4K 'missing link' Question.

sjb1970

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all, long time lurker etc! Around 6/7 years ago I joined up here and with the knowledge gained bought my first 'good' AV set up which consisted of a Sony KDL46W4500 TV, a Sony DA2400ES amp & a Pioneer DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player. Just last week both the blu-ray and TV died. I've replaced the TV with A Sony KD55X8509C unit and the Blu-ray with a Sony BDPS7200.
So my question is regarding my old Sony amp, am I missing the 4K 'link' by not having a modern 4K amp to complete the 4K signal(?) from player to TV? The amp is still working perfectly (although sh*t does happen in three's right??!!).

Thanks in advance,
Shawn.

Well by chance I have found my answer on the sony tv owners thread. Looks like I should either connect my player directly to the tv (and live with the tv speakers) or buy a new amp.....

I wouldn't rush to buy a new amp though since you're only upscaling BluRays to 4K and your TV will do this anyway if you pass 1080p through your current amp to the TV. If you later bought a UHD player then you could still connect one HDMI out to the amp and the other to the TV (if the UHD player has two HDMI outputs which some will have).

You do have another option available to you. That Sony Blu-ray player has a Coax digital audio out that you can plug straight into the AMP while using the HDMI into the TV. You probably have to select the digital out in the Blu-ray menu.

Attachments

• sony.jpg
    sony.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 38

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom