Answered 4K Projector Advice & Watching SkyQ UHD

utter

Hi,

Perhaps some of you would be kind enough to offer a bit of advice on a projector upgrade to 4K, on a budget of around £3500. New, or ex-showroom models.

It would be mostly used for watching Sky/BT Sports, making use of their UHD content and 4K movies on discs.

I recently had a chance to try out a JVC DLA X-5000, but Sky couldn’t recognise the projector as able to receive the UHD signal, even when using a direct connection (ie. not through the receiver). A review I read noted similar problems when trying to access the Sky UHD signal with an Epson TW 9300. My amp is an Onkyo TX NR 828.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Try and pick up a second hand epson ls10500 (one is on eBay now I think) or jvc x7900, they’re may be a couple of those coming for sale in the coming weeks due to the impeding deliveries of the jvc x7

diablo

Last edited:

Luminated67

More often than not it’s a problem with the cable due to the projector being much further away and the cable exceeding 7-8m. If this is the case we you then the best option is a opticHDMI which you can buy from Amazon for £50/10m run, this is what I’m using with not problems.

utter

Thanks for the replies folks, they really are very helpful. I’d half convinced myself that SkyQ wouldn’t work through projectors that weren’t native 4K. Now I know any problems with that are probably due to the cabling I’m willing to be a bit patient sorting it out.

I’d noticed the Epson 10500 on eBay, but I’m cautious of a cash only transaction. I’m very tempted by the JVC 7900. The Epson 9400 is attractive too, since I’ll be upgrading from an Epson 9000, which has been a fine projector with a great HD picture.

Thanks again for the assistance.

DavidHolden

Hi mate, just saw your post and wanted to give you my experience with upgrading to a 4K projector because I had a similar budget to you. Forget Faux-K stuff. Me and my wife went to view a demo of a BenQ 4K pixel-shift projector in Richer Sounds Liverpool and it looked exactly the same as our (then current) BenQ W3000 projector from the same viewing distance (about 3 metres away).

I phoned projectorpoint.co.uk and asked for their advice on what to buy. I think the options in their ex-demo section of the website was a BenQ W11000 (I think it uses a 2K chip with a similar pixel-shift thing as the other Faux-K models, and it was the only one certified by THX at the time), the other was one the one I eventually purchased, the Sony VPL-VW260ES. All I can say is Wow! What a projector! I paid roughly £3,600 for the projector and they threw in a NueTec 18Gbps Active Optical HDMI cable 12 metre for free (worth £120). The projector had zero hours on it and came with a full warranty. Sony's 1500 lumens rating is much brighter than BenQ's 2200 lumens rating, something I was worried about when looking at the spec sheet. I've looked at their ex-demo section of the site and they haven't got anything in your price range at the moment but keep checking for deals.

SkyQ UHD content looks fantastic through it. The footy is crystal clear and the films even without HDR look great. 4K Blu-rays with HDR absolutely blow you away.

Anyway, have fun doing your research!

Love1542

Hi just put my sky q on to my new epson tw9400 but I can’t het 10bit. I have a 15m optical cable that works fine with Apple TV getting all the hdr content from Netflix. Tried running cable on its own and thought the Marantz 8802a. Thanks for looking