4k Receiver with Dolby Atmos & DTS:X to drive 4ohm speakers

Hawklan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a 7.1 Jamo D7 speaker setup which I am hoping to partner with a new 4K receiver.
As the D7's are 4ohm speakers I believe I need a receiver that it rated accordingly.

With a number of other upgrades on the card I really need to go down the path of least cost
As there are a number of receivers being released shortly, waiting is not a problem

Can you guys advise of the best bang for bucks route I can go

Many thanks

Ron

What is your budget for the receiver? Most of Marantz and Denon's new line up of receivers are rated for use with 4ohm speakers and D&M include both Atmos and DTS:X onboard most of the receivers they'll be releasing onto the market over the next few months. The cost will basically depen upon the number of channels you want or need and maybe your room's size as far as the power of the receiver is concerned. Prices range fromunder £500 for a entry level 7.1 receiver to over £2K for Denon's flagship model. If wanting more than 7 channels then you'll need about £1.5K.

Hi

Thanks for the really comprehensive response
I'd be happy with 7 channels for now, if the receiver has the option to add additional power to bring it up to 9 or 11 channels that would be great

Budget wise under 1k would be great

Many thanks

Ron

The Denon AVRX3200 would be within your budget as would the Marantz SR6010. These are both 7.1 receivers with 9 channel processing that allows for an additional 2 channels of external amplification to be used to give you a 9.1 setup. There's also the Denon AVRX4200 for just over your budget and this also is a 7.1 receiver with 9 channel processing.

Suggested pricing and availability:
Marantz SR6010 £900 September
Denon AVRX3200W £750 August
Denon AVRX4200W £1,100 September

If wanting more than 9 channels then you'd need to increase you budget up to about £1,500 and you'd need to be looking at receivers like the Marantz SR7010. This is a 9 channel receiver than can process 11 channels if you add 2 more channels of external amplification to give you an 11.1 setup. This has a suggestd price of £1,400 and will be available sometime in October.

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks very much
Initially I was thinking of going down the Onkyo route, either the TX-NR747 or the TX-RZ800, as I currently have a old Integra Research Pre-Pro setup, which was Onkyo's high end division. It seems however that they are not very popular here for reliability reasons. I understand that Pioneer and Onkyo have merged, do you feel that this will help reliability?

Saying all that, I am tempted by the Marantz

Many thanks

Ron

The merger isn't as yet complete and the components used in both Pioneer and Onkyo receivers are still specific to those brands. There's also as yet no amalgamation of tech between the two concerns. The only thing that appears to have changed is the design of the Onkyo receivers which now look very similar to the design of Pioneer's receivers. I'd not rate the Onkyo receivers at this price point as being very good value for money, especially now that Onkyo have dropped Audyssey in favour of their own AccuEQ room EQ system. AccuEQ is widely criticised.

Probably the most comparable receiver to the aforementioned sub £1K models mentioned above would be the 7 channel TX-RX800. This will be available in August for just over £1K. Unlike the Marantz and Denon models mentioned, it has no ability to go beyond its 7 channels of amplification.

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks for coming back to me again
It looks like I'll go for the Marantz SR6010. I would like to be able to support 7.2.4, this would mean the Marantz SR7010 which will be out of my price range

Thanks very much for your really helpful advice

Ron

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom