4K Netflix vs Blu-ray: Round Two - article discussion

My view on media is (and always has been) that you never 'own' it, you just own a license to play the media.
My view is can I sell these disks?

Yes.

You are missing something.

When I sell them, the person I sell them to then also has the license. They can then keep the disks or they can sell them again. The license limits you in that you can't open your own cinema and charge people to watch your blurays. It's not stopping you watching them or whoever you sell them on to.

See Sony v Microsoft before the consoles came out. Sony made a big thing as to how their games could be swapped, sold second hand etc.
I've got countless boxes full of media
You are bad at storage. Your problem and your character. You could just as easily get some shelving. Or cupboards or whatever. You are making it a problem by just throwing them in a box. It's not a fault of the medium. I have lots of important paperwork. If I don't file it in some kind of order that's my fault. If it comes to it write on the box what's in it or write A-H on the side of the first box and then throw the appropriate films in. If you are choosing to make things hard for yourself that's your problem.
and I even skipped a load of DVDs a year or so ago (just keeping a couple hundred select titles) as I would never watch them.
Again your choice. You could have sold them, gave them to charity, gave them to friends. You chose to bin them. They had value. May be just a quid a DVD or something but still value.

Also it's no different if you had purchased them on Amazon. You said some you would never watch. Similar situation if you had purchased them via Amazon, or whatever. If you aren't watching them you aren't watching them. Would be even more bizarre if you had them on disk and repurchased them but didn't want to watch them again.
When I can stream them, at better quality from the comfort of my sofa, why would I go scrabbling about through boxes of discs to find a low res version of the film?
Again this suits YOU. It's like being told by someone living in London how wonderful the London Underground is and how cars are now a thing of the past.

How does this suit ME?
I fancied watching Transporting the other night so did I go and get my DVD out of a box somewhere? No I just paid £4 to download it in 1080p. If it had been on a streaming service, then i'd have just watched it on there.
You paid money to rewatch a film you already own and couldn't be bothered looking for as you throw all your films into a box. So you have poor organisation, were lazy and flush with money?
As I have also stated a few times however, I will get a 4K BR player and will certainly get some movies on UHD disc, to experience them in the very best way in my home.
Top tip. Don't just put them all in a box... You advocate streaming and buying films on disk? Well you are in a position to choose.
What this article demonstrates however, is that streaming technology is coming on really well, which means that those of us who like the convenience of streaming media, are getting that media at ever increasing quality levels. That can only be a good thing IMO.
And as above good for you, go you etc. And those without a fast connection?

Yes.

When I sell them, the person I sell them to then also has the license. They can then keep the disks or they can sell them again. The license limits you in that you can't open your own cinema and charge people to watch your blurays. It's not stopping you watching them or whoever you sell them on to.

See Sony v Microsoft before the consoles came out. Sony made a big thing as to how their games could be swapped, sold second hand etc.

You are bad at storage. Your problem and your character. You could just as easily get some shelving. Or cupboards or whatever. You are making it a problem by just throwing them in a box. It's not a fault of the medium. I have lots of important paperwork. If I don't file it in some kind of order that's my fault. If it comes to it write on the box what's in it or write A-H on the side of the first box and then throw the appropriate films in. If you are choosing to make things hard for yourself that's your problem.
Again your choice. You could have sold them, gave them to charity, gave them to friends. You chose to bin them. They had value. May be just a quid a DVD or something but still value.

Also it's no different if you had purchased them on Amazon. You said some you would never watch. Similar situation if you had purchased them via Amazon, or whatever. If you aren't watching them you aren't watching them. Would be even more bizarre if you had them on disk and repurchased them but didn't want to watch them again.

Again this suits YOU. It's like being told by someone living in London how wonderful the London Underground is and how cars are now a thing of the past.

How does this suit ME?
You paid money to rewatch a film you already own and couldn't be bothered looking for as you throw all your films into a box. So you have poor organisation, were lazy and flush with money?
Top tip. Don't just put them all in a box... You advocate streaming and buying films on disk? Well you are in a position to choose.

My storage is pretty good thanks. I just done want to fill my room with shelves and cupboards to store thousands of discs. I have a few hundred in drawers as it is and that's enough for me.

The point about the DVDs is that I will never rewatch them as to me the quality is far worse than I can get through streaming, Blu Ray or download. Hence why I have re bought films I own on DVD, on Blu Ray, HDDVD, iTunes etc.

My storage is pretty good thanks. I just done want to fill my room with shelves and cupboards to store thousands of discs. I have a few hundred in drawers as it is and that's enough for me.
Which is your choice. I am happy filling my house with disks. What else is going to fill that space? Pot plants? Scatter cushions? No idea. My house, my space etc.
The point about the DVDs is that I will never rewatch them as to me the quality is far worse than I can get through streaming, Blu Ray or download. Hence why I have re bought films I own on DVD, on Blu Ray, HDDVD, iTunes etc.
Depends on the film. I recently watched True Romance on DVD on a projector. It looked softer than if I had bought the bluray. On the other hand I hadn't watched the film for about five years so possibly might not be five years or more till I watch it again. Maybe not worth replacing something watched once every five years.

If I see it for a couple of quid on bluray I might rebuy it but otherwise I don't see the point.

I will say though, my old DVDs that have been replaced by blurays, then go to my mate.

I get new films as and when, and if they are films I care about I upgrade them.

The old films on old formats go to my mate and he enjoys them and in return he sometimes cooks food for me and I get a few drinks.

The DVD has value and can be passed onto others. You might choose to throw them but that sounds like your own laziness. You could have at least given them away to a good home or charity even if you couldn't be bothered selling them via eBay, a car boot, on here, or whatever else.

I can use my money in the form of CASH pretty much anywhere in the world. But you try the same with your Visa card and you will only be successful 60% of the time
A shame then that you have all this cash that is accepted pretty much anywhere in the world...but your wife only permits you to spend it on 5% of the movie discs that you want, that don't contain violence, profanity or sexual scenes...

The DVD has value and can be passed onto others. You might choose to throw them but that sounds like your own laziness. You could have at least given them away to a good home or charity even if you couldn't be bothered selling them via eBay, a car boot, on here, or whatever else.
Yeah I think they ended up going to a friend's charity day that she holds every year. We send loads of stuff each year, kids toys, books, DVDs etc.

Yes.

How does this suit ME?

Post of the week. I dont think that when I own a disk I own that specific title no matter what happens to the studios who own the film or the distributor who put disc out on the market. I dont have to rely 100% on fast internet connection or wifi. And I dont have to deal with multiple passwords either

A shame then that you have all this cash that is accepted pretty much anywhere in the world...but your wife only permits you to spend it on 5% of the movie discs that you want, that don't contain violence, profanity or sexual scenes...
That is why I am stuck with Amazon Prime. All my violent, profane, and sexual explicit titles are in streaming format only at my house:)

Yeah I think they ended up going to a friend's charity day that she holds every year. We send loads of stuff each year, kids toys, books, DVDs etc.
Bless your heart

That is why I am stuck with Amazon Prime. All my violent, profane, and sexual explicit titles are in streaming format only at my house:)
So rather a moot point then for you re: physical vs digital.
Your faux outrage is irrelevant, as you're not allowed to own the physical discs anyway...

So rather a moot point then for you re: physical vs digital.
Your faux outrage is irrelevant, as you're not allowed to own the physical discs anyway...
Yes and no, as I am allowed to own physical discs for family-oriented content that does not have profanity, violence, and sexual tension. Most blurays I own are either Christmas type of movies, Disney classics, etc,. which I also enjoy.
I wanted to get season 1 through 5 of GOT on bluray but my wife really despises the dwarf so I bought it on Amazon video.

Yes and no, as I am allowed to own physical discs for family-oriented content that does not have profanity, violence, and sexual tension. Most blurays I own are either Christmas type of movies, Disney classics, etc,. which I also enjoy.
I wanted to get season 1 through 5 of GOT on bluray but my wife really despises the dwarf so I bought it on Amazon video.
Considering that 95% of everything you personally own/watch is digital, & you are almost completely reliant on digital (not physical discs) your faux outrage seems more like click bait more than a genuine grievance.

It'd be like someone complaining the supermarket has stopped selling their favourite brand of cheese...
Me: do you like/eat a lot of this cheese then?
You: no, I barely touch the stuff as me & the wife are lactose intolerant.
:facepalm:

Whichever format we prefer, I guess that market forces will dictate which ones prevail. Competition and choice are a good thing and will only help keep prices down, whether that's physical or streamed content. We can argue whether we prefer one or the other, but to be fair that's a pretty pointless argument as it only really applies to our own preferences.

From my perspective I was all disc a few years back as streaming just couldn't compete. Whilst this article has a few issues, it does illustrate that streaming quality has improved and will most likely continue to do so. That can only be a good thing when it comes to consumer choice IMO.

For the record, I prefer physical.
I see no reason why the future market has to be 'one or the other'. I see both markets coexisting as the market is appealing to two different customers.

Considering that 95% of everything you personally own/watch is digital, & you are almost completely reliant on digital (not physical discs) your faux outrage seems more like click bait more than a genuine grievance.

It'd be like someone complaining the supermarket has stopped selling their favourite brand of cheese...
Me: do you like/eat a lot of this cheese then?
You: no, I barely touch the stuff as me & the wife are lactose intolerant.
:facepalm:
I dont do that by choice. If it was up to me all my digital material would be on bluray by now.
Season 1 of GOT is in Dolby Atmos, do you think that I really prefer to watch it on Amazon Prime video through my laptop and with headphones in my ears?

For the record, I prefer physical.
I see no reason why the future market has to be 'one or the other'. I see both markets coexisting as the market is appealing to two different customers.
Not if they will stop bluray production because it is no longer "cost effective"

I dont do that by choice. If it was up to me all my digital material would be on bluray by now.
Season 1 of GOT is in Dolby Atmos, do you think that I really prefer to watch it on Amazon Prime video through my laptop and with headphones in my ears?
Doesn't matter whether it's by choice or not. The fact remains you are 95% reliant on digital for all your viewing. Whether it is by choice or not is irrelevant.

Heard of the phrase 'don't bite the hand that feeds you'?

Doesn't matter whether it's by choice or not. The fact remains you are 95% reliant on digital for all your viewing. Whether it is by choice or not is irrelevant.

Heard of the phrase 'don't bite the hand that feeds you'?
Being forced to order digital does not mean that I support or prefer digital.

Not if they will stop bluray production because it is no longer "cost effective"
Yawn- as has been discussed on many previous threads, if there are a customers who refuse to buy into digital (this includes me) there is always money for them to chase- there is no 'not cost effective' to sell this.

And if they stop, what affect does that have on your extensive Amazon video library?

Being forced to order digital does not mean that I support or prefer digital.
Didn't say it did. It's just a rant to a 'problem' you're contributing to, & actually has no effect on your buying habits now or in the future.

I'm out, as this is clearly another one of your click bait windup threads (again).

Yawn- as has been discussed on many previous threads, if there are a customers who refuse to buy into digital (this includes me) there is always money for them to chase- there is no 'not cost effective' to sell this.

And if they stop, what affect does that have on your extensive Amazon video library?
My Amazon video library will thrive, but my family-movie bluray collection will be negatively affected though, as children movies and christmas movies will no longer be available on bluray.

My Amazon video library will thrive, but my family-movie bluray collection will be negatively affected though, as children movies and christmas movies will no longer be available on bluray.

See that button labelled multi quote, it's very useful you know.

It seems there is scope for a downscaler.

Netflix 1080p doesn't hold up well against BD (i haven't directly compared the 2 with the same material but it doesn't appear to), but i wonder if you would get a better picture if you got the 4k stream and downscaled it to 1080p at home, for the people that don't want to currently invest in a full 4k setup but have the internet bandwidth for the full 4k stream.

It seems there is scope for a downscaler.

Netflix 1080p doesn't hold up well against BD (i haven't directly compared the 2 with the same material but it doesn't appear to), but i wonder if you would get a better picture if you got the 4k stream and downscaled it to 1080p at home, for the people that don't want to currently invest in a full 4k setup but have the internet bandwidth for the full 4k stream.
i doubt it. It all comes down to your tv or projector resolution capabilities

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom