4K HDMI handshake help!

rvgetfive

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m moving from a Sony 1080p projector to Sony 4K projector. New high speed 4K hdmi cable, 25 feet, going from 4K TiVo DVR to Yamaha A3060 to the projector. Worked for a few minutes but now can’t get a picture (sound cuts in and out). 4K Roku doesn’t work at all. Tried a different 4K hdmi cable with same results.
However, when I bypass the receiver and run either the TiVo or the Roku directly to the Projector, I get a good picture. All hdmi cables are newly purchased Ultra 4K certified cables (blah blah blah) from Best Buy.
I’ve unplugged and tried a few times but can’t get anything working again past the very first time i hooked it up earlier this evening.

Based on the fact that I can get a picture by running the hdmi directly from the source to the projector, something is not behaving with the Yamaha receiver.

Any thoughts? I’m about pull my hair out.

On the Sony projector and this is from memory so terminology might be wrong when you go into HDMI settings I recall an option to select standard and enhanced. Try adjusting this to standard and see if that works

True. I’ll see what happens. HDR (with “enhanced” setting turned on at the projector) DOES work when directly wiring from the source to the projector. So still thinking it’s something with the receiver.

Get the manual for your receiver and check that it is set to pass through full 18Gbps bandwidth signals with no scaling etc.
AVRs often have hidden menu options that need checking.
Best to ask in a thread dedicated to that AVR for best answers.

Hi, I’m moving from a Sony 1080p projector to Sony 4K projector. New high speed 4K hdmi cable, 25 feet, going from 4K TiVo DVR to Yamaha A3060 to the projector.
I imagine it’s the cable, anything over 5m you are looking at a fibre hybrid cable.25 feet is 7.6m so you are definitely in that range.
A few people use these which are cheaper than the Ruipro which I use Amazon product ASIN B07WZFFT2R

All hdmi cables are newly purchased Ultra 4K certified cables (blah blah blah) from Best Buy.
are you sure about this ? did they have a QR code to scan with the hdmi.org app to confirm they are indeed certified ?

25 feet is a big deal...

you can buy the affordable monoprice that at 25 feet are premium ratified and you can confirm this with scanning the QR code they come with and using the hdmi.org app :)

are you sure about this ? did they have a QR code to scan with the hdmi.org app to confirm they are indeed certified ?

25 feet is a big deal...

you can buy the affordable monoprice that at 25 feet are premium ratified and you can confirm this with scanning the QR code they come with and using the hdmi.org app :)

I just received a certified fiber cable and hooked it up. Same thing. Pushes 1080p fine, and then sound only if I try to send 4k; no video signal.

It’s weird because the very first time I hooked it up, I had to “retry” three or four times, but it finally recognized the 4k signal. Then I never could get it to work again.

I just received a certified fiber cable and hooked it up. Same thing. Pushes 1080p fine, and then sound only if I try to send 4k; no video signal.
not to suggest it HAS to be the cable .. but jsut so know ... you cant actually get premium certified fibre cables.. certainly not for 18gps premium certified.

the only ones you can is for ultra high speed ie 48 gbps and are rare as :)
if wondering how to identify certified cables can see link below,

and will see the hdmi.org QR code :)

HDMI Premium Cable

Premium High Speed HDMI Cable and Premium High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet
Premium HDMI Cables are a special certification for High Speed HDMI Cables that have been designed and certified for ultra-reliable performance for 4K/UltraHD including advanced features such as 4K60, HDR, and expanded color spaces including BT.2020. They have low EMI and are identified by HDMI LA’s Premium HDMI Cable Certification Label for authentication and in-field verification.

It’s weird because the very first time I hooked it up, I had to “retry” three or four times, but it finally recognized the 4k signal. Then I never could get it to work again.
it certainly seems there is something falling over along way. its the unfortunate thing with hdmi that every single thing in the path needs to be capable.. not only gear but also all settings to enable...

have you an apple TV or xbox one x /series X as either have cable tests and will also test the entire signal path for you.

It is an unfortunate consequence of the s***show that is HDMI, that the standards are not clear.
Many people install long cables in walls with 1080 gear and then just think/expect it to work with full fat 4K. It likely will not especially if it is a length long enough to require hiding in walls/ceilings.
8K/48Gbps will only serve to make this even more difficult.
Hiding cables in ceilings and under floors etc is foolhardy to me as no one knows what will be required with future standards/bandwidth requirements.
I hate HDMI.
As for the OPs issue, maybe set the source to 4K 8bit colour (non HDR) and see if that signal makes it through.
The AVR is from 2016 and that was early days in 4K and may not have the full chops necessary to handle modern signals.

not to suggest it HAS to be the cable .. but jsut so know ... you cant actually get premium certified fibre cables.. certainly not for 18gps premium certified.

the only ones you can is for ultra high speed ie 48 gbps and are rare as :)

and will see the hdmi.org QR code :)

HDMI Premium Cable

Premium HDMI Cables are a special certification for High Speed HDMI Cables that have been designed and certified for ultra-reliable performance for 4K/UltraHD including advanced features such as 4K60, HDR, and expanded color spaces including BT.2020. They have low EMI and are identified by HDMI LA’s Premium HDMI Cable Certification Label for authentication and in-field verification.

it certainly seems there is something falling over along way. its the unfortunate thing with hdmi that every single thing in the path needs to be capable.. not only gear but also all settings to enable...

have you an apple TV or xbox one x /series X as either have cable tests and will also test the entire signal path for you.

No, but I’ve been thinking about adding Apple TV.

Also, then cable I just tried is:

the only ones you can is for ultra high speed ie 48 gbps and are rare as

and will see the hdmi.org QR code

HDMI Premium Cable

It is an unfortunate consequence of the s***show that is HDMI, that the standards are not clear.
Many people install long cables in walls with 1080 gear and then just think/expect it to work with full fat 4K. It likely will not especially if it is a length long enough to require hiding in walls/ceilings.
8K/48Gbps will only serve to make this even more difficult.
Hiding cables in ceilings and under floors etc is foolhardy to me as no one knows what will be required with future standards/bandwidth requirements.
I hate HDMI.
As for the OPs issue, maybe set the source to 4K 8bit colour (non HDR) and see if that signal makes it through.
The AVR is from 2016 and that was early days in 4K and may not have the full chops necessary to handle modern signals.
Yeah I am giving up. It’s gonna either go in another room or be up for sale as a top-of-the-line 1080p solution. They are selling on eBay at a bit of a premium right now. I just ordered a refurbished 3080 with 5 year warranty. Moving on with life. Haha

Attachments

• 34FCC1AA-00CA-4559-8043-1CAC208F1605.jpeg
    34FCC1AA-00CA-4559-8043-1CAC208F1605.jpeg
    584.8 KB · Views: 47
No, but I’ve been thinking about adding Apple TV.

Also, then cable I just tried is:

Yeah I am giving up. It’s gonna either go in another room or be up for sale as a top-of-the-line 1080p solution. They are selling on eBay at a bit of a premium right now. I just ordered a refurbished 3080 with 5 year warranty. Moving on with life. Haha
Did you tell us exactly which Sony projector it is that you have? It makes a difference.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom