Marv

So I have owned my Bravia for four years and when i got it I googled the best settings and used those [i"]Scene mode Cinema, Brightness 20, Contrast 90, Colour Expert 2, Motion smoothing off etc"[/i]

Anyway I was watching a UHD today and was playing around and set the "Scene Select" to "HDR" and the picture was brighter and looked to have more fine detail on peoples faces.

Now I was under the impression that no matter what scene I had the TV set on that if I was watching HDR content the TV would output HDR. Am I right? or have I been watching UHDS without HDR for the past four years.

Morden

So I have owned my Bravia for four years and when i got it I googled the best settings and used those [i"]Scene mode Cinema, Brightness 20, Contrast 90, Colour Expert 2, Motion smoothing off etc"[/i]

Anyway I was watching a UHD today and was playing around and set the "Scene Select" to "HDR" and the picture was brighter and looked to have more fine detail on peoples faces.

Now I was under the impression that no matter what scene I had the TV set on that if I was watching HDR content the TV would output HDR. Am I right? or have I been watching UHDS without HDR for the past four years.

You should not need to switch hdr on manually.

It should automatically appear for hdr content.
You can check as in picture settings it will say hdr content if its got hdr content.

What model of bravia do you have?

Marv

Its a KD65 XE7002. So am I best leaving the "Scene Select" on Cinema and only using the HDR scene for watching 4K UHDs?

I did think it was always out putting HDR when i'am watching HDR content. I'am guessing each scene is optimized for what your using the tv for.

Morden

Its a KD65 XE7002. So am I best leaving the "Scene Select" on Cinema and only using the HDR scene for watching 4K UHDs?

I did think it was always out putting HDR when i'am watching HDR content. I'am guessing each scene is optimized for what your using the tv for.

See rtings for best settings.. Sony X720E Calibration Settings

Its different from both of my tvs as hdr is automatic with no change required to settings and no HDR scene select.
But for your TV model I would follow what rtings recomends...

To correctly display HDR content, you need to select the 'HDR 'Scene select'. If the 'Scene select' is on 'Auto', the TV will change to the HDR Scene select automatically, so in that case, the 'Auto' 'Scene select' could be a good option if you are often watching both SDR and HDR content.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom