use kodi and mount your nas within it as a share
ok. thanks ! will try both tonight. Wire and Kodi (although V19 is buggy as hell).

The bitrate for streaming video from Netflix, Disney etc is nowhere near what a full disc Remux is.

The bitrate required for Netflix UHD is recommended at 25Mbps
A UHD disc has HD audio and a much higher video bitrate of up 5x(?) that at a peak.
For example, Saving Private Ryan averages 65Mbps.

The bitrate for streaming video from Netflix, Disney etc is nowhere near what a full disc Remux is.

The bitrate required for Netflix UHD is recommended at 25Mbps
A UHD disc has HD audio and a much higher video bitrate of up 5x(?) that at a peak.
For example, Saving Private Ryan averages 65Mbps.
ok. understood. thanks.
so it could clearly be a "bandwidth" issue (wired/wifi) but why buffer/stutter from kodi files though (which are sources on the Shield direct) ?

I thought you were streaming the files from your NAS over wifi?

but why buffer/stutter from kodi files though (which are sources on the Shield direct) ?

The tube doesn't have USB ports to have a source directly connected so I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.

ok. understood. thanks.
so it could clearly be a "bandwidth" issue (wired/wifi) but why buffer/stutter from kodi files though (which are sources on the Shield direct) ?

Sorry I missed this, it is also stuttering if you plug In Usb hard drive Into the shield and attempt playback direct through kodi? That is unusual tbh and I thought would only be an issue if its an old hard drive with poor read/write performance

I thought you were streaming the files from your NAS over wifi?

The tube doesn't have USB ports to have a source directly connected so I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.
sorry. i was not clear, you are right.
I have some files streaming from the NAS over wifi.
But also using kodi add on (installed on the shield) looking for streaming files on the net.....😅

if you plug In Usb hard drive

But it's a tube. It doesn't have USB. Which is why I'm confused.

@thesquale, rather than posting in here and in The Nvidia Shield thread where people are trying to help you there as well, it might be an idea to confine it all to one thread.

@thesquale, rather than posting in here and in The Nvidia Shield thread where people are trying to help you there as well, it might be an idea to confine it all to one thread.
yes, you are right. sorry !

is there a forum tool to do that ?

Cheers mate, I don’t actually have the tube so wasn’t aware of this fact :smashin:

moving over to

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom