• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question 4K LCD TV to Replace Panasonic TC-P55ST50

BobbyMac

Banned
What models should I be looking at in terms of PQ against my Panny?

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
I have bought a Samsung JS9000 coming from a VT30 and the picture is excellent after using the recommended forum settings. I do have an issue with light bleed on the sides so will be getting it exchanged but 4K footage and the HDR and colour range it does look stunning with decent content.

BobbyMac

Banned
I was afraid of that, long term plan is to buy a 4K OLED next gen in 2016, was hoping for a stopgap 4K LED for under a grand to tide me over until then (Would punt my 55ST50 Plasma)

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
I was afraid of that, long term plan is to buy a 4K OLED next gen in 2016, was hoping for a stopgap 4K LED for under a grand to tide me over until then (Would punt my 55ST50 Plasma)
Got a OLED and is stunning apart from minor issues on certain very dark scenes. See the LG 950v thread for details but whoops the plasma for contrast.
Quick photo showing OLED compared to JS9000 viewing angle
ImageUploadedByAVForums1447014063.133870.jpg

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
You are best getting a cheapish LED, have a look at the reviews on here. Some good sets for under £1000.

BobbyMac

Banned
Bump

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
TX-55CX680B.

I have the 50" version having previously had a (calibrated) 55VT30 with sources plumbed in via a Lumagen Radiance XS3D and Darbee DVP. The CX680 is a marked step up from that in terms of PQ. Black levels are broadly the same (measured at 0.015cd/m2) and the CX680 can go much brighter (if that's your thing). The image can be made more accurate more easily too.

Only issues are the typical VA LCD issues. Low viewing angles (off axis will start to lose saturation) and motion handling.

One of my reasons for buying the CX680 was as a 4K stop gap. I can see me getting many years of use out of it now.

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom