4K discs playback issue only when disc is played for the first time

Serkanokar

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have this strange experience with 4K UHD discs: I have Sony UBP-X800 4K player and almost 8 out of 10 times, the brand new 4K disc has a minor playback issue (freeze/skip/choppy) when played the first time; but when I stop and play again, the issue resolves itself. At first, the issue appears to be with the disc itself: I rewind back to the scene where it happens, the issue repeats itself at that exact same scene but when I press stop, and re-start the disc and come back to that exact same scene, the issue is gone. This happens almost with every new 4K UHD disc. It feels almost as if the player is not fully initiated with that brand new 4K UHD the first time, and when played the second time, it plays fine. I wonder if anyone has the same experience with Sony or any other player they have.

I have the same player. It's a rock solid machine my go to kit.

That's an annoying fault. I would be looking at cabling and try another TV to see if you can replicate the problem.

I would say if you're getting the same problems that you can replicate 80% of the time then the player is at fault once you've tested it on another TV.

Do you have the latest firmware?

I have heard that 4K discs have a layer of some kind on them. Could be nonsense but maybe this is dissipating as the disc is played?

4K discs are not as easily readable as blu rays and dvds. I too have a Sony (UBP-X800) and i've put brand new 4K discs in straight out of the shrink rap and the player sometimes says "no disc".

I also find if I watch a disc without through sometimes it'll freeze or picture break up for a few seconds. But if I pause the film to get a drink or go toilet a couple of times the film will play fine.

Blu-rays always play fine mind its just 4ks with their little abnormalities.

Yeah i heard about there being on film on some disc from the manufacturing process.

Give the discs a careful wipe. Especially US discs. You may find a slight oily sheen on them - google it.

+1. Even if the disc looks pristine, give it a gentle clean and then give it a spin :)

100% USA discs need a wipe. I use a micro fibre cloth

Funny enough the last 4Ks I got were Scanner Cop 1&2 from the states and both of those played fine.

I have sony ubp- x500 and an Xbox, I’m at the stage of giving up on discs because most of them - easily 9/10 stick. I have play through via a receiver to projector. Tried direct to a tv but issue remains. I’ve tried cleaning but to no avail. 4k streaming is fine but I really would like to see films on disc rather than stream (better video and more discs have atmos) really don’t know where to go from here!

I get the same issue on my Sony UBP-X800M2 multi region.

Didn't think of wiping the Discs before playing but i will now.

I think it’s time for a new player. It definitely sounds like an issue with the player rather than anything else.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom