DrakeFive55

I'm thinking about getting a 4K HDR TV on a budget for my PS4 pro

I don't need anything big as the TV will be on my desk, between 32-42 ideally

I've seen some HDR 4K TV's online for £350 how will these be? What's the input lag on them like

Can anyone offer suggestions on which one to get for around £400

Dodgexander

There is no low range TV that is worth getting for HDR. For UHD maybe if you view close enough (approx 60-80cm from a 40") but then you have to play a lot of games at lower quality and lower frame rate (usually 30fps) at UHD vs FHD.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Could I get a good 4k tv without HDR for around my price point? I'm wondering if it'd be worth getting one without HDR
The budget TVs in the guide are TVs that accept HDR but really only for compatibility purposes, most of them are UHD models.

DrakeFive55

The budget TVs in the guide are TVs that accept HDR but really only for compatibility purposes, most of them are UHD models.

Could you comment on the SAMSUNG UE40MU6120 40" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV

Seems to be around £380, wondering how it'd be for an entry level 4k. How far away should I be sitting from something that's 40" as it'd be on my desk about 2ft away

Dodgexander

DrakeFive55

It has a wide colour gamut so slightly better colour overall, but mostly only useful for HDR so not neccesary.

Thank you

So the SAMSUNG UE40MU6120 should be a decent buy for use with a PS4 Pro? I have read some reviews and they all seem to favor it, only thing I couldn't see mentioned was input lag. Not sure how much of a problem this will be considering I'm so used to gaming on low input lag computer monitors

DrakeFive55

For the pro get the MU6400, it may be marginally better if you do happen to use HDR from time to time.

No need to worry about input lag, its low enough on all models now, particularly the Samsungs.

It's about £70 more expensive though so is it really worth it? From what I've read having HDR on really increases input lag so I probably wouldn't use it

Dodgexander

next010

Distinguished Member
You can just turn off HDR in the games or on the PS4 Pro itself and still get the 4K output with higher resolution on the PS4 Pro enhanced titles.

The higher resolution is the better benefit than HDR IMO.

Analysis

Banned
HDR hardly effects the input lag of any tv if you use the correct game mode or PC mode.

If you are competitive gamer a gaming monitor is the best option.

Nick Stromkern

Novice Member
If you go with the Samsung's 6xxx models, I would recommend testing for the motion blur. Not sure if it varies from set to set due to the panel itself, but mine has some pretty awful blur/smearing during horizontal panning in dark scenes.

I only played couple games where it was noticable, but acceptable during the 30 day return period. Sadly I started Dark Souls 3 right after that period expired and the blurriness has been quite bad in the otherwise gorgeous looking game.

DrakeFive55

If you go with the Samsung's 6xxx models, I would recommend testing for the motion blur. Not sure if it varies from set to set due to the panel itself, but mine has some pretty awful blur/smearing during horizontal panning in dark scenes.

I only played couple games where it was noticable, but acceptable during the 30 day return period. Sadly I started Dark Souls 3 right after that period expired and the blurriness has been quite bad in the otherwise gorgeous looking game.

Isn't their settings you can change to fix this? I will be playing a lot of fifa which can cause a lot of blur on some panels so I hope this one isn't affected much

Dodgexander

A trait of all LCDs, even high end ones sadly. Response times on the TV are average, not poor but not great either. Same goes for every 40" TV.

You could get a TV with an IPS panel which may have slightly better response times at 43" but then you run the risk of a less uniform screen and worse picture quality in the respect of contrast and blacks.

DrakeFive55

A trait of all LCDs, even high end ones sadly. Response times on the TV are average, not poor but not great either. Same goes for every 40" TV.

You could get a TV with an IPS panel which may have slightly better response times at 43" but then you run the risk of a less uniform screen and worse picture quality in the respect of contrast and blacks.

Interesting. Wondering now if it'd be difficult to play fast paced games on because of this

leeb-1977

If it helps, I bought the 6120 for my son's bedroom and then sent it back in favour of the 6400.

Extra money is worth every single penny. He uses it for Xbox one x and ps4 pro gaming and the wide colour gamut really does make a difference.

leeb-1977

I should add we bought the 40" variants and it's fine for every game we've thrown at it.

Not sure if we have just dropped on a decent panel, there's some light bleed that I would describe as typical for this kind of tv... but nothing off putting. Motion wise we've seen no blur at all.. even with fast paced games.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for November 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PrimaLuna debuts Evo 300 Hybrid integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern announces AK ZERO1 in ear monitor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh launches MI1250 power amplifier