4K or 1080p.. which discs do you use most on ur PJ?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I use mostly 4K and 3D discs.

What about you guys?

I got Train to Busan, put it in and WOW. 1080p disc looks absolutely beautiful, gorgeous colours, easy, no tone mapping malarky, just put the disc in and bam we are off.
I am now thinking of buying 1080p rather than 4k discs of the 1080p discs have the comparable audio. Well I'll probably just end up buying both if its an old film.

Anyway which guys are u using? Bluray or always 4K if available? The sharpness on some discs is amazing (e.g. The Dark Knight) but on some discs I've found it really underhwleming (e.g. Wonder woman).

mb3195

Distinguished Member

alebonau

4k uhd where available. blu-ray is 2nd fiddle and fall back if no 4k
3D - consider a separate category and will buy if available ... for a separate experience.

there is no such thing as tone mapping malarky with 4k uhd.... just matter of getting it to set and forget baby :D :p

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
4k uhd where available. blu-ray is 2nd fiddle and fall back if no 4k
3D - consider a separate category and will buy if available ... for a separate experience.

there is no such thing as tone mapping malarky with 4k uhd.... just matter of getting it to set and forget baby :D :p
have u compared the 1080p disc to the 4k disc out of interest?

I'm pretty much at the set and forget stage but i absolutely loved the SDR colours from a few discs today which were 1080p so it got me thinking.

maybe i should stop thinking and start enjoying... :D

alebonau

have u compared the 1080p disc to the 4k disc out of interest?
yes in many cases... many of movies i buy are 4k re-releases i have on blu-ray and many are best i have experienced since,

I see this note below,

some discs I've found it really underhwleming (e.g. Wonder woman).
underwhelming ? what ? :D its absolutely stunning on 4k uhd ! i posted some screen shots below,

the punch, dynamic, colours you have with this movie on 4k uhd you cant get on blu-ray. (i have this on blu-ray and 3D blu-ray as well)

I notice mention sharpness on some discs is
The sharpness on some discs is amazing
this is something i think is a red herring. sharpness is actually not to do with 4k. infact the more detail and definition you have the smoother the image. more real life analog ...the less detail the more digital and coarser will look. also sharpness you can play with eg edge enhancing and such with processing but am over that !

I'm pretty much at the set and forget stage but i absolutely loved the SDR colours from a few discs today which were 1080p so it got me thinking.
by all means... one example is "emma" great movie we watched on blu-ray.... when i saw it on iTunes and supposedly 4k i bought it.... was a waste of time... no better than the blu-ray frankly...wasted money. so yes in some cases i do think buying the "4k" can be a waste and blu-ray good enough.

I am being wowed upon wowed I can say on 4k uhd releases i have seen for quite a while though :)

maybe i should stop thinking and start enjoying... :D
have to stop to smell the roses :p

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
yes in many cases... many of movies i buy are 4k re-releases i have on blu-ray and many are best i have experienced since,

I see this note below,

underwhelming ? what ? :D its absolutely stunning on 4k uhd ! i posted some screen shots below,

the punch, dynamic, colours you have with this movie on 4k uhd you cant get on blu-ray. (i have this on blu-ray and 3D blu-ray as well)

I notice mention sharpness on some discs is

this is something i think is a red herring. sharpness is actually not to do with 4k. infact the more detail and definition you have the smoother the image. more real life analog ...the less detail the more digital and coarser will look. also sharpness you can play with eg edge enhancing and such with processing but am over that !

by all means... one example is "emma" great movie we watched on blu-ray.... when i saw it on iTunes and supposedly 4k i bought it.... was a waste of time... no better than the blu-ray frankly...wasted money. so yes in some cases i do think buying the "4k" can be a waste and blu-ray good enough.

I am being wowed upon wowed I can say on 4k uhd releases i have seen for quite a while though :)

have to stop to smell the roses :p

Honestly man.. i think i need to stop thinking and enjoy the films. :D

Wonder Woman 3D maybe in the future I should watch.. ;)

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
My current collection has about 250 discs of which about 11 are 4K. The real reason was the likes of Ebay and CEX are too good a price for pre-owed Blurays that it's hard to turn down when you are buying pre-owed at £1-3 compared to 4K at £10 starting.

The other reason is that IMO the Epson 9400 does as good a job with 1080P discs as the Panasonic does with 4K and the only benefit is the HDR. If I owned a Native 4K machine then I think my mindset would be different because why have the projector and not feed it with 4K.

As me thought turn to possibly upgrading the projector in the future I have started to look at getting 4K more often.

alebonau

The other reason is that IMO the Epson 9400 does as good a job with 1080P discs as the Panasonic does with 4K and the only benefit is the HDR. If I owned a Native 4K machine then I think my mindset would be different because why have the projector and not feed it with 4K.
hi luminated, its not just the 4k and the HDR, its also the WCG and the step up in colour depth from 8bit of blu-ray to 10bit of 4k uhds HDR10 :) your epson 9400 sports the p3 colour filter for WCG so no reason not to take advantage of it :)

RobTi

Hi I have around a couple of hundred 4K discs and more than double that as Apple movies. Wouldn’t it depend on which machine and screen you have and how well it outputs the relevant material

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
hi luminated, its not just the 4k and the HDR, its also the WCG and the step up in colour depth from 8bit of blu-ray to 10bit of 4k uhds HDR10 :) your epson 9400 sports the p3 colour filter for WCG so no reason not to take advantage of it :)
I do get that and see the difference but I’m one of those that are happy either way.

ask4me2

Have
95 HD-DVD
69 3D Blu-Ray
1720 2D Blu-Ray
226 4K UltraHD

In the last couple of years, I guess I view 60% blu-ray and 40% 4K UltraHD. and buy approx. 90% 4K UltraHD and 10% Blu-Ray since 2017

It is the WCG and often better audio tracks that are the reason I mainly buy and enjoy the 4K versions of the new movies.

3rdignis

I have no complaints with bluray on 9300, its my goto for movies.
4k looks good on the 65c9 but I prefer the projector for a treat.
I went as far as I could justify with 4k on the Epson. Light control, professional calibration, ub9000. But it's still not right (as can be seen by the graphs for the colour gamut)
I gave 3d a go on the Epson, but it's not for me (accurate but disconcerting)
Passive 3d was good on LG ef9500.

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
I use a mixture of 4K UHD, 4k streaming (Prime, Disney+), Blurays, 1080p streaming (Prime, Netflix) and HD-DVD on my projector (Epson 9400). I rent many discs through Cinema Paradiso and always put 4K as my preference..... but am regularly pleased with Bluray which is .even better if they have Atmos/DTS:X audio as well.

The new LOTR 4K discs look great (in comparison to the blurays) similar to the Star Wars boxset. Some blurays look fantastic as well. i also view a lot of 3D blurays which is very enjoyable on the projector.

Apone

I only go for 4K discs for the immersive audio tracks to be frank. 1080p SDR is still fantastic on a well set up and calibrated TV/PJ imo. I'm still happy with SDR 1080p!

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
4k for me; the HDR on the JVC N7 is sublime and offers a big step up from the Blu-Rays.
My point, why have a 4K native machine and not feed it 4K material.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
I use a mixture of 4K UHD, 4k streaming (Prime, Disney+), Blurays, 1080p streaming (Prime, Netflix) and HD-DVD on my projector (Epson 9400). I rent many discs through Cinema Paradiso and always put 4K as my preference..... but am regularly pleased with Bluray which is .even better if they have Atmos/DTS:X audio as well.
Very similar for me (minus HD-DVD and JVC X7500 in place of Epson).

However, I'd add that for me it's content first, then media choice second: I still watch older DVDs and enjoy them as for me it's more about the story than absolute PQ. Some of my concert discs aren't available on BluRay/4K and the sound is still good enough to enjoy (or some cases play along with). :)

I watched a 'demo-quality' 4K disc over Christmas and couldn't wait for it to finish. It was my son's choice and it's not often he sits and watches a film with us these days, so at least he enjoyed it . Looked and sounded superb with the DTM and calibrated through my Lumagen, which is a 'set and forget' for 4K now. Of course with Atmos sound, but such a predictable story and wooden acting. (Don't ask, as I don't want to offend fans). Much preferred the BluRay we watched the next night, which wasn't a demo disc, but had a good story and a bit of a twist to it.

My wife speaks Spanish, so sometimes we have no choice but to watch a film on DVD due to availability. I'll confess that they aren't all my cup of tea either, but if that's the only option, then I would prefer to watch than not. She's partial to watching old B&W films too, but just on the TV. :D

bandyka

99% UHD these days.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
My wife speaks Spanish, so sometimes we have no choice but to watch a film on DVD due to availability. I'll confess that they aren't all my cup of tea either, but if that's the only option, then I would prefer to watch than not. She's partial to watching old B&W films too, but just on the TV. :D
sh*t mine can barely speak English. :laugh:

bandyka

We've had this issue in the past. We've had to come to a compromise on subtitles as I was not willing to listen to crappy audio in the cinema room. A little bit of moodiness in the beginning but eventually she got used to it, maybe that's why we are no longer together :)

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
It's her second language, so it's helpful to watch/listen to Spanish programs so she can keep in practice. After a few drinks I think I'm able to understand it too, but reading English subtitles is fooling me. :D I thought the same when we watched 'The Bridge' but soon realised the only word I had picked up was 'Tak' (however it's spelt) for 'thanks'. That and the various universal words like 'Samsung' that pop up in the middle of a Danish/Swedish conversation, which always makes me smile. :)

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
90% BR 10% 4K a number of films I watch are not on 4K and I tend to buy films I’m expecting good things from and expect to watch more than once on 4K

2K looks stunning if the transfer is good enough and £6-7 vs £15-20 makes the choice easier

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
The wife is from Newcastle direction,
90% BR 10% 4K a number of films I watch are not on 4K and I tend to buy films I’m expecting good things from and expect to watch more than once on 4K

2K looks stunning if the transfer is good enough and £6-7 vs £15-20 makes the choice easier
TOTALLY AGREE, in fact I just last night watched Valerian TCOTP on 4K HDR and I compared the images I took from the previous time which was 1080P to this and whilst the colour range is way more vibrant and varied the actual sharpness of the image was slightly better on 1080P. This might be the fact that the 1080P was played from the Sony X700 player and the 4K through the Panasonic UB420 but to my eye I noticed it but this isn't to say the 4K was bad because it wasn't, the difference is subtle as best though it's still interesting.

674E447C-08CA-4111-9373-EB85F8316549.jpeg

4K top and 1080p below
552F75B1-B99C-411D-AD67-532702BA80FB.jpeg

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett