4K player for legacy DVD/Blu-Ray collection

Dave Wishart

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a 4k player to complement a to-be-delivered 55" LG G1; I'm currently using a PS3. I mostly have several hundred DVD's but a growing BR collection. Where I feel the reviews appropriate I'll substitute for 4K.

My shortlist is:-

Sony x800M2
Panasonic 820 or UB9000
Reavon x100/x110

Just to add I don't need SACD.

My thoughts are the UB9000 may be a little overkill given I've got got it connected to a projector.

Any observations from those who have used them?

All good, but add the Sony X700 and Panasonic UB450 to the list.

Erm…I was hoping to reduce the list 😁🙄
Your budget appears to be very wide, perhaps you could be more specific or narrow it?
Example, do you need DV?

Your budget appears to be very wide, perhaps you could be more specific or narrow it?
Example, do you need DV?
It would be good to have as my new LG OLED supports it. The only reason that the list is wide is that when researching Panasonic, there quite a few comments that suggest people have swapped out their 820s from 9000's due to build quality and given them a better option to modify later.

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a 4k player to complement a to-be-delivered 55" LG G1; I'm currently using a PS3. I mostly have several hundred DVD's but a growing BR collection. Where I feel the reviews appropriate I'll substitute for 4K.

Sony x800M2
Panasonic 820 or UB9000
Reavon x100/x110

My thoughts are the UB9000 may be a little overkill given I've got got it connected to a projector.

I've got X800M2, UB820 and UB9000.
All have much the same PQ but the Panasonic players win out for having less reported playback problems like disc freezes and stutters.
I'd suggest you go for a UB820 as it's the best bang for the buck unless you want to spring for the UB9000 for its better build and slightly quieter disc playback.

The X800M2 is better if you are wanting to also playback files albeit at the cost of not having auto detect and auto switching for Dolby Vision (round trip to the player settings are needed to turn on/off Dolby Vision playback.).

I've got X800M2, UB820 and UB9000.
All have much the same PQ but the Panasonic players win out for having less reported playback problems like disc freezes and stutters.
I'd suggest you go for a UB820 as it's the best bang for the buck unless you want to spring for the UB9000 for its better build and slightly quieter disc playback.

The X800M2 is better if you are wanting to also playback files albeit at the cost of not having auto detect and auto switching for Dolby Vision (round trip to the player settings are needed to turn on/off Dolby Vision playback.).
Thanks. The primary use is disk playback so I'll go for a Panasonic. If/when streaming from my NAS becomes a priority I'll probably get a Dune (albeit based on this thread) unless someone thinks better.

All good, but add the Sony X700 and Panasonic UB450 to the list.
Do you have experience of use between the sony x700 and panasonic ub450 and if so which do you prefer? I have the Sony x800 and only require something to play Dolby Vision. Read elsewhere that the X800Mk2 is a pain, as you need to turn on man the DV. Will keep the x800 as backup device and also to play SACD, just wish sony had put DV in it in the first place as i like the build quality of it but relaise that either of the above options are not on par with it..

I have both machines, along with the Panasonic 820.

I like both the Sony 700 and Panasonic 450. They both have their plusses and minuses. The big issue with the Sony box is to have to toggle DV, but to my ears it does a better job playing music CDs than the Panasonic box. Build quality is better too. The Panasonic 450 has the edge picture-wise, but doesn't have any streaming services.

If you want a basic no-frills machine then probably the Panasonic 450 is the box to go for. Bear in mind that the Sony X700 has been revised so there is a mark 2 version. I don't know what the differences are but it might be worth finding out as that might impact your decision.

I have both machines, along with the Panasonic 820.

I like both the Sony 700 and Panasonic 450. They both have their plusses and minuses. The big issue with the Sony box is to have to toggle DV, but to my ears it does a better job playing music CDs than the Panasonic box. Build quality is better too. The Panasonic 450 has the edge picture-wise, but doesn't have any streaming services.

If you want a basic no-frills machine then probably the Panasonic 450 is the box to go for. Bear in mind that the Sony X700 has been revised so there is a mark 2 version. I don't know what the differences are but it might be worth finding out as that might impact your decision.
Pan 450 it is, as more for picture. However the x700m has the lastest software updates and HDMI harware connection, apparently it is suffering from freezing. Who knows if certain batches, ect. Streaming which i do next to nothing of can be via the TV anyway,

Thanks for your quick response, much appreciated :smashin:

I have two Sony & one LG, the LG pales in comparison in my experience.
Not all X700 are created equal. 1 I have will not play certain discs well, & the other is just fine.
1 of them used to have a problem switching layers on UHD discs, but I think that was solved with a firmware update.

Hi all,

Sony x800M2
Panasonic 820 or UB9000
Reavon x100/x110

I suggest none of them. They are either not good enough or more then you need.

I highly suggest the Panasonic UB820. It's the best player at it's price point. And it does handle Dolby Vision. It's a very good player. I have one.

I bought the 9000 after reading a review here. No regrets. It plays SD and Blu-ray very well. Excellent machine. Sure, I would probably be happy with the 820, but it was during Covid and I had the money after a cancelled holiday. Now that money is tight, I might go for the 820.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

Oh yeah, the 9000 also does a nice job of playing CDs.

Yet another overpriced player.
That's very nice of you to say so. I understood this forum to be for members looking to own the best quality equipment they can afford.

Another vote for the UB820 - I have one it's a great player imo. The only minor gripe (and I'm being picky here) is the standard non back-lit remote...

However this can easily be resolved with the purchase of one of these:

ALLIMITY N2QAYA000172 Remote Control Replaced for Panasonic UHD Blu-Ray Player DP-UB9000 DP-UB9004 DP-UB9004EGK DP-UB9000EGK DP-UB9000GNK https://amzn.eu/d/eGzF5yB

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Although very expensive the New Pannde PD-6 is supposed to be the danglies.

What costs £2100-£2400?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom