4K Sony Bravia Displays only HD (1080p)

mrhagerty

Novice Member
I have a 6-year old Sony Bravia XBR-49X800D that is 4K HDR. I seem to be only getting 1080p resolution. Recently read a NT TImes article about 4K TVs downgrading video to HD if you are connecting sound to old technology HMDI AV amp without HDMI
I have a Blu ray player connected via HDMI. But for 4K my source is the built in Amazon Prime app, streaming a 4K UHD video as source.

My Question: Is this true about automatic downgrading? If I disconnect the RCA cables so that the TV is basically standalone, will 4K begin to display for 4K programs?
Do I have to buy an HDMI AV amp for sound just to get the Bravia to show 4K?

NY TImes link
Verify that all your other devices support 4K.
Even if your TV and sources are 4K, if you have something else in the HDMI signal path that can’t support 4K, you won’t be able to pass that signal through. For example, an older AV receiver or soundbar that lacks HDMI 2.0 (or higher) inputs might not support 4K pass-through, so your devices will send only 1080p. No 4K. No HDR. No wide color gamut. Some 4K Blu-ray players and gaming consoles offer dual HDMI outputs to get around this issue—they let you send the 4K video to the TV via one HDMI output and send the audio to the receiver or soundbar via another. But many 4K devices don’t offer this option.

desinho

I have a 6-year old Sony Bravia XBR-49X800D that is 4K HDR. I seem to be only getting 1080p resolution. Recently read a NT TImes article about 4K TVs downgrading video to HD if you are connecting sound to old technology HMDI AV amp without HDMI
Thta's not what it says. It's the soundbar/receiver that is downgrading (or better limiting) the signal to 1080p (from external input devices) rather than the tv. Doesn't apply to your situation ...
Maybe you could try with a 4K Firestick or Chromecast Ultra/ new Google TV Chromecast (might be the app itself on your tv that is the limiting factor).

mrhagerty

Novice Member
Thta's not what it says. It's the soundbar/receiver that is downgrading (or better limiting) the signal to 1080p (from external input devices) rather than the tv. Doesn't apply to your situation ...
Maybe you could try with a 4K Firestick or Chromecast Ultra/ new Google TV Chromecast (might be the app itself on your tv that is the limiting factor).
I just did a chat with Sony and they confirmed that AV amps without HDMI will downgrade the video, but he was assuming I was doing pass-thru. I'm not, so it's not a case of the AV amp downgrading. But he couldn't explain why I'm still not getting 4K with the built-in Amazon app on a 4K UHD program. Wanted me to do factory reset, but I declined. I did change to Enhanced mode which is for external sources. There doesn't seem to be a place in Help or Settings where it shows that your TV is now displaying in 4K when a 5K source is viewed.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
5K?…typo?
Press the “i”info button on your TV remote and that will show you the screen resolution.
How is your TV connected to your amp?
On modern Sony TVs you can set the headphone socket to “Line out” so connect a 3.5mm stereo minijack to this with RCA Phono's at the other end.
This cannot affect the TV's ability to view stuff in 4K.

mrhagerty

Novice Member
5K?…typo?
Press the “i”info button on your TV remote and that will show you the screen resolution.
How is your TV connected to your amp?
On modern Sony TVs you can set the headphone socket to “Line out” so connect a 3.5mm stereo minijack to this with RCA Phono's at the other end.
This cannot affect the TV's ability to view stuff in 4K.
The info button on my Bravia remote only works in TV mode. When I choose an app like Amazon, it doesn't show resolution. Of course, when I'm in TV mode it's 1080p because I don't have 4K setup with DirecTV (ATT). As for sound, acc to Sony, I can still use my old tech AV amp as long as I'm not doing pass-through for the video,

mrhagerty

Novice Member
The info button on my Bravia remote only works in TV mode. When I choose an app like Amazon, it doesn't show resolution. Of course, when I'm in TV mode it's 1080p because I don't have 4K setup with DirecTV (ATT). As for sound, acc to Sony, I can still use my old tech AV amp as long as I'm not doing pass-through for the video,
Edit - On Netflix the Info button shows 2160 (double the HD res). In Amazon another form of Info tells me that a 4K feature has the TV in HDR mode.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom