4K OLED TV - Philips or LG?

rokidoki

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all :)

I've been looking to buy my first ever TV for a while now, and needless to say I am left very confused by the sheer amount of different models and options that are out there. I've done a bit of research and decided to go for an OLED TV but other than that I am a bit lost, I don't really know what to look for when it comes to processors, picture quality, audio etc.

What are your thoughts on the following models?
  • Philips 55OLED805
  • Philips 55OLED705
  • LG OLED55A16LA

Are there any significant differences between Philips 55OLED805 and LG OLED55A16LA? Or any reasons I should avoid any (or all!) of the models that I listed? I understand these are entry level OLED models but this is what I can afford with my budget.

Thanks!

The C1 really is the model to compare to the OLED805 and the B1 to the 705.

C1 has similar brightness of the OLED805 at around 750-800 nits 120hz panel.
B1 has lower brightness, similar to OLED705 at around 600nits 120hz panel.
A1 has lower brightness at around 500 nits 60hz panel.

The two Philips you have are 2020 models, which is why you may find those higher spec TVs for the same price as the LG. The 2021 models of these TVs are OLED706 and OLED806 but the OLED706 now has Android and the OLED806 has Google TV. The OLED705 runs a basic OS, and the OLED805 Android.

Other differences are quite small, the new 2021 models have HDMI 2.1 and the 8 series has a better image processor and more RAM than the 7 series but its not a huge deal compared to other things.

Last edited:
A1 is close to 500 nits, not 300. But anyway, B1/C1 or Philips OLED is better buy.

Thank you both for your replies!

The details you provided @Dodgexander clear up a lot of things for me, thank you for being so thorough.

From what I've seen, HDMI 2.1 is becoming the new standard for TVs, which makes me think going for a model that does not have it wouldn't be very wise at this point in time?

Both C1 and OLED806 are a little bit over my budget at the moment (unless I go for the 48" instead of the 55" model), so it seems to me that in this case the OLED706 55" is the better option. Would you say it's worth waiting until the 2022 models hit the market (don't know when that would be) so that I can get one of the other two 2021 models for less? But then again, if HDMI 2.1 won't be a must in the near future I could definitely go for the higher-spec 805.

HDMI2.1 is only really that useful for gaming (things like VRR) and even then i would say it is high end: I.e my TV doesn’t have HDMI2.1, but I game on it and it looks fab to me.

It’s more important to get a good tv that is great with HDR: for watching movies, etc.

So I would either pick up a great value 2020 very soon, or wait till the current 2021 TVs are much better value (I.e after Black Friday, towards Xmas/in to the new year).

Thanks! I have not made my decision yet but I am very close now :)

As far as I understand, there are no significant differences between the 805 and 806 (other than HDMI 2.1) which makes me lean more towards the 805 rather than the 706.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom