4k Oled Purchasing Advice

4kNewbie101

Novice Member
Reaction score
First post! :)

I'm new to 4k TV's, however I have done extensive research on most 4k televisions.

I reside in Canada.

From my research, OLED 4k tv's are the best option. My main usage is to watch movies on it using a portable hard drive (Mp4) and eventually 4k Uhd Blu-ray player.

I have zero desire to watch streamed content or cable TV.

I care about trying to get true blacks even though I've heard it may result in a less than brighter image.

I looking to get a 55 inch television. I prefer a headphone jack (Sony TV) although what maters to me A LOT is having at least x2 HDMI 2.1 ports with VRR 120hz in case in the future I wish to use PS5 or similar.

Here are my questions.

For watching 4k UHD discs on a 4k player, does it matter if it's HDMI 2.1 or 2.0? I know ARC or eARC affects sound, right?

Or does ARC also affect audio AND image quality?

What's really driving me nuts is choosing what OLED 55 inch TV to buy. Budget is no more than $2000.00 not including tax.

I'm deciding between a LG or Sony but the main problem I've noticed is many LG and Sony 4k OLED tvs appearently crash and or the picture eventually goes screwy.

Should I wait a year or two and wait until more OLED tvs are more stable and offer more HDMI 2.1 ports on the back of most 4k tv's?

Some say HDMI 2.1 ports are still too new and won't be for a long while until HDMI 2.1 is the norm.

Any advice on this subject would be appreciated.

Last thing that is why I joined this site is what the problem I have with the possibility of buying a 4k Oled tv is places like Amazon ca the seller is not Amazon but third party sellers and for all I know I could be getting a refurbished or open box tv.

Most 4k Oled from Best Buy are Refurbished or Open Box.

I do have a Costco membership.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide :)

Hdmi 2.1 is for gaming

Deep blacks are black level (brightness) nothing to do with the other end which is light output which is combination of oled light and contrast (white level)

I have a LG c9 it's good but I think it has some black crush.

I believe the Panasonics don't have this issue so if it was buying again it would be Panasonic, they also have better scaling and motion.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes ideally I'd love a Panasonic 4k tv but unfortunately they don't make them anymore.

Panasonic is what brand I'm getting for 4k UHD player.

Yes they do, maybe not available in your country m

Sorry for the late reply and thank you for your replies.

I decided to get a LG C1 OLED 55 inch tv. Only had it about a week but so far I love it!!

The only issue with LG C1 so far is the remote is pretty garbage, but I suppose that's what universal remotes are for :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom