Question 4K player

Davekale86

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my current player is officially dead won’t come back on and keeps flashing red powered it off and left it still doing the same thing so looking at new players I am tempted to either get the Sony X800/X800m2 or the Panasonic Ub820 I have the budget for both but was wondering which one would be better? My current tv has all the HDR10/plus/Dolby Vision modes thanks

Not much choice at the moment probably because of you know what. You're basically stuck with Sony and Panasonic. Most, if not all will do what you require and it has to be asked how deep are your pockets and that's about it.

Not much choice at the moment probably because of you know what. You're basically stuck with Sony and Panasonic. Most, if not all will do what you require and it has to be asked how deep are your pockets and that's about it.
No worries was gonna get the Panny but seems to be out of stock will get the Sony I think not a huge fan of the weird Dolby Vision implementation that you have to turn it on for DV discs and off but hey ho or could get the X700 instead

No worries was gonna get the Panny but seems to be out of stock will get the Sony I think not a huge fan of the weird Dolby Vision implementation that you have to turn it on for DV discs and off but hey ho or could get the X700 instead
It's certainly going to be availability at the moment. I've not got a Panasonic nor a Sony but I have to agree Sony do some odd things with both their AV amps and players. Just don't like making life simple.

It's certainly going to be availability at the moment. I've not got a Panasonic nor a Sony but I have to agree Sony do some odd things with both their AV amps and players. Just don't like making life simple.
Yep that’s Sony for you I’d love the Oppo 4K player but too much for me at the moment might wait for the panny to come back into stock

Oppos are going for silly prices on the secondary market. The mantle for audio has been taken up by Pioneer but there are none around because of Pioneer and parent company Onkyo's financial problems. I don't know if that has now been sorted but there are new AV amps from Onkyo and Pioneer announced so hopefully the Pioneer LX500/800 will start appearing again. They were on the market for £1000 and £2300 respectively.

Start saving. :smashin:

Oppos are going for silly prices on the secondary market. The mantle for audio has been taken up by Pioneer but there are none around because of Pioneer and parent company Onkyo's financial problems. I don't know if that has now been sorted but there are new AV amps from Onkyo and Pioneer announced so hopefully the Pioneer LX500/800 will start appearing again. They were on the market for £1000 and £2300 respectively.

Start saving. :smashin:
I’d love an Oppo but might have to stick to either the Panny or Sony for now 👍

What about the LG UBK90? It supports Dolby Vision without Sony's weirdness although neither HDR10+ nor HLG (which the Panasonic DP-UB820 does).

What about the LG UBK90? It supports Dolby Vision without Sony's weirdness although neither HDR10+ nor HLG (which the Panasonic DP-UB820 does).

Probably the worst player known along with it predecessor UP-970, been there, sent its back, got the teeshirt. Look at the forum for both models.

OP if you want HDR10 / HDR 10+ / Dolby Video, the UB820 is really the only choice at the moment. LG and Sony don't support HDR10+.

Probably the worst player known along with it predecessor UP-970, been there, sent its back, got the teeshirt. Look at the forum for both models.

OP if you want HDR10 / HDR 10+ / Dolby Video, the UB820 is really the only choice at the moment. LG and Sony don't support HDR10+.
Yeah is there many 4K discs with HDR 10 +? I have Alien and that is I can use the ps5 for now even though the playback isn’t as good as a standalone player until the Panny comes back into stock

Yeah is there many 4K discs with HDR 10 +? I have Alien and that is I can use the ps5 for now even though the playback isn’t as good as a standalone player until the Panny comes back into stock
No, less than 5% and of that 5% a large proportion also have Dolby Vision too.

And why do we have to purchase an upper end model to get and LCD display??!? (which is on the Panasonic DP-UB820 but not lower models).

And why do we have to purchase an upper end model to get and LCD display??!? (which is on the Panasonic DP-UB820 but not lower models).
I have LCD displays on UB9000 and UB820. Both are turned off...

Does anybody own a Panasonic Ub820? Im looking for a UHD bluray player. I have had issues with a few already. The UB9000 and the Oppo would freeze on mulit layer discs it seemed, returned those. I've also read about weird black level issues where the matte bars during a movie would show some odd patterns. My Xbox One X does this during play back sometimes...it also does this weird thing where the video seems to go into slow motion for about a second every once in a while....weird. I'm just looking for a UHD disc player that will just work and do Dolby Vision and HDR10. I run a LG C9 and a Denon receiver. Is the Ub820 a solid choice? Does it do anything weird when youre watching movies?

Last edited:
Does anybody own a Panasonic Ub820? Im looking for a UHD bluray player. I have had issues with a few already. The UB9000 and the Oppo would freeze on mulit layer discs it seemed, returned those. I've also read about weird black level issues where the matte bars during a movie would show some odd patterns. My Xbox One X does this during play back sometimes...it also does this weird thing where the video seems to go into slow motion for about a second every once in a while....weird. I'm just looking for a UHD disc player that will just work and do Dolby Vision and HDR10. I run a LG C9 and a Denon receiver. Is the Ub820 a solid choice? Does it do anything weird when youre watching movies?
Was gonna get the Ub820 but decided for the Sony x800m2 instead probably on par with each other I’d imagine the Panny might be a bit better as it does HDR10+ and you don’t have to turn off Dolby Vision in the settings like the Sony if you can get the Panny then I’d say get it going off reviews it’s a cracker for the price

I just bought a Sony UBP-X500. My choice was fairly limited as I wanted SACD support. This low end model satisfied my needs. At first, the lack of any display seemed odd but I soon got to like it and I don't feel any loss. I have got into the habit of running my Denon X3200W in pure direct mode when playing my SACDs so that its display is also off. Just one little green LED on each. I like it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom