4K Extras Image Quality

woodie999

Standard Member
Hi All. I have a Panasonic UB820 4K Blu-ray player hooked-up, via a JBL 9.1 wireless soundbar to a 55" LG C9 OLED TV. It's a system that provides some wonderful imagery and great sound from my DVD/Blu-ray/4K collection... except when it comes to some extras on some 4K discs. Most recently, the issue has arisen on the Top Gun 4K release. I opened the first extra to find that the colour of the images is rediculously over contrasted and flared-out. The interviews etc seem fine, but the film clips almost look like they're from a pirate video. I've attached a couple of stills to illustrate the issue. On other discs (Nobody, Total Recall, Flash Gordon, In the Line of Fire spring immediately to mind, but there are more) the entirety of the extras seem to suffer from this. After checking my TVs settings, and those on the player, I find that they are all good.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I may be missing?

Any thoughts will be gratefully recieved.

Attachments

• 20220529_125342.JPG
    20220529_125342.JPG
    220.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220529_125547.JPG
    20220529_125547.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220529_125445.JPG
    20220529_125445.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220529_125742.JPG
    20220529_125742.JPG
    228.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220529_130008.JPG
    20220529_130008.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220529_130213.JPG
    20220529_130213.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 27

Indiana Jones

Are they advertised as new extras or legacy? because if they are just legacy ones then they will have been ported over from the Blu-ray/DVD and will originate from the previous transfer of the film hence different detail/colour/brightness etc

This will hold true for many many of the extras on UHD releases, just because there are extras on a UHD it doesn’t mean they are anywhere near 4K, hell some will still be 480p haha

laruso

This is my favourite thing about 4k discs - watching an older film in 4k, then watching the extras and being gobsmacked about how the film actually originally looked. And how amazing the new 4k release actually is.

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
You are watching SDR videos while your display (and/or player) is in HDR mode. Switch to SDR/Rec.709 mode or look for an Auto mode.

woodie999

Standard Member
Are they advertised as new extras or legacy? because if they are just legacy ones then they will have been ported over from the Blu-ray/DVD and will originate from the previous transfer of the film hence different detail/colour/brightness etc

This will hold true for many many of the extras on UHD releases, just because there are extras on a UHD it doesn’t mean they are anywhere near 4K, hell some will still be 480p haha
In the case of Top Gun these are all new extras. I'm not expecting them necessarily to be in 4K, it's just to find out of there's a generic setting that I'm missing that can happily deal with the switch.

woodie999

Standard Member
You are watching SDR videos while your display (and/or player) is in HDR mode. Switch to SDR/Rec.709 mode or look for an Auto mode.
I think you may have nailed the issue. I just need to find a way to get around it that doesn't involve switching back and forth 👍🤷🤦

Jaxkesa

This is my favourite thing about 4k discs - watching an older film in 4k, then watching the extras and being gobsmacked about how the film actually originally looked. And how amazing the new 4k release actually is.

Same with old trailers. It's amazing what we used to put up with!

dante01

Distinguished Member
I think you may have nailed the issue. I just need to find a way to get around it that doesn't involve switching back and forth 👍🤷🤦

Configure your player and the TV to play the native video and don't set them up to force HDR or apply processing that creates HDR like effects.

This will then result in only content inclusive of native HDR being portrayed as HDR.

KBD

I never expect the bonus content to look or sound as great as the film itself, unless that bonus is an Director's Cut.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom