Question 4K AVR to HDfury Arcana to Sonos Arc - Viable?

coliander

Standard Member
Reaction score
So I'm currently the owner of a Samsung Q9FN Television and a Sonos Arc. I'd really like to be able to pass through LPCM 5.1 from my external sources (PS5/Xbox/Shield) to the Arc, but unfortunately the Q9FN only supports Stereo PCM passthrough and Bitstream alternatives are less than idea for gaming.

1. If I was to buy a relatively cheap 4K Atmos-capable AVR and an HDfury Arcana, would I be able to use the AVR as a glorified HDMI switch, then run the Arcana from the HDMI Out to send the audio to the Arc and the Video to my Q9FN?

2. Would I be able to leverage the ARC input on my Television to route the Television audio back to the AVR and out to the Arcana/Sonos Arc, too?

I'm relatively sure the answer to [1.] is 'Yes'. I'm aware that a basic HDMI switch would do essentially the same job, but I want something a little more reliable that I can easier integrate into my Logitech Harmony setup.
The deal breaker is essentially [2.] if I was also able to use the AVR to leverage the TV's ARC and route the audio from the Television/Native TV apps through the AVR, Arcana and Sonos Arc, then I've essentially 'upgraded' my TV to eARC capability (sort of!)

Here's a diagram to better illustrate what I'm hoping to achieve.
AVRSetup.png

Any advice?

Connectivity - the Arcana ‘getting started’ page on HDFury shows you how to integrate a Switch.

HDMI Switch - an AVR is a power hungry option when all you require is source selection.

HDFury Vertex2 - we have a few folk partnering the Vertex2 with the Arcana and full integration with a control system is achievable.

Joe

Thanks, Joe. I was literally just researching my options on HDFury's website and came across this solution! So essentially, a Vertex² paired with an Arcana would achieve what I'm looking for without the need for an AVR?

Yes and gives you more options in terms of the Vertex2 capabilities - as above we shipped our first Arcana stock earlier this week and a few were paired with the Vertex2.

Joe

I’m looking at a similar set up. For me it’ll be V6 Box, Apple TV and PS4. What I want to know is how do I swap devices over? Currently all my HDMI cables are in my TV, but I get lip sync on external devices when playing Dolby 2.0 and 5.1. Though to swap source I do this on my TV remote. Would I still do it this way or not?

The Vertex2 can be controlled via IR - though it assumes you have a learning remote which can learn the Vertex2 IR codes.

You can also control it from a web browser if you connect the Vertex2 to your network.

Last resort are the buttons on the side of the unit :)

Joe

Hi Joe, thank you so much for the reply. Sorry to ask what might seem to be a silly question, but could I use my Philips 805 remote control to do this or not? Can the original Vertex do this as well? I am happy just using two inputs for my Apple TV and Virgin V6 Box.

I don’t think the TV remote is programmable which would mean adding some form of programmable IR to RS232 device to the Vertex2, use the App. or change to a Harmony or similar programmable remote.

Joe

I don’t think the TV remote is programmable which would mean adding some form of programmable IR to RS232 device to the Vertex2, use the App. or change to a Harmony or similar programmable remote.

Joe

Thank you for clearing this up for me.

Just want to give kudos to Joe for getting an HDfury Vertex² from his business to my doorstep in under 36 hours! Often no small feat when you're located in the Scottish Highlands (particularly during the current circumstances)! Much appreciated! 😄

Just want to give kudos to Joe for getting an HDfury Vertex² from his business to my doorstep in under 36 hours! Often no small feat when you're located in the Scottish Highlands (particularly during the current circumstances)! Much appreciated! 😄

I’ve given up on the Philips Fidelio B95/97 coming out this side of Christmas and therefore have taken the plunge & ordered the Arcana from Joe for my Sonos Arc. I can’t wait to get it now.

Morning, Joe. There's currently a 5 metre Amazon Basics braided HDMI cable between my One Connect box and my Sonos Arc. This is performing the job admirably with Stereo PCM/Bitstream, but I'm curious if it will be up to the job once the Arcana gets added to the mix and I begin sending mutli-channel PCM/Atmos through to the Arc.

The plan currently, is to use the existing 5M Amazon cable between the Vertex² and the Arcana, then a short (15/30cm, or so) cable between the Arcana and the Sonos Arc.

1. Should I expect to run into any issues with this setup in regards to bandwidth/signal loss?

2. If I do run into issues and need to switch my 5M Amazon cable for something a little more efficient/substantial, would a unidirectional fibre HDMI cable be suitable between the Vertex² and the Arcana?

Many thanks.

Hi coliander

Tricky to predict exactly how your system will work using the 5m cable.

I have systems where I can get up to 8m copper cables working just fine for all signals and others where I have had to use RuiPro4K Hybrid Fibre at 5m.

We have Premium High Speed certified copper cables at 5m which are an option too if the current cable is an issue.

Joe

Hi Joe, the arcana has arrived and it has fixed the lip sync issues when watching TV via my V6 Box. However, every time try and watch BT Ultimate the picture is just a black screen. I’ve never had these issues before. I have a Philips 805 if that is any help.

Not an issue I am aware of - drop me an email and we can get a copy of your config to HDFury support who will investigate.

Joe

Cheers Joe. I will email you tomorrow now. After having a play I have now done it, but I would like to check I have set them to the best settings. Enjoy the rest of your evening.

Dealing with a bunch of burst pipes in the morning (it was -14 here on FrIday) so afternoon is best for a call :)

Joe

Dealing with a bunch of burst pipes in the morning (it was -14 here on FrIday) so afternoon is best for a call :)

Joe
Bringing this thread back to life as I have had a fairly bad experience today with my new Sonos Arc attempting exactly the setup illustrated in this thread except I wouldn't have the AVR to TV connection shown on input 1).

Namely,
XBOX/PS5/etc --> Denon AVR-S920W (outputting from the ARC port) --> HDFury Arcana --> Sonos Arc (and Arcana --> LG OLED B6). All using HDMI 2.1 cable. No audio at all. All HDR 60fps passes through fine.

Things work when I remove the AVR from the equation, but the whole point was that I could use my existing AVR as a glorified "splitter" without having to buy something like the HDFury Vertex2, which is a bit light on inputs for me anyway. Am I out of luck?

Not a configuration I have tried/heard of anyone else trying and to confirm you are connecting the AVR HDMI Output to the Arcana HDMI Input - I would also disable CEC/ARC on the Denon as that is likely going to cause issues.

Joe

Not a configuration I have tried/heard of anyone else trying and to confirm you are connecting the AVR HDMI Output to the Arcana HDMI Input - I would also disable CEC/ARC on the Denon as that is likely going to cause issues.

Joe
Confirmed, that was the idea. It doesn't appear that the Demon passes along audio as I had thought (only HDR video). So as I see it I have two options, does this sound right?
1. A switch like the Vertex2, which effectively renders the Denon AVR a large paperweight.
2. Wait until near end of the year when I was planning to get an LG CX OLED w/eARC ports. I'm hoping then I could plug Sonos in there and keep my existing Denon AVR setup, passing through video to the LG over a second ARC port.

WORSE YET...right now I'm even having issues. I thought I could at least do
PS5/XBOX/etc--> Denon AVR --> HDMI1 (non ARC) of LG B6 OLED
Sonos Arc --> HDMI2 (ARC) of LG B6 OLED.

But this also gives me no audio? I'm obviously a complete newbie here.

Last edited:
You are potentially looking at the the HDFury Vertex2 plus the Arcana.

Yiu require the Arcana to enable the ‘HDMI’ Input on the SONOS ARC - the Vertex2 will allow you to share up to four source devices to the AVR + Arcana plus enable ARC from a connected Display.

Your AVR is still very relevant in terms of audio playback.

Joe

You are potentially looking at the the HDFury Vertex2 plus the Arcana.

Yiu require the Arcana to enable the ‘HDMI’ Input on the SONOS ARC - the Vertex2 will allow you to share up to four source devices to the AVR + Arcana plus enable ARC from a connected Display.

Your AVR is still very relevant in terms of audio playback.

Joe
Went ahead and pulled trigger on Vertex2.

I'm actually not sure if the AVR will be relevant anymore. Because at that point it would be 4 input (XBox, PS, etc) --> Vertex2 --> Arcana --> Sonos Arc/LG OLED B6 (which should enable the eARC/full Atmos). Where is the requirement for an AVR? It seems as if the Vertex will allow be to output to the AVR, yes - but what would I even do with the signal?

Last edited:
You would only retain the AVR if your were creating a dual audio system - if not you can retire the AVR from the system once you have the Vertex2+Arcana combination.

Joe

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom