4K on xbox one?

cinemapoint

Ex Member
Reaction score
I have xbox one and thinking of buying a 4K tv soon, just wanted to know if we could play 4K blu rays on it? or at least 3d?

If not does PS4 play those?

I have xbox one and thinking of buying a 4K tv soon, just wanted to know if we could play 4K blu rays on it? or at least 3d?

If not does PS4 play those?
It can 4K but no content yet. It cannot play 3D Blu Ray as of yet. That feature will arrive soon.

All the above goes for the PS4 as well

What about those mastered in 4k blu rays?

Those Mastered in 4k discs are normal 1080p Blu-rays so will work on all BD players including the XB1 and PS4.

If you have Netflix, the show house of cards is in 4k, now I'm not sure if the xb1 app supports 4k. You could hook a PC up though.

What does normal Xbox One usage look like on a 4k TV? Is the picture upscaled, and is there any loss in picture quality as a result? I'm assuming not but my next TV will probably be a 4k one and wondered what the deal was.

What does normal Xbox One usage look like on a 4k TV? Is the picture upscaled, and is there any loss in picture quality as a result? I'm assuming not but my next TV will probably be a 4k one and wondered what the deal was.
It'll be upscaled by the TV or possibly the av amp, so it's dependent on the ability of those.

Any 4k TV will automatically upscale anything connected to it otherwise you would have a letter boxed image in the center.

Xbox one Dash Supports 1080/60P Max resolution, so will be upscaled by the display device if it has a higher resolution, from my experience upscaling for video games looks terrible, for video its not so bad if you have a decent bitrate. If you have a 60" 4K TV and a 1080P TV then the 1080P XBOX One image would look better on the 1080P Display, especially gaming wise since a lot of them games are at 720P they would look terrible at 4K upscaled, just take a look at BBC HD's low bit rate feed on sat or terrestrial on sport content it looks terrible on a 1080P display now feed that to a 4K display and your asking for trouble. Now you feed a 4K native image to a 4K or 1080P image and you will see the difference.

If they enable 4K Video Playback the 4K video will output at 4K/24HZ, and there will be no dashboard overlay unless they would render it at 4K 24 or 30HZ which I think would be doubtful.

Last edited:
Netflix has 4K content as far as I am aware, so that is a good start if you are investing in the technology.

Games will be a long long long way off that resolution, and probably won't come until the day all games are streamed rather than played on a localised system.

As for the movies, I would imagine the drive is not capable of 4K although there may be an option to download 4k movies in the future.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom