4k blu ray player to tv and receiver set up problem

Drdense

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here so apologies if this has already been covered.

I recently upgraded my TV to a new Philips 65oled+936. I have a slightly older (cheaper) 4k compatible pioneer vsx-933 surround sound system and my 4k player is a Panasonic DP-UB450.

The issue I have is that I was wanting to put the video from the player directly to the TV and the audio to the receiver via HDMI (the player has duel hdmi output for this) but its causing all sorts of issue.

For example the TV automatically switches to the receiver not the blu ray player, the sound also does this. If I manually switch the sound there is a few seconds delay. When I switch the video the audio again switches to the tvs ARC to the receiver and not the direct channel. Another thing is none of the CEC controls work so i need to use all 3 remote controls to get the film playing. (Also if I pause a film it completely screws up all the settings and I miss about 10 seconds of the film while setting everything back)

The reason I have the ARC channel connected from the TV to the receiver is because I have a ps5 connected to the TV.

Is there anyway of getting this to work or am I going to have to go back to the 4k player plugging directly into the receiver and passing through to the TV.

Apologies if the issue isn't clear, I was trying to keep this relatively short... (I think I failed anyway...)

Hi, I'm new here so apologies if this has already been covered.

I recently upgraded my TV to a new Philips 65oled+936. I have a slightly older (cheaper) 4k compatible pioneer vsx-933 surround sound system and my 4k player is a Panasonic DP-UB450.

The issue I have is that I was wanting to put the video from the player directly to the TV and the audio to the receiver via HDMI (the player has duel hdmi output for this) but its causing all sorts of issue.

For example the TV automatically switches to the receiver not the blu ray player, the sound also does this. If I manually switch the sound there is a few seconds delay. When I switch the video the audio again switches to the tvs ARC to the receiver and not the direct channel. Another thing is none of the CEC controls work so i need to use all 3 remote controls to get the film playing. (Also if I pause a film it completely screws up all the settings and I miss about 10 seconds of the film while setting everything back)

The reason I have the ARC channel connected from the TV to the receiver is because I have a ps5 connected to the TV.

Is there anyway of getting this to work or am I going to have to go back to the 4k player plugging directly into the receiver and passing through to the TV.

Apologies if the issue isn't clear, I was trying to keep this relatively short... (I think I failed anyway...)
I had the same problem when I tried dual HDMI out from my Panasonic UHD players. I had to compromise and either disable CEC (Viera link) on the player, or use just a single HDMI out through my AVR, but that meant no HDR10+.

If your TV and AVR support eARC then you could pass the audio through the TV as you do with your PS5.

With my old Onkyo AVR I could get it to stick on the right TV input and still have the audio on the AVR from the HDMI audio out on the player (with some fiddling each time). But with my NAD AVR it always switches the TV input back to its own channel, or the audio to ARC from the TV.

I had the same problem when I tried dual HDMI out from my Panasonic UHD players. I had to compromise and either disable CEC (Viera link) on the player, or use just a single HDMI out through my AVR, but that meant no HDR10+.

If your TV and AVR support eARC then you could pass the audio through the TV as you do with your PS5.

With my old Onkyo AVR I could get it to stick on the right TV input and still have the audio on the AVR from the HDMI audio out on the player (with some fiddling each time). But with my NAD AVR it always switches the TV input back to its own channel, or the audio to ARC from the TV.
The TV has eARC but unfortunately the receiver is just standard ARC so would lose out on lossless atmos. I can still get dolby vision and HDR10+ through the receiver so am wondering if there is any benefit from having the video sent directly to the TV, or would the picture be exactly the same if passed through the receiver.

The TV has eARC but unfortunately the receiver is just standard ARC so would lose out on lossless atmos. I can still get dolby vision and HDR10+ through the receiver so am wondering if there is any benefit from having the video sent directly to the TV, or would the picture be exactly the same if passed through the receiver.
It should be the same, except the receiver may add a delay/latency to the video. Since there's no real time user input like a game then the delay only matters if the lip sync gets thrown off. But it's probably more likely to get out of sync if you use the dual HDMI approach anyway.

From a quick Google, I don't think your AVR supports HDR10+ passthrough, but I could be wrong, and there's not that many HDR10+ disks anyway. Most are HDR10 or Dolby Vision.

CEC control will probably work better with the single HDMI connection too. It's been a while since I've used my UB450 so I can't remember if it worked. But with my UB9000 I use just the TV remote 90% of the time and it controls the player just fine.

Sounds like your Pioneer vsx-933 is sending CEC switch source commands to the TV despite not having any video to display. You could check if there is any updated firmware that might have dealt with this issue, but I suspect you're going to have to disable CEC switching (your TV might have such an option).

Simply connect the player directly to the AV receiver. You'll not experience any video degradation of the video and the digital signal is simply passed through the AV receiver and out to your display.

Your AVR supports Dolby Vision and HDR10 and this is all you really need. It cannot however handle HDR10+, but I'd not worry about that because you'd be hard pushed to find much encoded with this anyway. Even if you do get a disc that is encoded with HDR10+, you'd still get static HDR10 relative to it if using your AV receiver.

Sounds like your Pioneer vsx-933 is sending CEC switch source commands to the TV despite not having any video to display. You could check if there is any updated firmware that might have dealt with this issue, but I suspect you're going to have to disable CEC switching (your TV might have such an option).
I have gone in to the pioneer and turned off CEC there, this has fixed alot of the issues with the blurry player (input channel no longer keeps switching, TV remote works with it, no big delay in sound turning on etc)
However the new (and very big issue) is there is no option to turn ARC back on (it greys out when CEC is turned off.

If I were to put the TV into 1 of the standard HDMI inputs of the pioneer would this fix that issue or does it need to be via ARC?

I have gone in to the pioneer and turned off CEC there, this has fixed alot of the issues with the blurry player (input channel no longer keeps switching, TV remote works with it, no big delay in sound turning on etc)
However the new (and very big issue) is there is no option to turn ARC back on (it greys out when CEC is turned off.

If I were to put the TV into 1 of the standard HDMI inputs of the pioneer would this fix that issue or does it need to be via ARC?
To answer my own question, it would appear that the TV has to be connected to the ARC input on the receiver, there are no options to output sound via HDMI that I can see.

So the best I can get is either all my initial problems with the TV sound working or fix the majority of the problems by turning CEC off on the receiver side but then there's no TV sound through the receiver...
Any further ideas?

In regards to HDR10+ I was mistaken, it will not pass through and instead only displays as standard HDR10, this is intact 1 of the reasons for wanting to use the dual outputs on the player as I do intact have a number of discs in this format, Bohemian Rhapsody for example has HDR10+.

In regards to HDR10+ I was mistaken, it will not pass through and instead only displays as standard HDR10, this is intact 1 of the reasons for wanting to use the dual outputs on the player as I do intact have a number of discs in this format, Bohemian Rhapsody for example has HDR10+.
That was my reason for wanting to use the dual output too.

Have you tried disabling CEC on the UB450, leaving it enabled on your Pioneer and then changing the input on your Pioneer once the movie starts?

That's how I had it working on my Onkyo, and they're probably similar firmware.

It was fiddly and frustrating, but it was working for 6 months or so for me with the UB450 and Onkyo combination.

I think I also tried changing the audio mode of my HDMI 1 input on my TV to 'analogue' so it didn't recognise the blank signal being sent with the video. Unfortunately HDMI has to have both audio and video to work, so even if the player switches to 'video only' on the video output, there has to be a blank audio signal too.

That was my reason for wanting to use the dual output too.

Have you tried disabling CEC on the UB450, leaving it enabled on your Pioneer and then changing the input on your Pioneer once the movie starts?

That's how I had it working on my Onkyo, and they're probably similar firmware.

It was fiddly and frustrating, but it was working for 6 months or so for me with the UB450 and Onkyo combination.

I think I also tried changing the audio mode of my HDMI 1 input on my TV to 'analogue' so it didn't recognise the blank signal being sent with the video. Unfortunately HDMI has to have both audio and video to work, so even if the player switches to 'video only' on the video output, there has to be a blank audio signal too.
That's what I've just done now (turning of CEC on the UB450, it's not ideal but at least now I can pause and unpause normally without all the audio and video switching issues.

It will have to do, unless anyone else knows of any possible way of getting them to work correctly?

ARC is dependant upon HDMI CEC for its functionality. If you yturn off HDMI Control then you cannot use ARC. eARC is not depenfant up[on HDMI CEC, but your AV receiver isn't eARC enabled.

Only one input on your TV is ARC enabled. THe AV receiver has to be connected to that one input is wishing to use ARC.

ARC connot convey audio to another device via that device's conventional HDMI inputs and it only works if both the ARC output on the AV receiver and the ARC enabled input on the TV are used.

The only way you'd be able to source audio via the TV's ARC HDMI port (or inded eARC) and then send it via conventional HDMI is to use a converter connected to the ARC/eARC input on the TV. The converter converts the ARC signal and makes it possible to convey the audio from the converter to one of the AV receiver's conventional HDMI inputs. If insistent that you want to connect the player directly to a TV and pass the audio through then maybe this would be something to consider? It would allow you to actually access HD formatted audio, multichannel PCM and object orientated formats via the TV's eARC enabled HDMI input. This is one such converter:

Amazon product ASIN B08TX473Z8

by default 2022-03-28 at 16.07.29.png

AS I've already suggested, the best option is to connect the player directly to the AV receiver and there's no real reason to or benefit gained by connecting it to the TV.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom