4k HDMI Splitter recommendation

Ped C

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All. I'm looking for a 4k HDMI spliter which is HDCP2.2, YcbCr 4:4:4 compatible and backwards compatible to previous formats.

There appears to be a mind boggling array of splitters on Amazon with varying degrees of compatibility.

i only need two HDMi outputs but would consider more.

I've seen one or two on Amazon which appears to fit my criteria, but are in the £40-£50 range which seems expensive for what they are.

Are you looking to mirror the full 4K UHD, HDCP2.2 (presumably HDR, HD and Immersive audio) signal to both outputs or does your 'backwards compatible' comment mean you require one of the Outputs to 'down convert' to suit a non-4K UHD Display, AVR or Soundbar?

Joe

Whoops, sorry. I got my terminology wrong. I need a switch not a splitter. But in answer to your question Joe, I want the splitter to be compatible with all the formats you mentioned. My set up is a Panasonic GX800 LED TV, Sonos Beam (connected to ARC) and Sky HD box. I want to run a UHD Disc player and Apple TV through the switch as I'm one HDMi port short on the TV.

The SONOS BEAM doesn't support HD or Immersive audio - though no harm looking for those Features on the HDMI Switch.

Ensure any Switch is externally powered rather than it 'stealing' power from the connected Source device.

Your other option is to forget about using ARC and use Optical Out of the TV into the BEAM via the supplied Optical to HDMI adapter - that will free up the ARC port on the TV for your 'third' HDMI Source!

Joe

Thats a good point. I didn't think the beam was able to receive Dolby Digital through optical and would my TV pass though DD from the HDMI connected sources? One way to find out I suppose, but that would definitely solve my problem if it works!

So it would appear that my TV does pass through Dolby 5.1 through optical. Using it to pass through optical opposed to HDMI, would that have any effect on the sound quality? I was of the impression it would be better via HDMI?

Stick with HDMI In to the TV and Optical Out to the BEAM - in 'theory' HDMI can carry a higher bitrate than Optical, in practice it'll make no difference to what you hear in your room.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom