Question 4K Blu Ray player needed, advice on which one?

Waynester

Evening 😊

I got a credit of £250 onto my Argos card from their head office as an apology, bought a bloody hoover off em and had issues with rude staff, I’ve since bought a new one, so I’ve a nice £250 to spend but can ONLY spend in Argos obviously... any 4K Blu Ray Players worth a buy off their site?
Picture and Audio most important obviously 😊

my current setup is this

LIVING ROOM SETUP

Panasonic TX-55CX802 Television
Amazon Fire TV Cube
Apple TV Box
Denon AVR-X2200W
Van Damme Hi Fi Speaker Cables
Monitor Audio Bronze 500 Floorstanders
(For Main front speakers)
Monitor Audio Bronze C150 Centre Speaker
Monitor Audio Bronze 50’s on stands
(For rear surrounds)
BK XXLS400 FF Subwoofer
Marantz CD63 MkII KI Signature CD Player
Pioneer BDP-180 Blu Ray Player
Sony PS4 Pro Games Console

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
Evening 😊

I got a credit of £250 onto my Argos card from their head office as an apology, bought a bloody hoover off em and had issues with rude staff, I’ve since bought a new one, so I’ve a nice £250 to spend but can ONLY spend in Argos obviously... any 4K Blu Ray Players worth a buy off their site?
Picture and Audio most important obviously 😊

my current setup is this

LIVING ROOM SETUP

Panasonic TX-55CX802 Television
Amazon Fire TV Cube
Apple TV Box
Denon AVR-X2200W
Van Damme Hi Fi Speaker Cables
Monitor Audio Bronze 500 Floorstanders
(For Main front speakers)
Monitor Audio Bronze C150 Centre Speaker
Monitor Audio Bronze 50’s on stands
(For rear surrounds)
BK XXLS400 FF Subwoofer
Marantz CD63 MkII KI Signature CD Player
Pioneer BDP-180 Blu Ray Player
Sony PS4 Pro Games Console
Unfortunately their selection is limited, best one there is the Sony X700 at £199.
As your TV can't do either Dolby Vsion or HDR10+ support for them isn't a necessity. Alternative would be the Panasonic UB150 at £149. Best stay away from the two LG players.

Waynester

Unfortunately their selection is limited, best one there is the Sony X700 at £199.
As your TV can't do either Dolby Vsion or HDR10+ support for them isn't a necessity. Alternative would be the Panasonic UB150 at £149. Best stay away from the two LG players.

My TV can do Dolby vision and HDR I’m sure of it 😳

Waynester

My bedroom setup is this, maybe I’ll shift the bedroom telly into living room🤣

BEDROOM SETUP

Sony KD-55XF9005 Television
Yamaha YAS-103 Soundbar
Panasonic DMP-BDT380EB Blu Ray Player
Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K

Here’s both my TV’s compared here

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
If it does nobody is mentioning it including Panasonic. However the X700 has Dolby Vision just in case it was an added later feature. The UB150 doesn't have DV but has HDR10+ (which again nobody is saying your TV has).

Waynester

I stand corrected... my Panasonic cannot do Dolby Vision or HDR10, will this matter if I get the X700? don’t want any weird colours happening or picture issues

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
I stand corrected... my Panasonic cannot do Dolby Vision or HDR10, will this matter if I get the X700? don’t want any weird colours happening or picture issues
No, just leave Dolby Vision turned off in the settings (the default if I rember correctly). Wouldn't make any difference if it was on though as the player asks the TV what it can playback and as the TV isn't going to say Dolby Vision it will always play stuff in plain old HDR10.

silent ninja

You should think twice about getting a 4k Blu-ray player. IMO the best picture benefit is HDR/Dolby Vision. The resolution bump is not that noticeable compared to a good HD Blu-ray or stream...subject to your viewing distance of course. If you do notice the resolution bump, it's not going to blow your socks off. HDR is a bigger progession in TV tech than the move from HD to 4K, and it will blow your socks off on a good TV.

In your position I would get a 4k player when I upgrade my TV. Buy something else from Argos - or save the vouchers for next year.

Waynester

My living room TV has HDR but not DV
I cannot afford to buy a new TV

gibbsy

My living room TV has HDR but not DV
I cannot afford to buy a new TV
HDR does make a difference, more so than 1080 to 4K on most TVs. My TV has HDR but not DV. What you don't have you don't miss.

Waynester

HDR does make a difference, more so than 1080 to 4K on most TVs. My TV has HDR but not DV. What you don't have you don't miss.

I was toying with bringing my Sony bedroom TV into the living room (it has HDR10 and DV) and swapping them round with the Panny, but to be honest I’m still happy with the picture on the Panny anyway 😊

Attachments

• 92BBD91D-8B3B-4B5F-AA7D-849A555044FD.jpeg
    92BBD91D-8B3B-4B5F-AA7D-849A555044FD.jpeg
    314.6 KB · Views: 16

gibbsy

I have a Panny FZ OLED and the HDR image from 4K discs is outstanding. HDR from both Netfllix and Prime is again very good. I'll not bother changing the TV for another three years when the five year warranty runs out. More likely than not it will be another Panny.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom