Question 4K Samsung JS9000 vs 4K LG OLED

ALIEN1X

Established Member
Reaction score
I Went into Currys to compare Samsung 4K JS9000 v LG 4K OLED.

I used recorded material from an external hardrive of SD broadcast material and DVD/Blue ray films
Watched content on both TV in standard picture mode

The Samsung upscaled very well especially SD content, added new life and depth to it. The colours was bit washed out so guess it may have needed some tweaking in settings.

The 4kLG showed deep blacks resulting in better colours and very natural looking, however the up scaling was very poor when using SD content plus there was no depth to the picture.

So the Samsung so far performs better and may be improved by tweaking the colours.

Just surprised that LG 4k OLED could not perfom better considering the price its selling for.
So was wondering if anyone has carried out any comparison between the two and what their thoughts are, I was hoping the OLED would be better unless there are settings that make it look less grainy when up-scaling.

Last edited:
And your question is?

Apologies', I should have re-phrased it. I should have said- is there a setting to improve the up- scaling of SD content to avoid the grainy picture and achieve depth control on the LG 4k OLED.
The black levels and colours was very good.

banding and greys are worse on a 960 OLED also. it the moment the Js9000 is the better screen imo, although in theory the 9500 is FALD so even better

Been reading the SJ9000 thread and the 4KLG960 oled thread with great interest - still owning a ZT and waiting till later this year or early next for 4K oled to come down in price - it appears that even at a lower price i don't think i could live with the 960 issues compared to the SJ9000.
Viewing both in Curry's yesterday with their own 4k material being shown - couldn't fault either ( i know its different with real world material and evening viewing) - but it gives one a taste of its potential with 4K.
Will be interested to see if Panasonic ( Oled ) bring anything to the table later this year and if so with or without any issues.
Very interesting times !
In the meantime i will stay put with the ZT that still produces a superb PQ IMO.:smashin:

saarnold

Im still using my Sony CRT Trinitron Wide Screen and time has come to upgrade, and just want to buy A good UHD tv that will last 10-15 years that I will be happy with.
I'm kind caught up between LG 4K OLED, Samsung 9000 series and possibly the New sony 930c (not seen yet). Not seen JS9500 and how it differs to 9000

Hi Alien, I am not sure they build tv's to last between 10-15 years anymore - those days are gone !!
like everything else, the life expectancy these days is about 5 years !!!! Many tv's are develop faults after a couple of years ( if you read through the AV forum you'll read about lost of faulty tv's ).
saarnold

sounds expensive if they only last that long, My friends Kuro is still going strong.

They don't build them like the Kuro anymore

Do TV's actually break that quickly then? Because I find 5 years quite unacceptable. That's just ridiculous if true. Have they done tests on that?

Hell I've got two tv's that are about 15 years old. Yes I would damm well expect that life expectancy out of them. If you don't then you give the manufacturers the oppertunity ti rip you off....

Hi Alien, I am not sure they build tv's to last between 10-15 years anymore - those days are gone !!
like everything else, the life expectancy these days is about 5 years !!!! Many tv's are develop faults after a couple of years ( if you read through the AV forum you'll read about lost of faulty tv's ).
saarnold

My first PLASMA was a "Pre-HD" Panasonic... i got it a year or so before HD & HDMi existed.....

42''. I gave it to my dad when i moved to Kuro 5 years later.
Its still running in his living room without problem. Its now more than 10 years old. The stand came with it back then, and matched the contour of the bottom of the tv. You dont get stuff like that these days!

100001938_1_.jpg

Last edited:
I am talking todays tv, not the Kuro's and older that were built like tanks - i had a Sony Trinitron in 1981 ( can't remember which model but it was top of the range ) and didn't upgrade until 1998 - i honestly don't think the majority of tv's wouldn't last that long these days - give or take the odd tv.
saarnold

I am talking todays tv, not the Kuro's and older that were built like tanks - i had a Sony Trinitron in 1981 ( can't remember which model but it was top of the range ) and didn't upgrade until 1998 - i honestly don't think the majority of tv's wouldn't last that long these days - give or take the odd tv.
saarnold

Probably not.......... but if i remember rightly telly always broke down in the old days....... and VHS players!.......... They were always fixable tho...... and tellys never moved on from the mid-70's till flat scren CRTs , apart from the cabinet moving away from wood to plastic.

saarnold
Sorry t move away from the OP, it sounds like you had the same TV im currently using and working reasonably well .Im now getting the odd spikes and pixilation so guess the power supply or tube could be at fault. Its just that todays TV are not built to display SD or compressed divx/mepg movies very well compared to CRT.

for a expensive TV - I expect 10years out of them - I got a top LCD FALD in the bedroom that's a Samsung 42 inch that's around 6 maybe 7 years was a high end one back then, my livingroom TV is a Samsung ES 8000 which is 3 years old now again a high end model

I also had a Philips amibilight TV which was awesome - unfortunately didn't last long :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom