4K - How can I actually watch it?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by gashead86, Jun 15, 2015.

1. gashead86

gashead86
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I will apolagise straight away if this has been asked before, I promise I did search but it just threw up too much random stuff and I couldn't find what I needed. Hence me asking here specifically.

I have just upgraded to a new 55" LG 4K Tv, having unboxed and set the TV I am so far quite impressed. No great leaps in quality from my old LG 50 LED TV, but then again I was really expecting any.

My question is this... How can I watch 4K? I have since getting my TV discovered that I can only get a max of 8 (not sure of the measurable unit) when I understand that netflix requires 15! So I am guess that is out? I have tried to watch a few 4K demos on youtube, and whilst they look great! They do blow me away like they did in the shop.... Is tihs again because my internet speed is not great? Or am I even watching genuine 4K?!

I also now understand that 4K players are some way off.. So is there anyway considering my relatively poor internet speed that i can actually watch anything in 4K on my new TV?

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer guys.

2. BigD18t

BigD18t
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,636
    4K minimum speeds are around 16meg faster is better, the only you could do is download 4K from youtube using youtube 4k video downloader app that is free.

ultra HD blueray should be here by the end of the year.

3. gashead86

gashead86
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Thank you for that.

So what is happening at the moment when I am playing 4K videos on youtube? Are they just decreasing in quality to suit my internet connection? That is sort of what I suspected if that is the case..

Thanks again

4. BigD18t

BigD18t
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,636
    Yes, the tv will automatically adjust the PQ to the speed you have, One thing i would recommend is to wire the TV and not use Wifi, giving it best speed possible then.

5. gashead86

gashead86
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats an excellent point actually! I currently have connected via wi fi, but perhaps a hardwired connection might speed things up? I guess another option might be to look for some 4K content to download and then play via a USB stick?

6. BigD18t

BigD18t
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,636
    Yes, if you google 4K video downloader and install it, then youtube 4K video, Go Pro have loads, copy the video link then paste it into the 4K app and it will download it to be put on USB or network streamed.

Wired may help you a little, but i think you will need more speed to stream.

7. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    Resolution isn't everything. The bitrate of the video is important as well.

Having seen House of Cards in 4K Netflix and on Bluray I can't say the 4K stream looked better (as well as having an inferior audio track) but it did look better than the 1080p stream.

I'd have said for PQ it was about a draw, some scenes were better in 4K some in Bluray.
    Audio it was Bluray by a mile

https://www.avforums.com/article/is-4k-netflix-better-than-blu-ray.10589

8. gashead86

gashead86
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh really? So on that logic I guess for the true potential of 4K to be realized we really need a 4K disc player much like a blu ray player?

9. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    That may be true. Or the hope that Internet speeds will improve nationally. BT recently announced that it will be providing 4k football and rugby transmissions later this year but this will depend on customers having access to their fastest broadband services and buying in to a premium service. They are jumping ahead of what Sky and Virgin might provide. Disk based delivery has been delayed for all sorts of reasons including the agreement of a universal standard that all movie distributors will sign up to. At the moment we have no way of knowing how good this might be. We can assume that disks will be expensive. Blurays have not dropped in price much over time.

There are those who believe that on - line delivery is the real way to go. Broadcasters like the BBC are reluctant to jump in with conventional aerial services because of cost and lack of bandwidth. Remember that early HD transmissions were more impressive than they are now, particularly on satellite delivery. Customers seem to want quantity of programmes rather than quality. There is only so much you can cram into the respective bandwidths available. Sky, ESPN and the BBC got their fingers burnt over 3D which did not go the way that was expected.

TV manufacturers and dealers are using memory sticks and special hard drive boxes to demonstrate the capabilities of 4k although the material is often little more than some very static clips which keep within the bit rate that the limited delivery system offers. I'm not saying this is a 'con', but it goes in this direction. When flat screens were first introduced shops would show animations because this displayed less of the imperfections of early LCD screens.

No doubt the situation will improve, at a cost to the consumer in the long run. Some early 4k sets proved to be unable to cope with Netflix services. Some degree of patience is required and a hope that a standards are adopted suitable for all consumers.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  10. satmanuk

satmanuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    sky were testing a broadcom 4k box last i saw and also netflix is doing 4k shows

also on koidi android boxes there is some 4k things

11. fluxedman

fluxedman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great post had a feeling 4K is and still in its infancy stage, maybe by xmas we may see 4K bluray films galore but even then I reckon the differences may not always shine through and they will come at a silly price. 4K is the future but when very little to no content exist its tricky to jump straight onto it.

Maybe in 2-3 years time we maybe different and the next xbox and playstation will sport 4K we may even have Sky 4K and Cable 4K box top sets and several 4K channels one would surely have to watch that buffer though ;)

12. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27,651
    Spiderman 3 cost me £17.98 in 2007. On Amazon that disk is now £1.99. If you like, allowing for inflation it should actually cost more money still.

13. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Old titles might reduce in price although £1.99 would make me suspicious that it might be counterfeit. New titles remain at a premium level well above DVD prices. HMV charge around £10 for this title and £18 for a steel book remastered edition.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015