4K HDBaseT Matrix Advice

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by fuzzyhead, Nov 10, 2016.

1. fuzzyhead

fuzzyhead
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I would like to transmit a 4k signal around my house to 4 TV points. I have had Cat6 cable installed and terminated at wall plates, the other ends of the cable currently are unterminated at a single point in my study. I have 3 Cat6 cables going to each TV point as well as 1 CT100 cable that I am currently using just with Freeview in the interim.

HDBaseT Matrix

I believe a 4k HDBaseT Matrix is the way forward here and have researched a couple of options:

Blustream HMXL44-KIT-V2

Wyrestorm MX-0404-HDBT-H2-KIT

HDAnywhere MHUB4K44

CYP PUV-44XPL-4K22-KIT

Antiference Trucolour neo 4K UHD HDBase-T Matrix Kit HDCP 2.2​

Sources

In terms of sources I’ll probably be using:

1. BT TV Ultra HD or potentially SkyQ if they give me a good offer (The days of paying £90/month to Sky are long gone for me though!)
    2. Apple TV
    3. PC
    4. Potentially console (PS3) / a cheap media player that can stream on demand

TVs

1. Samsung UE48JU6400 (48” 4K)

2. Samsung LE40A656A1F (40” HD) – Likely to be replaced with a 4k in 2017

3. Samsung UE32H5500AKXXU (32” HD)

4. No TV at present

Questions

1. I appreciate I’m straying into hardware priced at the more professional market but any recommendations of a suitably priced matrix, either those listed above or otherwise, would be welcome

2. I’ve read some mixed messages about some matrices limiting the resolution of output to the lowest connected, so in my case it would be HD and not 4k even when using SkyQ to TV1. Is that accurate?

3. My plan is to terminate all of the Cat6 cables in a patch panel and then link from there to matrix / switch as appropriate. Is that sensible or should I put a plug directly on the end of those I’m using for matrix and avoid the patch panel altogether?

4. Any recommendations for a small, silent, discrete cabinet to hold this hardware i.e. Matrix, switch, patch panel, Sky Box and Apple TV?

Thanks very much in advance!

4K HDBaseT Matrix Advice

2. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Hi

We have used BluStream (and it previous incarnation) for around 4 years and had very few issues and wholeheartedly recommend them. Now to your questions

1. I appreciate I’m straying into hardware priced at the more professional market but any recommendations of a suitably priced matrix, either those listed above or otherwise, would be welcome

£1999+VAT (plus 10% off for AVF members in November) is our price and this includes our own zone remotes for each zone which are not normally included.

Essentials 4x4 HDCP 2.2 HDBaseT Matrix with 4 Receivers

2. I’ve read some mixed messages about some matrices limiting the resolution of output to the lowest connected, so in my case it would be HD and not 4k even when using SkyQ to TV1. Is that accurate?

There should be no mixed messages and the "issue" lies with HDMI not the matrix. a HDMI source with only one output can only deliver one type of video signal at a time so the matrix is just doing its job if it ensures that every TV connected can get an image.

The matrix can happily handle HDCP2.2 4K from the SkyQ however if not all TVS can handle this then those TVS will not get a picture or sound so the resolution is either automatically or set to the lowest common denominator. You can add a downscalar at each none 4K TV or a downscaler splitter at the SKyQ (so outputs both 4K and 1080p) into the mix but this gets expensive. A new 4K TV could well be cheaper.

3. My plan is to terminate all of the Cat6 cables in a patch panel and then link from there to matrix / switch as appropriate. Is that sensible or should I put a plug directly on the end of those I’m using for matrix and avoid the patch panel altogether?

We usually don't recommend using a patch panel for HDBaseT but for neatness we have now started doing this as HDBaseT is quite forgiving over relatively short lengths. Just leave enough spare in case you need to go back to terminated with RJ45 ends later.

4. Any recommendations for a small, silent, discrete cabinet to hold this hardware i.e. Matrix, switch, patch panel, Sky Box and Apple TV?

Are these being located in a living space or a cupboard ?
    Silent will depend if you need fans or not , or if you use a door.

We have a new range of shallow depth low cost cabinets from Penn Elecom but don't have prices to hand.

19 Inch Rack Flat Packs Buy Now at PennElcomOnline.com

We can assist also with CCTV, Home Automation, networking, Wifi

Seb

3. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Sorry missed that bit, it would be better to have cheap small media players at each TV (Raspberry PI with Kodi possibly ) at each TV then each TV can watch a separate Stream if required

4. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Penn Elcom 480mm deep rackmount cabinet (no door)

Height
    6U (320mm) £115
    8U (409mm) £119
    12u (587mm) £125
    16u (766mm) £139
    20u (943mm) £155

Prices ex VAT

Plexiglass and Mesh doors available
    Also shelves, PDUS and patch panels

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,433
    UHD - the trick is understanding what the Matrix does when you select your UHD Source in a Zone with an UHD Display and also what happens if you simultaneously select that same Source in a non-UHD Zone.

UHD - you have to consider Resolution, Refresh rate, HDCP version, HDR and Colour Processing.

HDBT - currently doesn't cover all of the bases so ensure you know which limitations may affect you.

Audio - no mention of an AVR, Soundbar etc

Control - any thoughts on controlling the system?

Users - how many simultaneous users.

Joe

6. fuzzyhead

fuzzyhead
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good plan thanks

They'll be in a study which has a bed too hence it needs to be quiet should someone be sleeping there

Thanks for the rack prices too Seb

7. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501

Glass door as well then , but having a rack cabinet in a bedroom isnt such a good idea as they will always be some noise. (this isnt the cabinet but the equipment) .

The Penn Elecom are now on the website

Floor Standing Cabinets 480mm Deep

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  8. fuzzyhead

fuzzyhead
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And this is where the local upscalers / downscalers come in? Does EDID help with this problem?

Got a Sonos soundbar on the 4K TV (TV 1 above) and just TV speakers for TV2 and TV3 which is fine for now.

Was just thinking HDMI-CEC - will that work?

Maximum of 2

9. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Yes a local downscalar for the none UHD TVs is one way around the issue
    EDID management doesnt exactly cure the issue it just makes sure the source device always sends the resolution you want it to and ignores the EDID information from the TV.

As this is connected VIA optical to the TV, that should be OK. Though you will have to check all your sources HDMI audio outputs are set to the minimum audio that all TVS support (likely to be two channel PCM )

CEC can be an issue with matrixes, and HDMI in general if i'm honest. We usually recommend turning it off to be honest. It wouldnt help you select matrix source or source channel anyway.

A HDBaseT matrix will carry through IR signals to the matrix and the attached sources so either multiple remotes or a universal remote (Harmony) is usually the answer. Though some matrixes also have their own web interface for controlling the actual matrix. There are also 3rd party App based solutions as well.

10. Member 319784

Member 319784

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    Hi fuzzyhead,

Looking at your requirements there, our soon to be released mHub 4K Pro 4x4 sounds like it could be an ideal solution for you. It's HDBaseT Pro and we're hoping to have this available for delivery at the end of this year.

This unit can be controlled using what we call 'Ucontrol'. This is a control app which you can download for free from your smartphone or tablet and this uses IP to IR gen to control not just the source switching on the matrix but also any connected source device or display, all from your phone or tablet.

In it's current form, this matrix would also suffer from the issue with HDMI which you have highlighted there and Seb has alluded to where it can't deal with multiple resolutions from different displays, however we are hoping to have scaling receivers available which will upscale or downscale at the receiver end, allowing for a mixed resolution set up. What this means is that you could watch your SkyQ at 4K on TV 1 whilst watching that same SkyQ output at 1080p on another display simultaneously.