Question 4K Blu-ray Player Dual HDMI output Audio Question

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Lea1974, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Lea1974

Lea1974
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I just purchased a 4K TV, Panasonic TX-55CX802B.
    I have an older amp, Onkyo TX-SR605, which is non HDCP2.2 compliant.

I am thinking of buying the Panasonic DMP-UB900 (or hang-on for the UB700) which has dual HDMI outputs.
    My question is, while I connect the main HDMI output directly to the TV for the 4K picture, will the secondary "Audio Only" HDMI output on the player send the Hi-res audio to my existing Onkyo amp?
    Will I still be able to receive Dolby True HD and the HD Master Audio options?

A friend claims that I will only be able to receive the standard Dolby Digital and DTS options (same as Optical connection) due to handshake issues.
    Is this correct?

Thank you for your help.

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,274
    Your friend is wrong.
    The whole point of the second audio only output is to connect to older receivers.

You will get Dolby tru hd and DTS MA audio , and any other audio format that the 605 is compatible with.

3. Lea1974

Lea1974
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you.
    As I presumed. I did think it was a bit odd otherwise.

Although my friend is persistent that it will not work. He said he attempted the above set-up to his system and only got standard DD and DTS like on DVD discs. He ended up purchasing a new amplifier.

I would rather not have to purchase a new amp as I am quite happy with the Onkyo TX-SR605 for now.
    Instead of a new amp I would rather invest in a 4K blu-ray player to go with my new 4K TV.
    So, providing the second "Audio Only" HDMI output works with my Onkyo amp, I will be happy :smashin:

Thanks again for your reply.

4. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,274
    Second , audio only output direct to 605 via HDMI cable , should be no problems.
    I wouldnt be able to tell you what your friend was doing wrong without knowing his setup , no doubt some connection method or setting was incorrect.

5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,050
    Perhaps the problem was down to using a single hdmi output and a splitter to create the second output rather than two independent ports.

6. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,240
    Is your friend a betting man? Bet him £100 that's he's wrong, & you can put your winnings towards the new 4K UHD BD player :D

7. Lea1974

Lea1974
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My friend said when he used the HDMI "Audio Only" output from his 4K player to his Sony Hi-res amp he only received standard DTS and Dolby when playing Ultra HD discs???

8. Lea1974

Lea1974
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been looking at the online manual for the Panasonic DMP-UB900
    http://tda.panasonic-europe-service...sn3/data/ALL/DMPUB900EB/OI/945389/sqt1293.pdf

On page 11 it states...
    Connecting to an amplifer/receiver
    Enjoying video with a 4K-compatible TV and audio with an amplifier

You can receive richer sound by using the HDMI AUDIO OUT terminal.
    (Audio is output in high resolution)

Then a little further down it states...
    The HDMI AUDIO OUT terminal is not compatible with 4K output and the VIERA Link.

9. Lea1974

Lea1974
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So maybe my friend was trying to tell me that the "HDMI AUDIO Only" output will not work for ULTRA HD discs only standard blu-ray and DVD audio formats to an older amp.

10. greeng4309

greeng4309

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm using the UB900 with my pioneer lx56.

HDMI 1 direct to my Samsung 55KS8000 and HDMI 2 into my pioneer.. Full HD decoding. Sounds fantastic as well.

11. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,240
    No, you're misinterpreting what the manual says.
    The manual means exactly what it says, you can't use the HDMI Audio out terminal to send a 4K output (ie you can't send the 4K picture to your TV from the HDMI audio out terminal).
    The audio is not a 4K output. You can use the HDMI Audio out to send audio (ie the TrueHD/DTS-MA/DD/DTS etc).

12. n3vino

n3vino
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How would this work? I have Direct tV going to AVR SAT HDMI, and blue ray player going to AVR DVD HDMI and from AVR out to TV's HDMI 1. I want to connect new Sony 4k video HDMI to TV HDMI 2, and take the cable that is going from the blue ray player to AVR DVD HDMI, and connect it to the Audio out HDMI on the 4K player eliminating the 1o80P blue ray player.

What I will have then will be 4K audio going to AVR DVD HDMI and AVR out still going to HDMI 1 on the TV although there won't be any video going to TV HDMI 1, and 4K video to TV HDMI 2. Will TV's HDMI 1 conflict with the HDMI 2 on TV. or will that work o.k. giving me full Audio on AVR and 4K Video on TV? Or will I have to eliminate the AVR HDMI out to TV and connect SAT to HDMI 1 and use Digital cable to tv which is what I use when I stream NETflix using TV's apps?

I have a Denon S900W AVR which has 4K pass through but won't handle HDR and Sony 4K tv with HDR. I hope I made sense. Please advise. Thanks.

13. mystikal09

mystikal09

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi got a LG B7 but when i wanna use it with lg 4k player, which as dual HDMI outputs i use audio output to the Denon av amp. but i dont see DTS true HD how do i get higher sounds on my amp.