4k projectors, 1080p source, likely screen door effect

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by UltimateUser, Jan 9, 2018.

1. UltimateUser

UltimateUser
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have an 'old' Epson 5040UB, 1080p projector (no 4k enhanced) but want to project a bigger screen size (150"+). However, any bigger with this projector produces noticeable Screen Door Effect (SDE). So I'm considering upgrading.

Which type of projector should I buy that will allow me to go bigger? Options are to upgrade to the newer pixel-shifting '4k' model, or similar, or wait 6-12 months for the genuine 4k to come down more in price. Note, I anticipate using 1080p source, and often DVD, for the next 1-3 years as HDR/4k content is hard/expensive to get here in Australia. So I expect to upgrade my PC and use MadVR for up-scaling the 1080p Blu-ray source. So obviously, HDR is not a major consideration in the upgrade. So opinions please, 4k enhanced or 4k genuine, or either - or should I forget the whole idea because 1080p and lower res. will just look very poor on a 4k projector?

Cheers!

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,206
    I own a fauK projector with a Panasonic UB700 UHD player which does a good job of upscaling BD and DVD to 4k and there's no visible screen door. BD looks pretty close to UHD res wise and even DVD looks pretty good if the source is good - it's obviously softer but you get used to that and if the movie is good you will probably forget about it. Poor sources will of course be disappointing.

I sit a bit closer than most (approx 90 ins from 104" wide screen) with no problems so you should be fine too.

Resolution wise there's visibly not much difference between fauK and native 4K except possibly in static scenes when doing split screen comparisons (between 4K and fauK), so get a demo of the Epson TW7300/9300/LS10500 and JVC range as well as the native 4K Sony's to see what you think - ideally you need to do direct comparisons so you can see what the differences are.

Although the UB700/900 are very good at upscaling, MadVR is better still, so you should be pleased with the results.