Question 4K disk vs streaming to lg-49SK8500PLA

luketraceyuk

Standard Member
Please be nice I know this sort of question has been answered but this is with some variables.

I have a lg-49SK8500PLA I wondered if there is a big difference in steaming vs 4k disc on this size and quality TV. Steaming from Netflix, Itunes, Amazon. I know its compressed when streaming but im thinking its more about the Type of TV and size if that makes sense?

I have budgeted for a 4k disc player (Sony UBP-X700) but if its not a massive difference id put thats moneys towards a better sound system.

Thanks for any-feedback

sagaris99

Please be nice I know this sort of question has been answered but this is with some variables.

I have a lg-49SK8500PLA I wondered if there is a big difference in steaming vs 4k disc on this size and quality TV. Steaming from Netflix, Itunes, Amazon. I know its compressed when streaming but im thinking its more about the Type of TV and size if that makes sense?

I have budgeted for a 4k disc player (Sony UBP-X700) but if its not a massive difference id put thats moneys towards a better sound system.

Thanks for any-feedback
There is a difference, but it’s so small that even on a top level oled, you’d be hard pushed to notice. As well as that, unless you budget £30ish a go to buy a blu Ray 4K HDR disk, it’s cheaper to stream it. Eg on release, infinity war in 4K HDR on br was £34.99... Apple TV 4K HDR, Vision and Atmos - £9.99.

luketraceyuk

Standard Member
There is a difference, but it’s so small that even on a top level oled, you’d be hard pushed to notice. As well as that, unless you budget £30ish a go to buy a blu Ray 4K HDR disk, it’s cheaper to stream it. Eg on release, infinity war in 4K HDR on br was £34.99... Apple TV 4K HDR, Vision and Atmos - £9.99.
Good to know, the disc price is not a big deal as I would only get films I really want on 4K HDR disk but it was more is it worth having that extra device, disks etc. Thanks

iangreasby

Suspended
I think the difference is more apparent when comparing broadcast 4k vs 4k discs. For example, I have "The Dark Knight" on bluray and noticed that it was on Sky Cinema in 4k. I took the opportunity to compare, switching between the two at certain scenes. There was hardly any difference but my HD bluray was ever so slightly sharper. I would therefore imagine that the 4k disc would easily beat the 4k broadcast/download.

sagaris99

I think the difference is more apparent when comparing broadcast 4k vs 4k discs. For example, I have "The Dark Knight" on bluray and noticed that it was on Sky Cinema in 4k. I took the opportunity to compare, switching between the two at certain scenes. There was hardly any difference but my HD bluray was ever so slightly sharper. I would therefore imagine that the 4k disc would easily beat the 4k broadcast/download.
Sky cinema 4K wouldn’t give an accurate idea as to what it could look like, as Sky don’t offer HDR. That would have made a major difference.

As I said earlier, yes, there could be a marginal difference. But that difference will be offset by the spec of your TV, ease of use, availability and cost. I’ve had my C8 for 6 months, and intended to buy a br player. Still haven’t, don’t see the need.

iangreasby

Suspended
Fair point @sagaris99. It will be interesting to compare when Sky (eventually) deliver on their promise to do HDR. I suppose it will then come down to how much compression is used by Netflix/Amazon/Apple streaming services vs Sky. I suspect Sky will overdo the compression as per usual, if they can get away with it!

iangreasby

Suspended
The other thing to factor in is that not all movies are available via the above providers, so sometimes buying the disc is the only option.

peahead

Hi

Spend that budget on an Apple 4K tv box there is not a massive night and day difference between it and 4K UHD Blu-ray, i own both and my Samsung k8500 UHD player is pretty much redundant now and gets very little use.

4K itunes vs 4K Blu-ray.

Last edited:

iangreasby

Suspended
I've not considered Apple TV before, but the more I think about it the more attractive an option it seems. I understand that the latest version of the box costs approx £180, but I am struggling to find how much the movies cost. I assume once bought you can watch the movies as many times as you like? I already subscribe to Amazon and Netflix, plus Sky Q, but from what I gather there is no monthly cost for Apple TV, just the option to pay to watch movies (which would be my main use for this). One thing that springs to mind, is Apple TV likely to become available as an App for my LG B8 TV in the future?

peahead

I've not considered Apple TV before, but the more I think about it the more attractive an option it seems. I understand that the latest version of the box costs approx £180, but I am struggling to find how much the movies cost. I assume once bought you can watch the movies as many times as you like? I already subscribe to Amazon and Netflix, plus Sky Q, but from what I gather there is no monthly cost for Apple TV, just the option to pay to watch movies (which would be my main use for this). One thing that springs to mind, is Apple TV likely to become available as an App for my LG B8 TV in the future?
Hi

Yes the latest box is around £180 and prices for new releases vary from £7.99 £9.99/£11.99/£13.99 it depends on the movie really but there are loads of movies from £5 /£7 and some even come up for £2.99 from time to time, i just keep checking the store on a daily bases and have saved loads of £££ by moving to the Apple 4K tv box.

Movies can be watched as many times as you like and there is no monthly subscription either and i use mine for Netflix and Amazon also.

If you want to check out prices for yourself just download the itunes windows app and then you can browse at your pleasure,

I know an APP will become available on samsung tv's this year but i have not heard anything about it coming to any other tv's.

iangreasby

Suspended
Hi

Yes the latest box is around £180 and prices for new releases vary from £7.99 £9.99/£11.99/£13.99 it depends on the movie really but there are loads of movies from £5 /£7 and some even come up for £2.99 from time to time, i just keep checking the store on a daily bases and have saved loads of £££ by moving to the Apple 4K tv box.

Movies can be watched as many times as you like and there is no monthly subscription either and i use mine for Netflix and Amazon also.

If you want to check out prices for yourself just download the itunes windows app and then you can browse at your pleasure,

I know an APP will become available on samsung tv's this year but i have not heard anything about it coming to any other tv's.
Thanks, I finally managed to download the itunes app to my PC (it took a while!) so I can now see the prices which do look very reasonable. Looks like it's the same price for 4K and ordinary HD! I watched the Vincent Teoh video which confirms no real difference in quality between 4K disc and 4K Apple stream, which is good news. If I can't decide to buy outright before watching, can I rent first and then buy with a deduction for the rental price already paid or would I have to pay rent price plus buy price? Actually, looking through the store again, most films seem to be buy only so it's probably not really an issue.

sagaris99

No, you were using it as a comparison using an arbitrary figure that no one would pay.
FGS, SMH, LOL etc.
Oh I do I apologise, excuse my brevity, for I was in the train. I’m sorry, that the price I saw in HMV on release day happened not to be the cheapest available, I really will try harder to shop around for a better deal next time.

You want a better example?
iTunes Store, 4K HDR, £13.99.
Bohemian Rhapsody, 4k... best price I can find is £24.99 online - can you do any better, my lord?
If you’re not happy about paying full rrp, there’s always torrenting...

Anyway, did you have anything of value add? I’m sorry about my age, forgot that people older than myself use the internet too:smashin:

Last edited:

iangreasby

Suspended
I am definitely in the Apple TV camp now and will be ordering the 64GB model later. I can't believe how much you can save and, unless I'm mistaken, you always get the 4K HDR/Dolby Vision (if released) for the same price as the ordinary HD version. Once you adjust your mindset to owning the film "in the cloud" instead of having the physical disc sitting on your shelf, it's a no-brainer. I have bought over 50 blurays in the last 12 months and, for the most part, have had to settle for the HD version instead of 4k due to the higher cost. I reckon I could have saved well over £150 by using Apple TV instead of discs and would now have a lot more HDR/Dolby Vision content to drool over! :) That £150 would cover most of the cost of the Apple TV box. A good example of the benefit is "First Man", £25 for Dolby Vision disc, £15 for HD bluray, only £12 on i-tunes!

bltn

+1 for Apple TV, there’s always great deals on films and box sets for as little 3.99 for 4K HDR films. As long as you have a reasonable internet connection it seems a no brainer, not to mention the other built in functionality.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom