Question 4K over 15 meters - HDMI, Fibre, Ethernet = one confused consumer

Does SKY+ HD work correctly when connected directly to the TV?

Is your HDMI Switch externally powered?

Joe

Does SKY+ HD work correctly when connected directly to the TV?

Is your HDMI Switch externally powered?

Joe

not sure as tv and cabinet with sky box are opposite ends of the room - it worked ok previously with my denon amp (ive sold up and gone soundbar route).

Switch is externally powered direct to mains yes.

Try bypassing the Switch - if you still have an issue try bypassing the Soundbar.

How long and what cable runs between the Switch and the Soundbar?

Joe

Try bypassing the Switch - if you still have an issue try bypassing the Soundbar.

How long and what cable runs between the Switch and the Soundbar?

Joe

ive outlined here.. but short version is 15mtr hdmi cable (fiber) - handles 4k dolby vision sources with no problem but doesnt like the old sky hd box for some reason.

We find our RuiPro4K Hybrid Fibre cables to be more ‘system’ friendly vs. any of the ‘all Fibre’ solutions we have tried.

The signal format is unlikely the issue - one potential issue is power, try installing a 5V HDMI Voltage inserter onto the far (TV) end of the Fibre cable.

Joe

We find our RuiPro4K Hybrid Fibre cables to be more ‘system’ friendly vs. any of the ‘all Fibre’ solutions we have tried.

The signal format is unlikely the issue - one potential issue is power, try installing a 5V HDMI Voltage inserter onto the far (TV) end of the Fibre cable.

Joe

even though its working fine with my uhd player, 4k apple tv ps4 pro etc?

HDMI versions are backward compatible so the switch should work with older versions. However as the sky HD box is quite old it could have some of its own issues which don't help.

Switches also can be problematic as HDMI can be fickle and some devices can take longer to switch. :(

You could always upgrade to Sky Q to get 4k, probably means giving sky more money though :censored:

HDMI is backwards compatible only in that the in-common options are available. IOW, an HDMI 2.0 source sending data to an HDMI 1.4 sink, or vice versa, will only be able to utilize the HDMI 1.4 option sets. That can cause issues if you are trying to use options that the lower HDMI chipset version is not coded for.

HDMI is backwards compatible only in that the in-common options are available. IOW, an HDMI 2.0 source sending data to an HDMI 1.4 sink, or vice versa, will only be able to utilize the HDMI 1.4 option sets. That can cause issues if you are trying to use options that the lower HDMI chipset version is not coded for.

Yes, I agree, I should have been more specific for example, in terms of switching so for example a HDMI version 2 switch will switch 1.4 and lower signals as well so shouldn't cause the specific issues seen.

HDMI 2.0 sources should drop down as you say, but HDMI is fickle :)

Aah yes, the mighty scart.

Halcyon days trying to squeeze them through holes in cabinets, then giving up and going with adapters and RCA cables.

The joy at switching to S-Video for 'extra clarity'...

Cutting pins in the plugs to make the cable unidirectional...

Nope, don't actually miss them one bit!

Though I wouldn't miss the HDMI CEC thing either if it disappeared.

Though I wouldn't miss the HDMI CEC thing either if it disappeared.

Yep. CEC was a good idea but associating it with ARC, and then not standardizing like the majority of the other HDMI option sets was a huge mistake and has caused more problems than a lof of folks are even aware of.

Joe

Joe,

can you recommend a 5v hdmi voltage inserter - i had a nosy over amazon and it seems mixed results when it comes to 4k/hdr/dolby vision/atmos/dts:x etc....

alternatively... could you recommend an hdmi switch that would cover all of the above for a 5 in 1 out as well - i genuinely dont understand why its easy enough to buy an amp to do all this but nobody has come up with a reliable hdmi switch to do it... sold my surround kit with amp to try and declutter but it seems im spending my days looking for extra devices to make it work simpler... sooo frustrating.

actually - reading reviews think im going to try this one..... ticks all my boxes

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I think that there are plenty of reliable HDMI switches out there, but Amazon is not the place to look for them. It has started to become a bit of a dumping ground for all sorts of cheap far east (Non-CE marked) electronics, that make wild and unsubstantiated claims about their hardware and Amazon really dont care.

People then have an expectation that the £11.99 Wan-Kee Ting Ultra Pro HDMI switch that is HDMI 1.3 will really do 18Gbs 4K 4:4;4 HDR and are disappointed when it wont. Then they expect somebody else like Kramer or CYP to produce a similar device that will, at £11.99.

Here is a CYP Switch which will do (4K2K@60Hz - YUV4:4:4),HDR (High Dynamic Range), 'Deep Color', and High Definition audio
https://www.ivojo.co.uk/component.php?pid=CYP_EL-41HP-4K22
CYP EL-41HP-4K22 - 4:1 4K HDMI 2.0 switcher £345.60 inc. VAT

it will do 4k 60Hz 4:4:4

1572515371861.png

But they are not cheap.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I think that there are plenty of reliable HDMI switches out there, but Amazon is not the place to look for them. It has started to become a bit of a dumping ground for all sorts of cheap far east (Non-CE marked) electronics, that make wild and unsubstantiated claims about their hardware and Amazon really dont care.

People then have an expectation that the £11.99 Wan-Kee Ting Ultra Pro HDMI switch that is HDMI 1.3 will really do 18Gbs 4K 4:4;4 HDR and are disappointed when it wont. Then they expect somebody else like Kramer or CYP to produce a similar device that will, at £11.99.

Here is a CYP Switch which will do (4K2K@60Hz - YUV4:4:4),HDR (High Dynamic Range), 'Deep Color', and High Definition audio
CYP EL-41HP-4K22 - 4:1 4K HDMI 2.0 switcher
CYP EL-41HP-4K22 - 4:1 4K HDMI 2.0 switcher £345.60 inc. VAT

it will do 4k 60Hz 4:4:4

View attachment 1213756

But they are not cheap.

thanks - that makes a lot more sense - what gets me is that i can buy an amp for around £250 that does all the extra but i cant get a simple HDMI switcher for what should be cheaper given that it does less.....

the one you posted would be ideal but i need at least 5 and the cheapest one i see there is £408.... thats well into AVR territory...

Main issues are economies of scale - Lots of AVRs out there. Joe public wouldnt know the difference between 4k 60Hz 4:2:0 and 4k 30Hz 4:4:4 except for what the sales guy at Curry's tells him or if he thinks that he is a tech-head whatever the interwebs tell him is the best. For 99.999% of the population 4k is 4k is 4k or its whatever your PS4Pro / XBone can allegedly do.
This leaves the door open to Amazon sellers to sell whatever garbage they want making all sorts of wild claims - HDMI Cables being HDMI 2.1 compliant, devices that are HDMI 1.4 but can do 4k 60Hz : HDR10 : 4:4:4 : Dolbyvision : HD Audio.
You really need to look at some of this stuff in detail to actually understand what they are selling. The devil really is in the detail. Or you ask somebody like @Joe Fernand for advice as he sells this stuff daily. He is not going to sell you garbage, but its not going to be pound-shop cheap either.

Main issues are economies of scale - Lots of AVRs out there. Joe public wouldnt know the difference between 4k 60Hz 4:2:0 and 4k 30Hz 4:4:4 except for what the sales guy at Curry's tells him or if he thinks that he is a tech-head whatever the interwebs tell him is the best. For 99.999% of the population 4k is 4k is 4k or its whatever your PS4Pro / XBone can allegedly do.
This leaves the door open to Amazon sellers to sell whatever garbage they want making all sorts of wild claims - HDMI Cables being HDMI 2.1 compliant, devices that are HDMI 1.4 but can do 4k 60Hz : HDR10 : 4:4:4 : Dolbyvision : HD Audio.
You really need to look at some of this stuff in detail to actually understand what they are selling. The devil really is in the detail. Or you ask somebody like @Joe Fernand for advice as he sells this stuff daily. He is not going to sell you garbage, but its not going to be pound-shop cheap either.

absolutely fair comment... i think the reality is im gonna end up investing as much into my simpler setup as i ever did my separates :D

Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

I feel like I am coming across as pretty negative here, but I have spent so much time dealing with disappointed people who have bought, cheap wifi extenders / powerline adapters / streaming boxes / hdmi switches etc and are desperately disappointed when their £2k macbook / £2k OLED TV / £1k smartphone don't work properly on the shonky cr@p that they bought for £20 and then wanting it fixing - cheaply. People are happy to buy expensive designer goods that they can 'show off' to their friends and neighbours but then baulk at paying for half decent infrastructure items (that nobody can see) and will buy cheap 'alternatives' which dont work as described and then spend a ridiculous amount of time and effort trying to make it work / justifying it. You only need to look at the number of threads of people squealing at the price of a 15m Hybrid Fibre cable but will spend £60 - £70 on'alternate' products that generally fail pretty quickly.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom