4K HDR files on External HDD + Wired Nvidia Shield - Buffering

Aziz Ismail

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All.

I have recently decided to rip my blu-rays and save them to a HDD (Contemplating on investing in a NAS/DAS also)
I have created a Plex Server on my Nvidia Shield (2017) and have my HDD connected directly in the rear of the shield. Now for some reason, 20mins into any a movie, I get an error message pop up about the network connection being too slow? The 4K movie is then literally unwatchable due to the amount of stop/starts. I have the Shield connected to a home plug and ran a speed test. I get around 70/80mbps.

The strange thing is, if I open Kodi and then access the hdd content, I have zero buffering whilst watching? Why would the Plex Server require an internet connection if its literally just playing content from a HDD?

I have looked online and not quiet sure how to resolve the Plex issue on my shield.

Is this possibly due to me not paying for a Plex Pass?

Thanks in advance.

That is a strange bug, not familiar enough with the plex server on the shield to know what causing that, something is causing the server/client to think its playing from a network source., Plex forums might be a better place to ask.

You could try narrowing it down to see if its a Plex client issue on the Shield and not the server.

In Kodi add-ons install the Plex plugin and connect to the Plex server through Kodi, see if the problem persists.

If it doesn't then you can at least use Kodi with Plex in the interim, you can also have plex plugin auto start upon loading kodi within its settings too.

That is a strange bug, not familiar enough with the plex server on the shield to know what causing that, something is causing the server/client to think its playing from a network source., Plex forums might be a better place to ask.

You could try narrowing it down to see if its a Plex client issue on the Shield and not the server.

In Kodi add-ons install the Plex plugin and connect to the Plex server through Kodi, see if the problem persists.

If it doesn't then you can at least use Kodi with Plex in the interim, you can also have plex plugin auto start upon loading kodi within its settings too.
Thank you for your reply.

I think i solved the issue last night. I restored my Nvidia Shield back to factory settings are re-setup my plex server. For some strange reason the plex server was using internal storage to play my media. All my movies were on an external 4TB HDD. Now that the plex server is pointing at the correct location, when i play a 4K movie, on my Macbook it shows that it is direct play rather than it trying to transcode or have that HW sign next to the information.

I do need to watch a movie for longer than 20 mins mind you but it streamed fine for around 10 mins yesterday.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom