4k movies revert from 60p to 24p on Samsung QLED. Does anyone know why?

Art2020

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a Sony UPB-X700 4k blue ray player connected to Samsung Q70 65" QLED TV with a 18Gbs HDMI cable. Purchased TV last month & Sony player over the weekend.
I played a 4k movie the other day & noticed, just prior to movie loading up, the player displayed 4k/60p/SDR & screen blacked out for a second and the display reverted to 4k/24p/HDR. Would anyone be able to help with this issue? Why doesnt it stay at 60p?

Because the movie is only 24p?

Most films are shot at 23.976 fps, this is what we're used to and gives what our brain is wired to be a cinematic feel. Few movies are filmed at 60fps and when they do they look hyper-real and have what is known as the soap opera effect. A recent movie that was shot at a higher frame rate was Gemini Man with Will Smith and it looked odd, to me at least, some are fans of the process.

Because the movie is only 24p?

Most films are shot at 23.976 fps, this is what we're used to and gives what our brain is wired to be a cinematic feel. Few movies are filmed at 60fps and when they do they look hyper-real and have what is known as the soap opera effect. A recent movie that was shot at a higher frame rate was Gemini Man with Will Smith and it looked odd, to me at least, some are fans of the process.
So, what's the benefit of 4k? Most 4k films are 24p?
I contacted Samsung & when they remoted in on my TV, the tech said TV was supposed to be showing at 60p but didnt understand why it wasn't since all settings were correct. They said it may be a bad player I got so I exchanged the player and have same issue.
I played Pacific Rim in 4k AND Blue Ray and noticed no difference in quality. It seems like the hype is a bit overrated.

So, what's the benefit of 4k? Most 4k films are 24p?

The blurryvision favoured by film directors does make 4K rather pointless on moving objects and scenes with a moving camera, but you do see the increased in very small detail for static and slow moving stuff.

Or at least you do if you're close enough to see. If you're three or four meters away from a 65" it's not going to be a technology of much interest to you.

So, what's the benefit of 4k?

The main benefits are.

The 4K resolution - But your TV needs to be large enough and you need to sit close enough to see it.

HDR and WGC (High Dynamic Range and Wide Colour Gamut) - But your TV needs to be good enough to actually benefit from these. Only upper mid-range models have the brightness a local dimming required to show off HDR. All new TV's have HDR as if they didn't the colours on your TV would look all washed out and green/grey like they did on early 4K TV's that didn't have HDR.

So if your Samsung is lower down the range, 49" and you're sitting 3M away you're not benefitting in the slightest really.

Most 4k films are 24p?

Films are usually 24fps.
TV drama and News shows normally 30fps
Soap Operas and Sports are quite often filmed at 60fps.

Last edited:
The blurryvision favoured by film directors does make 4K rather pointless on moving objects and scenes with a moving camera, but you do see the increased in very small detail for static and slow moving stuff.

Or at least you do if you're close enough to see. If you're three or four meters away from a 65" it's not going to be a technology of much interest to you.
I'm about 3 meters away (Cant imagine anyone sitting closer)with Q70 qled 65" model so it's in the middle of the other classes. I couldn't phathom getting a larger set.

The main benefits are.

The 4K resolution - But your TV needs to be large enough and you need to sit close enough to see it.

HDR and WGC (High Dynamic Range and Wide Colour Gamut) - But your TV needs to be good enough to actually benefit from these. Only upper mid-range models have the brightness a local dimming required to show off HDR. All new TV's have HDR as if they didn't the colours on your TV would look all washed out and green/grey like they did on early 4K TV's that didn't have HDR.

So if your Samsung is lower down the range, 49" and you're sitting 3M away you're not benefitting in the slightest really.

Films are usually 24fps.
TV drama and News shows normally 30fps
Soap Operas and Sports are quite often filmed at 60fps.
My Samsung's a Q70 65" & sitting about 3M away. Maybe I should Google the higher end movies. I didnt see any specs on the movies I got regarding fps. They dont mention this at all.
I think this clears it up. I did test 4k resolution by watching 4k clips on Google. Still can see much difference. I wasnt aware the differences would be so subtle. I read how the detail & color would just hit you in the face giving you a WOW factor. Haven't seen WOW, yet.
Do you know of any good 4k movies that I'll benefit from? Like I mentioned Pacific Rim was same with 4k & BR.

There are very, very few movies shot in anything other than 24fps. It's the Hollywood Gold Standard and has been for decades.

The only 2 that spring to mind are the aforementioned Gemini Man (awful movie IMO, nit just due to the frame rate) and The Hobbit which has never had a release in anything other than 24fps but showed a higher framerate at the cinema. I'm sure there's others, but they're the exception.
Higher frame rates are really for sports.

As far as HDR is concerned, Pacific Rim was a very good release. Perhaps you need to spend a bit of time researching and sorting out the settings on your TV to make sure you're getting the benefit of HDR.
TV's out of the shop are usually set up badly and need a fair bit of tweaking.

As I mentioned earlier, I had Samsung remote in on my tv. The said everything was set properly.
They were going to have a tech do an inhome setup for me but there are none in the area.
Are you aware of any Samsung tweaks on youtube for 2020 QLED Tvs? apparently, everything is for pre2020 & settings are different for new models. User manuals are crap & the Samsung tech only had information for 2019 & earlier models.

I had Samsung remote in on my tv. The said everything was set properly.

I very much doubt they'd do anything to do with calibrating your TV remotely, they'd be more likely to stick it into a Vivid/Shop mode. They have no idea what the light levels in your home are and no idea how you like your TV. Some people like it looking like it does in the shop (like crap)
The fact they didn't know why your TV was switching to 24p tells you everything you need to know about their "expertise"

Is your TV a Q70R or Q70T.

If it's a Q70T then, unfortunately, they've downgraded it over the 2019 Q70R.
The Q70R had full-array local dimming the Q70T is edge-lit and cannot display HDR well, it's actually closer in performance to the Q60R.

I haven't seen any settings yet for 2020 models although, to be honest I've not really looked. I'd keep looking on here in the Samsung TV area of the forum and once the TV is more widespread there will be an owners thread.

Last edited:
I'm about 3 meters away (Cant imagine anyone sitting closer)with Q70 qled 65" model so it's in the middle of the other classes. I couldn't phathom getting a larger set.
I am 1.8m from 65" and soon to be 2.5m from 133" :D.

I very much doubt they'd do anything to do with calibrating your TV remotely, they'd be more likely to stick it into a Vivid/Shop mode. They have no idea what the light levels in your home are and no idea how you like your TV. Some people like it looking like it does in the shop (like crap)
The fact they didn't know why your TV was switching to 24p tells you everything you need to know about their "expertise"

Is your TV a Q70R or Q70T.

If it's a Q70T then, unfortunately, they've downgraded it over the 2019 Q70R.
The Q70R had full-array local dimming the Q70T is edge-lit and cannot display HDR well, it's actually closer in performance to the Q60R.

I haven't seen any settings yet for 2020 models although, to be honest I've not really looked. I'd keep looking on here in the Samsung TV area of the forum and once the TV is more widespread there will be an owners thread.
The 2020 models are Q70T, this is what I have. Samsung indicated this is an upgrade from older models. Who knows - the expert settings are different (no HDR Color option).

Dont worry about it,if your not seeing any different,just stick to blu rays,as they are usually cheaper,you be saving some money.

:)
My old smart tv went on the blitz, which is the reason why I went to 4k & QLED was supposed to be much better. The 4k movies I got were only $15 & blue rays are more.
The 2020 models are Q70T, this is what I have. Samsung indicated this is an upgrade from older models. Who knows - the expert settings are different (no HDR Color option).
I forgot to finish, yeah on the "expertise" level you're right. All they said as they were reviewing my settings is that they only had a list from 2019 models & not the new models. Going down a list tells me they are noobs.

Unfortunately, your 2020 Q70T is a downgrade from the Q70R.

You'd need to go up to the Q80/85T to get the kind of HDR quality the Q70R was capable of.

Of course, this wasn't a deliberate attempt to fool consumers....... (cough)

Unfortunately, your 2020 Q70T is a downgrade from the Q70R.

You'd need to go up to the Q80/85T to get the kind of HDR quality the Q70R was capable of.

Of course, this wasn't a deliberate attempt to fool consumers....... (cough)
I played 4k movies yesterday & both, at some point in the movie, froze & I had to hot stop & play to get movie going again. Is this typical? Bought these new.
My smart TV played fine until it stopped working & thought I'd upgrade. So far, I've had my 4k TV 1 month & just bought the player with a cple movies & havent been too impressed. I'm starting to think 4k isnt worth all the hype.

It would be more "worth the hype" if you were seeing the benefits of UHD, all you're getting is the extra resolution, and that's not the biggest benefit.

As to your player freezing, I've never had that issue but I don't own a player anymore and rip all my discs to stream digitally.

It's like thinking your new Ferrari doesn't have the performance you expected, but the dealer switched the engine for a diesel Ford.
If you really want to see UHD, unfortunately, you need a better TV.

It would be more "worth the hype" if you were seeing the benefits of UHD, all you're getting is the extra resolution, and that's not the biggest benefit.

As to your player freezing, I've never had that issue but I don't own a player anymore and rip all my discs to stream digitally.

It's like thinking your new Ferrari doesn't have the performance you expected, but the dealer switched the engine for a diesel Ford.
Yeah, read reviews & none were bad except for the fact that I read that 70R was a better set than 70T. It's ok, I had a $600 credit earned on my Sam's card. Didnt see the value upgrading to the 80 or 90 series, its over a $500 difference on the 80 series. Samsung gave me option to exchange or refund if I like, I'll just think about it for a bit.

Is there somewhere I can get a list of 4k movies higher than 24fps? I've searched & really cant find anything, except for Gemini Man and I read somewhere The Hobbit was played in 120 fps(??).

The Hobbit was filmed at 48 frames per second and was shown that way in some cinemas that had equipment capable of displaying it. I don't know what effect this had on subsequent Blu Ray issues. Interestingly this technical innovation was not universally well received by cinemagoers. The higher frame rate tended to reveal that some of the scenes looked artificial because the format was too revealing and more money should have been spent on the sets. I'm not a fan, so I can't give a personal opinion. It did make producers wary of adopting 48fps in the future. Incidentally the historic usage of 24fps is believed to have its origin with the introduction of sound pictures. Below this rate the early sound track did not perform well so a minimum of 24fps was adopted and has seemingly stuck to today.

Last edited:
Is there somewhere I can get a list of 4k movies higher than 24fps? I've searched & really cant find anything, except for Gemini Man and I read somewhere The Hobbit was played in 120 fps(??).

There are very, very few movies shot in anything other than 24fps. It's the Hollywood Gold Standard and has been for decades.

The only 2 that spring to mind are the aforementioned Gemini Man (awful movie IMO, nit just due to the frame rate) and The Hobbit which has never had a release in anything other than 24fps but showed a higher framerate at the cinema. I'm sure there's others, but they're the exception.
Higher frame rates are really for sports.

I think the issue is your TV unfortunately. You're not going to see the full benefits unless you moved up a bit.

I think the issue is your TV unfortunately. You're not going to see the full benefits unless you moved up a bit.
Yeah, it's not worth the extra $600 to move up. The Q80t sells for $1.8k for 65". I'd rather buy hunting gear for my upcoming elk hunt.

Pacific Rim has very good HDR on a capable set, yours sadly isn’t very capable of HDR.
Yes, mine is capable of HDR. Samsung adjusted my settings remotely & everything is fine. Picture &quality is much better than the smart TV I had

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom