Question 4K Blu-Ray Player vs X Box One S

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dead5tar, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Dead5tar

Dead5tar

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +18
      Given that there have been updates to the Xbox re audio formats etc, are they still considered a poor substitute for a 4K Blu-Ray Player, a DP-UB450 for instance?

2. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,447
      There used to be issues in the past with the colours but I recall reading that this was fixed.

I went for the Panasonic UB420 a few months ago. It ticked a few boxes vs. the Xbox that to me made it a worth while purchase.

Disc reading is far quieter.

HDR Optimiser highly appealing over any other player.

HDR10+ support unlike the Xbox (my TV does HDR10+ not DV)

Cheap refurb (£79.99) from Panasonic Outlet ebay with 1-yr warranty. Additional perk of not needing to toggle game mode off/on for the Xbox any more.

3. Dead5tar

Dead5tar

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +18
      Quiet disc reading is an important one for me... our PS3(i know.. it's old :blush:) is almost audible over the vacuum cleaner:D

4. aenimiac

aenimiac

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +33
      I don't believe the Xbox One supports Dolby Vision on discs so if that's important to you then you'll have to get a standalone player.

5. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,314
      The XBox is considerably noisier than a standalone UHD disc player and will generate more heat than a dedicated player. The XBox is also limited to just one HDMI output which makes it less flexible when it comes to using one in conjunction with oder AV receivers. Having 2 outputs facilitates conveying UHD HDCP 2.2 protected video directly to a compliant dilay while simultaneously conveying HD audio to an older non compliant AV receiver via the second HDMI output. Most standalone UHD disc players come equipped with 2 HDMI outputs.

6. Doctor Smith

Doctor Smith

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +291
      I have had both. I compared a Panasonic ub700 with the xbox one s and the xbox displayed banding in certain scenes where the panny didn't. Also the noise of the xbox was very distracting if you are viewing a dialogue heavy movie.

7. L4_Isoside

L4_Isoside

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +83
      I have an Xbox One S and a Sony ubx700 and from audio and picture perspective I couldnt tell a difference.

I wanted a standalone player that did Netflix and films and then a games console. However, because Netflix can't do Atmos (which I only found out after I purchased it) on the Sony I now use it as a disc player only.

I don't like how the Xbox wraps up everything under Atmos even if the content is not Atmos (doesn't apply to disc's though).

If i had to choose one (as i did originally) id choose the Xbox as its more multi functional.

8. Dead5tar

Dead5tar

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +18
      Thanks for the replies chaps... helped me make my mind up .... I've gone for the DP-UB450:thumbsup: