4K projector - video blacking out

cybergambit

Hi all,

Have just swapped out my 1080p projector with a 4K projector (Benq DLP).

A couple of issues I’m facing:

1. When using my Firestick 4K or Roku Stick (both 2160p), the video blacks out for 5-10 seconds when going from the menu into a show/movie or vice versa. The audio still plays. This is very, very annoying because it means I have to pause the show/movie until the video flicks on and then resume playing. This doesn’t happen when I run the projector in 1080p mode (HDMI 2 input which is only HDCP 1.4).

Is it a fixable settings thing on the AVR (Denon x2300w)? or Projector... or even the streaming sticks? Or is it something that I just have to live with? I’m honestly considering going back to my 1080p projector if that’s the case - can’t pay 4K projector prices to end up using the 1080p setting on the new projector anyway.

2. There is a weird buzzing noise coming from the projector which goes on and off randomly (nothing correlating to what’s happening on screen/signal changes). It’s almost sounds like an electric razor - is this normal or could it be lose casing or something? It never happened with my 1080p 3LCD, so I was wondering if it’s a DLP thing?

Thanks

Marky1973

What HDMI cable are you using? An older one might struggle with the 4k signal, especially if a long run?

And. Does the BenQ have a dynamic Iris? I have no idea if it does, but that can sound like a buzz as it is adjusting from scene to scene. Just turn it off and you'll be good.

cybergambit

What HDMI cable are you using? An older one might struggle with the 4k signal, especially if a long run?

And. Does the BenQ have a dynamic Iris? I have no idea if it does, but that can sound like a buzz as it is adjusting from scene to scene. Just turn it off and you'll be good.
Hi,

I’m using a new 2160p advertised HDMI cable, but it is a 10metre length...

4K HDMI Cable 10M HDMI Lead - Ultra High-Speed 18Gbps HDMI 2.0b Cord [email protected] UHD 2160p - IBRA ORANGE Amazon product
I’ve used the projector a bit more this evening and the black between selecting and returning to menus is not 5-10secs, it’s closer to 30-40secs which is unbearable. It cannot be right and something must be set incorrectly. I agree it may be the cable so I’m going to attempt a standard 2m cable tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

Regarding the noise, my previous projector was an Epson and so had the same dynamics iris, that noise was more like an old camera shutter - this is definitely more like a rattle/buzz of components/casing.

alebonau

This doesn’t happen when I run the projector in 1080p mode (HDMI 2 input which is only HDCP 1.4).
theres you clue :)

two things fire sticks and roku are atrocious with issues folks see with hdcp... can use a simple hdmi splitter as a pass through (these cheapy things inadvertently strip hdcp) I have a fta TV HDPVR with known poor programming that this works to resolve... this can cause its own issues.... but it might are able to see something instead of the black outs !

K HDMI Cable 10M HDMI Lead - Ultra High-Speed 18Gbps HDMI 2.0b Cord [email protected] UHD 2160p - IBRA ORANGE
can i suggest buy a monoprice premium certified cable eg below,

these are certified to work by hdmi.org and VERY affordable.. even if to verify using source next to it to see if eliminates or narrows down issue as cable...as unfortunately 10m is a stretch on cables... at that length there is only one cable i would suggest in the ruipro but they are expensive. there is a lot of other stuff and uncertified and will be a gamble...

Marky1973

Hi,

I’m using a new 2160p advertised HDMI cable, but it is a 10metre length...

4K HDMI Cable 10M HDMI Lead - Ultra High-Speed 18Gbps HDMI 2.0b Cord [email protected] UHD 2160p - IBRA ORANGE Amazon product
I’ve used the projector a bit more this evening and the black between selecting and returning to menus is not 5-10secs, it’s closer to 30-40secs which is unbearable. It cannot be right and something must be set incorrectly. I agree it may be the cable so I’m going to attempt a standard 2m cable tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

Regarding the noise, my previous projector was an Epson and so had the same dynamics iris, that noise was more like an old camera shutter - this is definitely more like a rattle/buzz of components/casing.

My old one was '4k' but it wasn't wholly reliable.... The members here recommended this atzebe one and it works fine now.

ATZEBE HDMI Cable 10M, Fibre Optic HDMI Cable High Speed 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 Support [email protected] HDR10, 4:4:4, 3D, ARC, HEC, CEC, HDCP 2.2 Amazon product
I am not sure what the rattling could be, you might need someone with the same PJ to comment on that if you are sure it's not the iris.... Worth turning off to check, if you haven't already.

cybergambit

Posting a quick video to show what I mean by a buzzing sound (ignore the background fan noise, which I of course know is standard). Surely this buzzing is not normal?

Apologies if this is not the correct way to post a video - I wasn’t sure how.

(realising I didn’t put a link):

Last edited:

cybergambit

I have also now tested the connection using a Certified HDMI cable which was only 1m long and the speed of switching is dramatically improved when going from menu to content and vice versa - however it is still around 10seconds (painful 10seconds). This may indicate what @alebonau said regarding the HDCP handshaking causing the delays. I will add a HDMI splitter into the fold and see what happens there.

alebonau

I have also now tested the connection using a Certified HDMI cable which was only 1m long and the speed of switching is dramatically improved when going from menu to content and vice versa - however it is still around 10seconds (painful 10seconds). This may indicate what @alebonau said regarding the HDCP handshaking causing the delays. I will add a HDMI splitter into the fold and see what happens there.

Great to hear things improved !
But You might be surprised that 10sec is not unusual :D for synch times !

definitely ry the splitter ... nothing to loose...here we can buy from retailers who take back no questions asked, if doesnt do what want, don’t know if have any like that your way...also keep in mind these splitter/ stripper thing can potentially cause own issues,,, but won’t know till try :)

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom