• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question 4K Disc incompatible, will not play

Special K 2

Novice Member
I have a new Panasonic DB-UB420 UHD player.

I rented 2 film to watch, one was Blu Ray, the other was 4k UHD.
The Blue Ray plays fine, however trying to play the 4k UHD I get a error saying
Disc is incompatible.

I have updated the firmware and searched the web for an answer and I can't find an answer
Would you ppl have any idea what it is, is it a Disc or player problem?

Cheers

Chris

two2midnight

Distinguished Member

Disc is incompatible.

I have updated the firmware and searched the web for an answer and I can't find an answer

Cheers

Chris
Possibly TV, cable, passthrough issue, or HDCP/HDMI version problem.
What is the disc?
What is your TV?
How is player connected to TV? Direct or through a soundbar/AVR?

Special K 2

Novice Member
Possibly TV, cable, passthrough issue, or HDCP/HDMI version problem.
What is the disc?
What is your TV?
How is player connected to TV? Direct or through a soundbar/AVR?

Hi

The TV is a Samsung 8QF and the Disc is Deadpool 2

The Player is connected direct to the one connect box.
ARC cable from Once connect to Soundbar

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
How old is the HDMI cable you are using?
Do you have UHD colour turned on for the HDMI port you are connected to on the Samsung?

Check that you have the HDMI cable connected to the main HDMI port of the UB420, not the audio one. This port can also pass video but not 4K as it is only a HDMI V1.4 port vs HDMI V2 of the main port. It would play blu-ray though through it so might appear OK in use until you try a 4K disc.

Deadpool 2 UHD plays fine on my Panasonic players so it's probably not a disc/player issue unless the player settings are very wrong. Usually the initial auto setup though gets everything right.

Last edited:

Special K 2

Novice Member
Hi

Thanks for helping.

The cables are new, tried 3 now, they all claim to be 4k UHD.
I have all cables connected to the correct ports and I have it turned on to UHD at the TV end.
It does read the disk but it then it comes up the compatibility issue.

I take it if it played the blu ray disc as I said but not the 4K then it's not a player problem?

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Well, that is all the usual suspects eliminated so I'm a bit stumped.
You could try a factory reset of the UB420 and see if that does anything. Also try using a different HDMI port on the TV. While all of your TV ports are listed as HDCP 2.2/HDMI 2 it might be one of the ports is a bit iffy.

Unfortunately with just one UHD available it's hard to see if it is the disc or the player. If you had the same problem with more than one UHD disc it could point to the player.

All I can suggest is that you list here the HDMI setting you have on the player to see if anything stands out as being a possible cause of the problem.

As the disc is a rental have you tried cleaning it? Although any problem with it would more likely be it skipping/freezing than the player showing this disc incompatabilty message.

Long shot: have you got BD Live turned on?

My Blu Ray player won't play a new Blu-ray disc.
The most common reason for discs not loading is that the firmware needs updating for the new features on the disc.

Also if the disc is BD-Live compatible you will need to ensure that an SD card 1GB or larger is inserted in the unit before loading the disc. If no card is inserted the disc may not load correctly.

My Deadpool UHD as I said plays OK, I don't have an SD card in my player but I do have BD Live: OFF (although I don't know if UHDs use BD Live anyway)

Another Long shot: turn off HDR in the player before loading the disc and see if it will then get to the disc menu. Or set the player up to HDR-->SDR BT.709 or HDR-->SDR BT.2020 and again see if it will load to the menu. Or set the HDMI resolution on the UB420 as 1080p rather than 4K or Auto. If any of these work it would point to a possible 4K HDMI handshake issue.

Last edited:

Special K 2

Novice Member
Hi

Thanks for taking time help us.

I tried of what you said and nothing.

Then... it started playing, it got to the stage of playing the info bar, it said HDR 4K etc, then teh 20 century Fox logo etc then it carried on reading then...nothing, back to the initial screen as before, no warning messages.

I thinking there may be an issue with the player.
Will try and get hold of a 4k disc and try that, if still nothing I wil go back to the shop with the player.

atmoscinema

Rented disc, mmm.

Is the disc damaged in any way?

stevew117

Hi

Thanks for taking time help us.

I tried of what you said and nothing.

Then... it started playing, it got to the stage of playing the info bar, it said HDR 4K etc, then teh 20 century Fox logo etc then it carried on reading then...nothing, back to the initial screen as before, no warning messages.

I thinking there may be an issue with the player.
Will try and get hold of a 4k disc and try that, if still nothing I wil go back to the shop with the player.

Did you ever resolve this? I am getting the issue on a couple of my 4K discs - but whenever it happens I just try again (reboot the player or eject/reload the disc) then they always work fine and play perfectly!

Can't work out of this is a software/firmware/hardware/disc issue or what, but it's an (occasional) nuisance....

Please let me know how you resolved it in the end. :)

rushy7

hi,Ive also had a problem with the ub420 on 4k Transformers revaenge of the fallen forest scene the player skips and stutters for about 5 minutes ,disc is new and spotless

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
The 4K disc isn't for region A, by any chance? In the UK, BR players will only discs marked ALL or B. If the disc was a region A or C, it won't play. Unhelpfully, a lot of discs aren't marked with the region details. Films released by Universal are a case in point.

Looking at the thread though, it looks like there's problem with the player, especially if discs start playing after refusing to do so. I would get the player checked/swapped-out.

Clem

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
The 4K disc isn't for region A, by any chance? In the UK, BR players will only discs marked ALL or B. If the disc was a region A or C, it won't play. Unhelpfully, a lot of discs aren't marked with the region details. Films released by Universal are a case in point.

Looking at the thread though, it looks like there's problem with the player, especially if discs start playing after refusing to do so. I would get the player checked/swapped-out.

Clem
4K UHDs don't have regions i.e. they are region free or all regions equivalent.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Really? Why is Amazon US offering the 4K version of Terminator2 with a clear indicator that it is region A — see Amazon.com: Terminator 2: Judgement Day 4K Ultra Hd [Blu-ray]: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton, Robert Patrick, Edward Furlong, James Cameron: Movies & TV ? Not that it looks worth buying, but that’s besides the point. My 4K copy of The Hitman’s Bodyguard is marked region B, not A/B/C or ALL. I stand to be corrected, but I see no reason why companies would region lock normal BRs but not 4K versions.

Clem

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Really? Why is Amazon US offering the 4K version of Terminator2 with a clear indicator that it is region A — see Amazon.com: Terminator 2: Judgement Day 4K Ultra Hd [Blu-ray]: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton, Robert Patrick, Edward Furlong, James Cameron: Movies & TV ? Not that it looks worth buying, but that’s besides the point. My 4K copy of The Hitman’s Bodyguard is marked region B, not A/B/C or ALL. I stand to be corrected, but I see no reason why companies would region lock normal BRs but not 4K versions.

Clem
Yes really.
Ultra HD Blu-ray Discs, on the other hand, are region-free and can be played back using a player that supports Ultra HD Blu-ray, regardless of the region where they were purchased.
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00029369
and
Unlike conventional DVDs and Blu-rays, the new 4K format does not have region coding
Ultra HD Blu-ray - Wikipedia

I've got that USA Terminator 2 UHD. It is not region A, just like all the other USA UHDs I've got aren't. The accompanying blu-ray will be region A as Lionsgate region lock their blu-rays. So while a UHD will be region free, the blu-ray also in the box can be, and often is, region locked. That will be the situation for the blu-ray in your Hitman's Bodyguard case (also Lionsgate).

Last edited:

Tantalus1701

Novice Member

Disc is incompatible.

Cheers

Chris
Hi.
I just noticed this post and as I've had a very similar issue with a Sony UBP-X800 I wondered if you'd resolved it? I had zero trouble playing blu rays but the unit refused to even read a 4k disc and I tried a few. I've just sent it back for a refund.

Stiff Dog TD

12 month bump..

I have had faultless playback from my Panasonic UB-400 for the last 3 years with all discs.

Then Lord Of The Rings UHD disc 1 Gandalf/Balrog scene on the bridge, major picture/sound disturbance.

Back to the future UHD end of disc 1 same issue, UHD disc 2 right from the start loss of sound and major picture disturbance.

Usual suspects of HDMI cable checked but as said everything has been ok up until now.
Do these discs have an overload of data that the player cannot handle, firmware is up to date.
Is it just time to change my player as the 400 was a basic machine at the time.

Any thoughts most welcome.

Dave.

Update.

I could not let this rest, having a faulting and maintenance backgound I worked through the whole system chain until I found a large finger print/smudge on the disc at fault, cleaned it and bingo.

A future lesson for myself, clean the disc before use.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom