Question 4k gaming - BenQ TK810 vs Optoma UHD42 vs Epson TW7000 vs others?

Your opinion for 4k gaming?

• Optoma UHD42 (UHD50x in US)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Epson TW7000 (3200 in US)

• Optoma UHD51

• Other (please comment)

• Total voters

tsts123

Hello, I've been using an Optoma HD141X for 3-4 years before it died on me, and I'm looking to step up to a 4k projector.

While my HD141X was out for repairs (and is now deemed dead), I've been using a loaner BenQ TK810. It's a bit noisy and doesn't look as satisfying with dark games (e.g elite dangerous) as my old one did.
  • Budget: up to maybe £1.4k for a reaaaally enticing factor, otherwise floating around £1.2k.
  • Setup: sitting on a custom shelf behind the sofa (currently has the BenQ sitting on it), pointing at a wall roughly 5metres away.
  • Primary goals: PS4 and eventually PS5 gaming. Regular movie/series watching. Input lag & picture quality.
  • Features:
    • Just plugged in HDMI is fine, with audio out projector -> sound system.
    • I think I'll need keystone correction as it's sitting on a shelf above the sofa back.

The ones I've found and read about so far, in order of what seems most suited (please provide thoughts if in agreement or not):
  1. Optoma UHD42 (UHD50x in the states): high contrast, high refresh rate, very low input lag, high bulb expectancy.
  2. Epson TW7000 (3200 in the states): okay contrast, low input lag, recommended by richer sounds (but I didn't ask about the optoma yet).
  3. Optoma UHD51: not sure, reading more still. Richer sounds has it in stock.
  4. BenQ TK810: currently have this as a loaner device. Contrast is poor, remote isn't working with sound control, it's loud. Hope the others are better.
  5. Viewsonic x10: apparently a high input lag and a very short throw.
Would you have thoughts & recommendations, even for projectors not in this list?

I wanted to use this as an opportunity to step up to 4k, while I understand going sub 1.5k is limiting my options. Thanks!

DaddyR

I've got the Optoma UHD51 due to arrive in the next few days but it will be weeks before the room is finished for it to be installed. It will mostly be used for movies but I will be using the PS4 Pro (and PS5 eventually) with it so I can give you a view soonish (fingers crossed before Christmas). I'm not a great gamer so I won't be sure if my poor performance is due to input lag or slow fingers!

ReelNeil

Novice Member
what did you decide in the end?

im in the same boat leaning towards the TW7000
as scared about the Optoma 'split screen' issue and terrible customer service people have complained about when dealing with the issue.

tsts123

what did you decide in the end?

im in the same boat leaning towards the TW7000
as scared about the Optoma 'split screen' issue and terrible customer service people have complained about when dealing with the issue.
I actually went with the Optoma UHD42 and I'm VERY happy with it. I had the BenQ as a loaner before I got this and:
  • it's quieter
  • the screen is clearer, in my opinion
  • the remote actually works, though that may have been bad luck in the loaner unit

Really happy with it, using it for movies and PS4 (hopefully PS5 at some point) gaming.

Some points to note on it:
  • Default image settings are kinda crappy. I followed a reddit post on configuring it and then did some tweaking based on an image displayed on my laptop. Looks incredible now. Here's the post: I obsessed over the settings of my Optoma UHD50X for hours and found a good combination
  • Sometimes, less often now, when I first start my PS4 there's a vertical tear mid-screen. Not sure if that's what you mean. A quick click of the "resync" button on the remote refreshes that and the screen is normal again. It's absolutely temporary, definitely a software issue.
  • While it has two HDMI input ports, only one of them is HDMI 2.0 (the other is HDMI 1.4a). Still both useful, though not as nice as if both were 2.0 (for 4k + HDR on both). No biggie.
  • It has vertical keystone (software and physical lens shift). Awesome feature
  • Gaming mode disables vertical keystone, which is unfortunately a shame for suboptimal positioning.

If you're in the UK, I've also had solid experience with richer sounds. They slap on a 7 year warranty on top of the manufacturer's warranty. That recovered the cost of my previous HD projector that broke after 4-5 years and made this upgrade a bit cheaper. If you talk to them about the prices you see online, they might even drop their price slightly = cheaper + extra warranty.

While I haven't tried the TW7000 I'm definitely happy with it. Overall no biggie here with the draw backs. Very happy with my purchase with no issues bothering me persistently (unlike the BenQ...). Hope this helps!

