4K or 8K TV for next gen consoles?

andykara2003

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m about to buy a 55” TV for next gen systems & am trying to decide whether to go 4K or 8K. I’ve always been allergic to upscaling - I hate the look of 1080p games upscaled on 4K TVs. I’m concerned that I might find the same issue with 4K games/content running on an 8K tv, even though the impact will obviously be less than 1080p on a 4K panel. Very few games on next gen consoles will go higher than 4K and at 55” I think that 8K will be a minor improvement at 55”, but I’m worried I’ll be missing out in some way I’ve not yet conceived/understood if I go with 4K. I’ll go with a flagship QLED or OLED - but will probably keep it for 5 years or so, hence the trepidation.

Could anyone chime in? I’d be grateful for any advice..

I would stick with a 4K Tv, albeit a very good one.

Main reason is that there isn’t a huge amount of 8K content around and I think it will take several years to happen. Hell, look at how much non4k content there is still now and the various different HDR options too. So will take time to settle down and I wouldn’t want to be an early adopter myself.

I don’t know about the next gen consoles, but expect they will be the same: take ages before games are built for 8K, never mind any of the likely linked technologies (ie HDR v2). And anyway, will still look stunning on a 4K.

To be honest, I would see if you can fit a 65 inch in ( or 75/77!?!) I think that would have bigger impact than jumping to 8K.

Hope that helps.

I reckon 8k on a 55” tv would be pointless. Probably on 65” as well.
stick to a good quality 4K. LG oled ideally, or q90r lcd....

Thanks guys - a friend helped me out & I’m going for a 55” LG CX. As you say, 8K would be pretty pointless on a TV that size. Now to wait until the price falls a bit!

It seems you answered your own question when you said you are adverse to upscaling. If you bought an 8k TV everything you use would have to be upscaled to even more pixels!

I guess whether its overly noticeable or not will depend on how close you view and the kind of content you watch though. With higher quality 4k video being a lot less prone to upscaling artifacts than poorer quality video.

Remember not to fall for Samsung marketing. A QLED TV is just an LCD TV with a quantum dot filter. Its not a new technology like OLED. Samsung will be using new technology when they stop LCD TV production and move to QD-OLED which they are planning to do at the end of this year.

If you want to go for an OLED, wait for the CX price to come down or buy the 2019 C9 instead. You don't want to pay release pricing for a new model. You pay a premium on the luxury of owning a product when its only just been released when its no better overall than last years model.

Now that we have 4k TVs with 120hz refresh rates and VRR, the next step in the evolution of gaming will be 4k/120hz.

The most powerful consumer grade GPU £1000+ RTX 2080ti cannot do 4k.120hz at the present in AAA games (e.g. RDR2).. Likely this will be attained by the higher end GPUs released by Nvidia this year.

However the games consoles, outside of very easy to run games, will struggle to hit 4k/120fps. They didn't manage to hit 4k/60fps this generation for good looking AAA games.

Now onto 4k vs 8k anyway. I'd take 4k 120fps anyday over 8k. The only benefits to 8k IMO at a suitable viewiing stance probably resides in 77inch + panels and they are VERY expensive.

8k tvs also have the issue of not having native 8k content so yes, upscaling will cause inevitably some artifacts and a less perfect-looking picture to native panels displaying the same content (you are reliant on the AI upscales which TV manufactuers provide).

however moving back to gaming, I just don't see 8k gaming as the future yet. We'll likely see 4k/60hz gaming being the most common wanted feature, and then when more people get VRR and higher refresh rate panels via HDMI 2,1m 120hz (high fps gaming which PC gamers have enjoyed for years) will come to the mainstream cosnole audience and likely become the wanted gold standard for video games.

Chasing 8k at this point in time puts you at a disadvantage re: gaming + watching content which supports it because we don't have content.

I believe the future of 8k TVs and is best use case lies in professional work where having the real estate to manage and playback 4k content in its native resolution would be helpful. for example if i was a video edittor, an 8k panel would be quite helpful if i wanted to pixel peep and see my 4k content whilst editting in its full glory.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom