4K Home Theatre PC builds.

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by Rock Danger, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,896
    So what are you fine gentlemen and ladies? going to use for 4K HDMI 2.0a output when the time comes to upgrade or build from new.

My trusty i3 with 4GB ram and a 6X series radeon card just stutters with any 4K dem material. I know ATi have some new stuff coming out, but hopefully we'll get something in small form factor at an ok price.

thoughts?

2. richardb70

richardb70
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,363
    Would a GTX 960 be within your budget? Otherwise I'd have thought an APU would be able to pull 4K off, but obviously you'd need 2.0 on the motherboard...

3. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,896
    Yeah sure, I'm just wondering is it better to start again and do an i5 build when the time comes. 4k discs will start arriving march and since the structure seems to be the same I don't think much work will be involved with internal players and ripping tools.

I don't need it now but it will have to be HDCP2.2/HDMI2.0a

4. richardb70

richardb70
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,363
    Don't forget all the new cards coming out from nVidia and AMD this year (?). All of those should be 4K ready but "new" probably means "premium price".

I'd have thought an i3 would still be able to cope with streaming.

5. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,896
    Yeah I guess a suitable GPU is gonna be roughly £150-ish? Funny enough I was surprised the i3 couldn't manage the 4K stuff either - this is the GPU I'm using.

Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB Ultimate fanless graphics card review - Graphics - HEXUS.net - Page 9

My PSU will handle the power for something sexier.. has to be the GPU choking, right?

6. Nerved One

Nerved One
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Too early for me....I get 140 FPS in Battlefield 4 at 1080p...think my card is Nvidia GTX780 Ti.....and if I'm going to go down the 4K route with multi GPU, I might as well replace MoBo for GDDR4 memory.....but I don't do small form factor...I have the Cooler Master Cosmos 2 case....it's a beast...but I have it running so cool...it runs very quiet...and even gaming does not stress it....

Not looked into it...but to get north of 100fps at ultra settings for BF4...I'd probably need at least 2 beefy GPUs....I watched a vid on YouTube about a year ago and he was running 4 beefy Nvidia cards to get decent FPS......at some cost......

7. Nerved One

Nerved One
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    O yes..way north of £500 I'd have thought....and to get decent FPS...you might need more than one!

8. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,896
    Not for 4K movies, the small form factor GTX 950 providing it gets a firmware update to HDMI 2.0a should do it. I'm not planning on playing any games on it.

9. Nerved One

Nerved One
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    What are you mainly using it for then? Media server? I just this morning ran a 7.5m Cat6 cable from router to net gear switch in lounge to feed all the AV kit that needs a network connection. Was using wall plugs before..but direct is best. I have an Apple TV with the Plex app on it....and I just stream locally stored content from PC and NAS.....I did consider a Mac Mini....but the Apple TV does the trick....you used Plex before....awesome app...and it's free!...for 4K....I have the Amazon Fire...and Nick is trying to get me to come in and see the 4K OLED 65" Panny....but it's £8k.....

10. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,896
    Yeah it's a desktop as my main media player and server - using homeplugs for 720p/1080p to the bedroom or anywhere else required.

11. Nerved One

Nerved One
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Similar to me....I can't be doing with running network cables round the house...so direct from router for the lounge with all the AV gear in it...and still use wall plugs for other rooms..and either net over power with wifi for phones and iPads etc....works well.

12. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,896
    Well there's no 2.0a cards enabled yet but the 9x series nvidia and whatever Radeon bring out will just be a matter of a firmware upgrade.

They just need to do 4k at 24/60fps with upward of 10bit colour and native TV rez support.

13. pRot3us

pRot3us
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,347
    I'm not so sure about this for the following reasons ;

Hardware
    There are no UHD BD drives even announced (whether current BDXL drives will work is unknown, but I'm doubtful).

Software
    No licensed players have been announced, and if you look at the way content providers look down their nose at the PC (no 4k streaming content is available on a PC) it's not looking good (I hope I'm wrong). Then of course there's HDCP 2.2 which will need circumventing (if it can be circumvented at all).

Plus there's HDMI2.0a capability, we need PC hardware and software that will allow passthrough of the HDR metadata.

I'm already 4k Ready, but full 4k UHD BD HTPC readiness doesn't exist.

As much as it pains me to say I'll be jumping to a standalone player for UHD BD (hopefully as a stop gap) and that's coming from someone who has used a PC for movie playback going back to 1999, from DVD through HD DVD, Blu ray and more recently NAS stored ISO rips of these discs. I've only ever owned one standalone DVD player in all that time and that was a cheap jobbie for the bedroom.

14. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,896
    True, but if the BDXL drives can't be modified, Liteon will spit one out soon enough.

License schmicense? HDCP2.2 doesn't look like it's going to be an issue at all from what I can tell. Any players like MPC-HC are bound to pick it up as well as the kodi people, VLC etc.

Should be a simple firmware update for that as it's been the case for all 4K AVR boards and HDR gaming is happening.

15. Navvie

Navvie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +330
    I'll get a standalone player first and keep a weather eye out for a PC drive and software.

I've just cleared more DVDs and Blu-Rays off the shelves to the loft, so there's plenty of space for 4K discs to live at the moment.

16. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,896
    You can be sure that 4k blu ray at £30 a disc and up, will still have ads and trailers and the copyright Nazis will spend kabillions on encryption and other pointless nonsense.

I'd happy buy digital only stuff even at 25gb plus a movie rather than faff around with physical media.