ReelNeil

Novice Member
Awesome glad to hear you are happy with it!

i don't suppose you knew what the tw7000 refresh rate is? cant find it anywhere. i imagine the optoma is probably higher...

yes i think the "Vertical Tear" you mentioned is the same thing i was referring to, there is a thread here and potential fix though firmwear update, but apparently updating it voids your warranty (!):

thanks for the Richer sounds heads up, ill definitely give them a shout, its a lot of money to me and
the added security puts me at ease compared to an online presence only.

tsts123

Awesome glad to hear you are happy with it!

i don't suppose you knew what the tw7000 refresh rate is? cant find it anywhere. i imagine the optoma is probably higher...

yes i think the "Vertical Tear" you mentioned is the same thing i was referring to, there is a thread here and potential fix though firmwear update, but apparently updating it voids your warranty (!):

thanks for the Richer sounds heads up, ill definitely give them a shout, its a lot of money to me and
the added security puts me at ease compared to an online presence only.
Was a lot of money for me too, so I really didn't want to make a bad decision here. With lockdown at the moment, richer sounds also offer a money back period - think it was 30 days. That should reassure a bit.

Regarding the vertical tear - given it can be easily addressed by clicking one button on the remote, and it only happens once after turning it on (presumably after its been off for a while), I really wouldn't bother much effort on trying to deal with it. Especially if there's a non-official solution that puts your warranty at risk... it's such a trivial thing, it's no issue at all. I'd be more bothered if it comes back during usage/gameplay, but I've only seen it when it turns on - after a quick resync it doesn't come back.

Not sure on the refresh rate unfortunately. I checked my notes when comparing and I still had a question mark on the refresh rate point :) no idea unfortunately...

It was head to head vs the optoma when I was making my final choice. Worth noting also the BenQ had pretty clunky input lag (delay from doing something in a game until you actually see that on screen). At least sometimes. I haven't noticed it with the Optoma so far and I'm not using gaming mode because I need the vertical shift (and smaller screen from digitally zooming out a bit).

ReelNeil

Novice Member
if it can be fixed with a simple re-set all good!
what was the main reason you went for the Optoma over the Epson in the end?
on paper the Optoma seems a lot better, and cheaper! i wish i could see them side by side IRL

tsts123

if it can be fixed with a simple re-set all good!
what was the main reason you went for the Optoma over the Epson in the end?
on paper the Optoma seems a lot better, and cheaper! i wish i could see them side by side IRL
Yup! Just one button on the remote, takes a second or two for the image to come back, works every time.

The way I understood it in my research:
  1. Brighter bulb at peak for optoma (3400 ansi vs 2900)
  2. Longer bulb life if you use dynamic black (the "eco" mode where the projector decides how much brightness it needs for the current image), up to 15k hours for optoma.
  3. Stupidly high refresh rate and superb input lag (Epson is an unknown, while this specific optoma is definitely good for gaming - that's their niche market for this projector).
  4. Better contrast ratio for optoma (500k:1 vs 40k:1)
Most of the time it's in use it's to play ps4. I really didn't want something that'd bother me most of the time. Also helps my last projector was also optoma (HD141X) so there's some reputation behind it.

I think the Epson also had a shorter throw (so bigger image at longer distance), so it would've been a problem for me, though I'm not 100% sure if that was the case - was a while back now. I think if I ignored the difference in specs my main lead for optoma was that it was designed for gaming, while I had no idea if the epson would see lag or not... this all just added up and swung me towards the optoma, as well as the return policy from richer sounds in case I had doubt.

ReelNeil

Novice Member
With that return policy you really cant go wrong.
my hand maybe forced by the throw distance.
its tricky as i want the higher contrast as gaming will be secondary use to movies / tv.
i dont have a TV so the projector will be the main source of viewing...

tsts123

With that return policy you really cant go wrong.
my hand maybe forced by the throw distance.
its tricky as i want the higher contrast as gaming will be secondary use to movies / tv.
i dont have a TV so the projector will be the main source of viewing...
Completely the same as me. Primarily gaming here and there (and it looks incredible, even on the ancient PS4, even during the day). Then the occasional netflix etc in the evenings. I think my throw is around 5 metres ish (estimated guess) and zoomed out via the lens, plus digital zoom out to shrink the image further, and it's perfect. The BenQ was too big even after trying to zoom out as much as possible. If you're worried that your wall is closer, you can get a pretty big image even at a shorter distance. If I reset everything the image is huge.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom