4K movies DD 5.1 issue

Chitownmope

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey all, trying to play 4K Jurassic park in ps5. I using lg cx in bitstream, ps5 is outputting in bitstream, games and apps working for DD 5.1 to my old onkyo receiver via optical from tv. When starting the movie the initial menus go to Dolby D on receiver but once movie starts the receiver seems like pcm. I included the screenshots from menu and movie which shows DD for menu and DTS-HD for main movie. I suspect the movie is outputting DTS-HD which I suspect the ps5 cannot decode? I changed the three dots in movie to bitstream output as well and still no luck. Wondering if I just need newer receiver but there are few that pass through 120hz at decent cost.

Attachments

• D9CD9D0B-B741-42F3-B677-BB3E3F2933E9.jpeg
    D9CD9D0B-B741-42F3-B677-BB3E3F2933E9.jpeg
    374.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 7D7E1BB8-98CF-4B6C-A57E-E58EAE9D88EC.jpeg
    7D7E1BB8-98CF-4B6C-A57E-E58EAE9D88EC.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 83
I'm not sure what exactly your issue is or what your asking, with that said,
Jurrasic Park is encoded in DTS-X the DTS equivalent of Dolby Atmos for the 4k blu-ray your Receiver isn't capable of DTS-X so it will drop to whatever your receiver is capable of which looks to be DTS-HD, there is no Dolby option for the movie,

Last edited:
I'm not sure what exactly your issue is or what your asking, with that said,
Jurrasic Park is encoded in DTS-X the DTS equivalent of Dolby Atmos for the 4k blu-ray your Receiver isn't capable of DTS-X so it will drop to whatever your receiver is capable of which looks to be DTS-HD, there is no Dolby option for the movie,
Thanks for the input. I was accustomed to seeing the Dolby D for best sound from my receiver which is now quite old, seems that thinking doesn’t work anymore with newer formats. I would like to get a new one that supports 4K/120hz passthrough but seems Yamaha new releases still don’t passthrough as advertised.

side note noob question, are atmos speakers that shoot toward ceiling worth the upgrade for a 5.1 to a 5.1.2 for someone not wanting to wire and cut holes in ceiling?

I have switched back and forth from blue ray on ps3 Dolby 5.1 and 4K Ps5 which suggests DTS-HD MA. Both via toslink on same volume setting but the blue ray on Dolby D ps3 sounds much better so I am guessing need new receiver so can get full data from 4K source to receiver

LG CX doesn't support passthrough of DTS sound which is why the main film on your PS5 is dropping to stereo LPCM as digital optical can only carry stereo LPCM.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom