4K projector for £4K ??

kilo one one

Standard Member
Hi folks, I see a few similar posts but didn’t want to hijack anyone else’s topic, but I’m on the search for a new projector but am years out of date on the technology, so would really appreciate some advice.

Unfortunately due to my own stupidity my trusty JVC HD350 has died after 11 years of use (i dropped it while refitting after some building work).

Looking at current state of the art, and if I stretch my budget I think i can just about afford a sony VPL-VW290ES as they've come down to £4k (I assume as a result of their announcement of a new product line up).

My criteria are:
  1. I assume not DLP as my last experience of DLP (12 years ago) was migraines induced by the rainbow effect (don't know if technology has eliminated it but i was particularly sensitive)
  2. ceiling mounted
  3. suitable for current 120inch grandview medium gain screen
  4. room is white painted but with heavy curtains and mainly used at night/evening
  5. 6m by 3.2m room has floor to ceiling windows at both ends so a larged fixed telly is impossible
  6. main source is a blue-ray movie library and streaming disney+ etc.
  7. JVC was only used for about 6hrs per week (so lamp life is probably not that major a concern)
  8. will be a keeper (so expect to have it >10years)
  9. I would have liked an automatic lens shutter (wife won't be able to reach it) but appreciate the sony doesn't have this
  10. no pets, so hopefully low dust environment.
from the reviews I've read the sony sounds to be particularly good at upscaling from blueray to 4k so sound ideal for us.

I'm open to other ideas, but being based in Stirling second hand or ex demo options round here seem pretty limited. Wondering if i need to move quickly to get the sony at that price.

hopefully the foregoing makes sense.
regards
Kilo

3rdignis

kilo one one

Standard Member
Thanks, that’s really interesting, good savings on the 290…. Brings the 590 into play as well, unfortunately only in store, I’ll try giving them a call and see if they could ship one. Think they closed their Glasgow branch (or maybe just moved it, I’ll investigate)

kbfern

Distinguished Member
As above post points out 3 ex dem 590ES available with full warranty at £3999. Great bargain but be quick as they are nearly all gone, they were £7k normally when totally new.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Don't see why they won't ship one even if they charge for the shipping.

3rdignis

3rdignis

This looks like the manual iris on the 590.

Screenshot_20220502-221644_Drive.jpg

kilo one one

Standard Member
Don't see why they won't ship one even if they charge for the shipping.
Looks like it’s not going to work. Spoke to Sevenoaks (one sold already), they are not keen as their courier company won’t insure them. Checked with parcel force to see if I could arrange collection myself but they only insure up to 2.5k and exclude fragile electronics in any case. Probably back to 290es from a Glasgow store in that case.

No idea how these things are shipped as new?

kbfern

Distinguished Member
They must be telling porkies as like you say they ship them out when new so as long as they have the original box and all the inner packaging there is no difference.

Also what happens when these things need shipping back and forth under warranty who covers the risk then?

kilo one one

Standard Member
They must be telling porkies as like you say they ship them out when new so as long as they have the original box and all the inner packaging there is no difference.

Also what happens when these things need shipping back and forth under warranty who covers the risk then?
I assume there's also a bit of them knowing they can easily sell them without the hassle factor of dealing with someone so far away.

shame the glasgow store closed, most of my original hi fi came from there (albeit 20 years ago), used to be among the best in scotland.

found the 290es locally for £3800 new, think i'll just go for that unless anyone else has a better idea. apart from the loss of brightness compared to the 590 i'm not seeing much difference in the specs.

smashmouse

I was considering one of those 590es from Sevenoaks but ended up going for a 290es. Had to decide between new £3800 from RS or ex-dem low lamp from Sevenoaks. Spoke to them about price not being compelling (£3500) and got down to £3300. So I went with that. For me, more a case of personal circumstances, wanted to jump to laser but I'm hoping to move house in couple of years so will decide then on my projection needs so decided to reduce my current investment.

mikemag

Distinguished Member
I was considering one of those 590es from Sevenoaks but ended up going for a 290es. Had to decide between new £3800 from RS or ex-dem low lamp from Sevenoaks. Spoke to them about price not being compelling (£3500) and got down to £3300. So I went with that. For me, more a case of personal circumstances, wanted to jump to laser but I'm hoping to move house in couple of years so will decide then on my projection needs so decided to reduce my current investment.
I’ve been using a 290 since last November and in my opinion I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with the purchase, it’s a fantastic piece of kit.

I have to admit that reading the threads about the new Sony lasers was a bit annoying, especially since even though I got a decent discount from my retailer I still paid over £4k for it. Then I actually sat down and watched a couple of movies in one sitting and I realised that there’ll always be something newer but that doesn’t make existing tech suddenly obsolete so I’m enjoying what I have.

One piece of advice though, get it calibrated, there was a noticeable difference in the quality of the image after Gordon Fraser had worked his magic.

kilo one one

Standard Member
I’ve been using a 290 since last November and in my opinion I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with the purchase, it’s a fantastic piece of kit.

I have to admit that reading the threads about the new Sony lasers was a bit annoying, especially since even though I got a decent discount from my retailer I still paid over £4k for it. Then I actually sat down and watched a couple of movies in one sitting and I realised that there’ll always be something newer but that doesn’t make existing tech suddenly obsolete so I’m enjoying what I have.

One piece of advice though, get it calibrated, there was a noticeable difference in the quality of the image after Gordon Fraser had worked his magic.
Good to hear from happy 290 owners. I’m sure it will be a worthwhile upgrade from my old jvc, I would be been perfectly happy to keep running that for a few years as I never felt I was missing out, damaging it was genuinely heartbreaking, albeit that could be just because I’m a tight Scotsman.

I think with any major purchase there’s always that buyers remorse wishing you’d paid less (better bargain) or been brave enough to pay more (chasing those diminishing returns)

In any case I hope I get as much entertaining from the Sony as I got from its predecessor. 🤞

apollo1965

Spoke to Sevenoaks today about the 590 and was told they don't ship as they have a glass lens and it will break if they ship it. I was to gobsmacked to even continue the conversation

paulw77

Spoke to Sevenoaks today about the 590 and was told they don't ship as they have a glass lens and it will break if they ship it. I was to gobsmacked to even continue the conversation
I emailed them last week about the same thing. The Sevenoaks branch said "no chance". The Guildford branch said "yes, no problem" !

Looks like the Guildford one is sold now, so no chance of the other one being shipped it seems.

kilo one one

Standard Member
Got my 290es installed yesterday, turned into a bit of a hassle as it doesn’t fit my universal projector mount, ended up having to use some spare stainless steel threaded rod, but got there in the end.

Second snag, was looking to use a 4K fire stick as source, but the audio extractor I bought from Amazon doesn’t seem to be through putting any picture (irrespective of source or resolution). Have it running fine though an old 1080 Amazon basics extractor, but I guess I’m missing out on a lot.
With just the 1080 input it noticeably brighter than my old jvc, definitely much higher contrast, might try it again tonight with the lower light setting. Wish I could have compared them side by side.

Now thinking do I need to upgrade my receiver for one with pass through 4K hdmi…. It’s a slippery slope.

3rdignis

I don't think the 290 has a manual iris, does it?

You can also change brightness with screen size, screen gain and throw.

Pond lining and electrical tape won't damage double glazing.

I wouldn't make a final judgment on brightness until 50 hrs.

smashmouse

Now thinking do I need to upgrade my receiver for one with pass through 4K hdmi…. It’s a slippery slope.
I use a HDFury device and just pass audio to my receiver now. I'm frustrated with HDMI and not happy upgrading receiver every time it changes. I will upgrade eventually once I move to atmos but that won't be in my current home.

Pulse1

Got my 290es installed yesterday, turned into a bit of a hassle as it doesn’t fit my universal projector mount, ended up having to use some spare stainless steel threaded rod, but got there in the end.

Second snag, was looking to use a 4K fire stick as source, but the audio extractor I bought from Amazon doesn’t seem to be through putting any picture (irrespective of source or resolution). Have it running fine though an old 1080 Amazon basics extractor, but I guess I’m missing out on a lot.
With just the 1080 input it noticeably brighter than my old jvc, definitely much higher contrast, might try it again tonight with the lower light setting. Wish I could have compared them side by side.

I wouldn't bother with sending HDR to your 290es as it will have to seriously manipulate the HDR content in an inaccurate way so i would say stick with 1080p SDR and you will have a fantastic image. Projectors unfortunately just aren't designed for HDR content as they simply cannot output 1000 nits peak brightness and above anyway. So you will not loose out on anything by sending 1080p SDR to your 290es and getting the best image from it. Regarding upgrading to a receiver with 4k hdmi passthrough i would say for the best most accurate image sent to your 290es i wouldn't be sending it through an av receiver as although they can passthrough the video signal it gets degraded as i have tried multiple av receivers and everyone of them have degraded the video signal.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB Speakers unveils Passif 50 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung Gaming Hub goes live
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand