4k firestick v Nvidia shield tv pro

shaynemawer

Hi all, have a 4k firestick that I use on a LG C9. We watch alot of movies/ tv series and also sport via the Firestick.

Been thinking since we use the firestick alot (no problems so far, still fast to respond etc) is it worth upgrading to a Nvidia shield tv pro ? Will we get any benefit from say, the upscalling capabilities?

Probably wont use the shield to game on (have a pi3b setup in a home built arcade cabinet)

It's just more benefiting from a better picture or is the difference minimal and not worth upgrading.

dion 6

Hi all, have a 4k firestick that I use on a LG C9. We watch alot of movies/ tv series and also sport via the Firestick.

Been thinking since we use the firestick alot (no problems so far, still fast to respond etc) is it worth upgrading to a Nvidia shield tv pro ? Will we get any benefit from say, the upscalling capabilities?

Probably wont use the shield to game on (have a pi3b setup in a home built arcade cabinet)

It's just more benefiting from a better picture or is the difference minimal and not worth upgrading.
If all you are after is better picture I'd says its not worth it

BigA1

The little inexpensive firesrick is a belter for the money especially if you can snap one up on prime day and save some more cash. I have both and love both.

DKI

Personally these days for the Shield Pro it comes down to Plex or gaming and sometimes the on demand apps.

Given you have the LG C9 the inbuilt apps should be better cause they do native frame rate better compared the the firestick or other android devices that does 60hz by default. (The shield has 3rd Party add on to do native framerate but some apps like Disney Plus and Amazon prime have issues with it.

If your use plex and can decode Dolby True HD then the shield is the only device to support it. (not sure about LG TVs if they can do True HD decoding).

In the UK if you use catch-up services like All4 or UKTV as well they are not on the Shield but is on the firestick and if you want or have nowtv again only on the fire stick.

The shield does have AI upscaling but some prefer it and others don't it's subjective depending on the user.

Personally it's not worth upgrading I would say but it might be better switching to the built in apps on the TV as they will be native frame rate which will be better. Also your TV if it is the OLED C9 support Dolby Digital Plus Atmos and netflix on your TV will be in Atmos if you have netflix 4K sub.

phunny12000

Standard Member
Firestick 4k has a setting for native frame rate and passthrough for hd sound also and Atmos is using a base carrier of Dolby or DTS master!

shaynemawer

Personally these days for the Shield Pro it comes down to Plex or gaming and sometimes the on demand apps.

Given you have the LG C9 the inbuilt apps should be better cause they do native frame rate better compared the the firestick or other android devices that does 60hz by default. (The shield has 3rd Party add on to do native framerate but some apps like Disney Plus and Amazon prime have issues with it.

If your use plex and can decode Dolby True HD then the shield is the only device to support it. (not sure about LG TVs if they can do True HD decoding).

In the UK if you use catch-up services like All4 or UKTV as well they are not on the Shield but is on the firestick and if you want or have nowtv again only on the fire stick.

The shield does have AI upscaling but some prefer it and others don't it's subjective depending on the user.

Personally it's not worth upgrading I would say but it might be better switching to the built in apps on the TV as they will be native frame rate which will be better. Also your TV if it is the OLED C9 support Dolby Digital Plus Atmos and netflix on your TV will be in Atmos if you have netflix 4K sub.
the upscaling is the only thing i'd use really. pull all my content from unofficial sources

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Hisense A7G, Zidoo Z1000 & Kudos Cardea C10 Reviews + Movie News and Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom