4K player for legacy DVD/Blu-Ray collection

Dave Wishart

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a 4k player to complement a to-be-delivered 55" LG G1; I'm currently using a PS3. I mostly have several hundred DVD's but a growing BR collection. Where I feel the reviews appropriate I'll substitute for 4K.

My shortlist is:-

Sony x800M2
Panasonic 820 or UB9000
Reavon x100/x110

Just to add I don't need SACD.

My thoughts are the UB9000 may be a little overkill given I've got got it connected to a projector.

Any observations from those who have used them?

Dave Wishart

Fred Smith

Erm…I was hoping to reduce the list 😁🙄
Your budget appears to be very wide, perhaps you could be more specific or narrow it?
Example, do you need DV?

Dave Wishart

Your budget appears to be very wide, perhaps you could be more specific or narrow it?
Example, do you need DV?
It would be good to have as my new LG OLED supports it. The only reason that the list is wide is that when researching Panasonic, there quite a few comments that suggest people have swapped out their 820s from 9000's due to build quality and given them a better option to modify later.

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a 4k player to complement a to-be-delivered 55" LG G1; I'm currently using a PS3. I mostly have several hundred DVD's but a growing BR collection. Where I feel the reviews appropriate I'll substitute for 4K.

My shortlist is:-

Sony x800M2
Panasonic 820 or UB9000
Reavon x100/x110

Just to add I don't need SACD.

My thoughts are the UB9000 may be a little overkill given I've got got it connected to a projector.

Any observations from those who have used them?
I've got X800M2, UB820 and UB9000.
All have much the same PQ but the Panasonic players win out for having less reported playback problems like disc freezes and stutters.
I'd suggest you go for a UB820 as it's the best bang for the buck unless you want to spring for the UB9000 for its better build and slightly quieter disc playback.

The X800M2 is better if you are wanting to also playback files albeit at the cost of not having auto detect and auto switching for Dolby Vision (round trip to the player settings are needed to turn on/off Dolby Vision playback.).

Dave Wishart

I've got X800M2, UB820 and UB9000.
All have much the same PQ but the Panasonic players win out for having less reported playback problems like disc freezes and stutters.
I'd suggest you go for a UB820 as it's the best bang for the buck unless you want to spring for the UB9000 for its better build and slightly quieter disc playback.

The X800M2 is better if you are wanting to also playback files albeit at the cost of not having auto detect and auto switching for Dolby Vision (round trip to the player settings are needed to turn on/off Dolby Vision playback.).
Thanks. The primary use is disk playback so I'll go for a Panasonic. If/when streaming from my NAS becomes a priority I'll probably get a Dune (albeit based on this thread) unless someone thinks better.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom