4K Netflix on HTPC?

AidenL

I have a HTPC with a GTX 960 video card in, it's HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 compliant - anyone know if I can lash 4K Netflix or YouTube through it , save me buying an Nvidea?

richardb70

Distinguished Member
Have you tried it? Curious myself, looks like your 960 should be fine though.

shodan

Distinguished Member
You wouldn't know unless you had a 4k tv to try it out on. Otherwise your tv will downscale it to its native resolution.

dhts

Unless things have changed recently I believe you won't be able to run Netflix at 4k for security reasons, ie the content owners don't trust those platforms.

IrritatedBadger

Distinguished Member
I have a HTPC with a GTX 960 video card in, it's HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 compliant - anyone know if I can lash 4K Netflix or YouTube through it , save me buying an Nvidea?

YouTube won't be a problem. I can play YouTube through Chrome on a 680 downscaled to 1080p (for the higher bitrate video) with no problem. Don't know about Netflix.

plum23

Unless things have changed in the last month or so, 4k Netflix on a pc isn't possible - it's limited to 1080p.

fxv300

yes tried NETFLIX on my PC , 4K not allowed at present so it lets me watch at 1080p. My GPU can do 2160 resolution at 60fps using DisplayPort so is more than capable. NETFLIX 4K is 2160 @30fps so my PC is more than capable. YouTube 4K videos work fine on my PC. Same with AmazonPrime, tried that for a month to see if I could watch 4K but again was told "not supported" when I rang Amazon to ask about 4K.

Netflix as well as Prime do not support 4K on PC, not sure if they ever will, too much different hardware to support, and only 1 single card supports HEVC decoding so not a big enough market for them to implement 4K.

fxv300

Would be nice to get 4K and HDMI 2.0 working fully at 60fps.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom