• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

4k at the cinema

After looking at the members gallery and drooling over some of the beautiful and creative masterpieces they have in their homes I stumbled on a 4k screen and it got me thinking.

Ever since I 'noticed' that films are being shown in 4k at the cinema, or at least that is what one of the adverts has proudly stated, I've noticed a clear and obvious decline in picture quality. The main difference is black dots appearing and disappearing all over the screen constantly, somewhat like you can find in plasma TV's but far worse.

I do admit that I've only seen 3 films recently where the 4k logo appeared and all within the party, not only myself, commented on how poor the image looked.

Is this simply because the film was not meant to be shown in 4k? Has anyone else noticed this?

I assume that films like Iron Man 3, which might have been intended for 4k, would look stunning but as for the 'non-blockbusters' are these just forced to be upscaled?

This has been bugging me a little as the prices at the cinema went up but the quality for the recent films I've watched have gone down.

P.s. Don't ever watch a film called 'Chained', let alone with your partner like I did.

RayJubb87

it is possible that the cinema was playing a 2K source through a 4K projector but that defeats the purpose of purchasing the 4K.
Most general release movies these days will have a higher native resolution that 4K, wether it was shot digitally or on celluloid. It just depends on the resolution at which it was digitally mastered.

To my mind, it seems ridiculous to install a 4K projector if your not going to be pumping 4K content through it.

...or maybe it hasn't been correctly calibrated or maintained.

you most certainly should not be seeing an inferior image though.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
What's wrong with Chained?

We quite liked it. :D

Geoff_D

Distinguished Member
I see 2K material on 4K projectors all the time at my nearest (decent) cinema, and it always looks gorgeous.

it is possible that the cinema was playing a 2K source through a 4K projector but that defeats the purpose of purchasing the 4K.
Most general release movies these days will have a higher native resolution that 4K, wether it was shot digitally or on celluloid. It just depends on the resolution at which it was digitally mastered.

To my mind, it seems ridiculous to install a 4K projector if your not going to be pumping 4K content through it.

Most movies are still mastered at 2K, as I'm sure you know. Sony are big on 4K, but no-one else is really bothering at the moment.

jdevil

Distinguished Member

As the poster above said all movies are 2K, it's mainly Sony Picture studios that tend to provide 4K mastered films.

In reality it's like comparing 720p to 1080p, you won't notice the difference at all (well I haven't).

I don't know if it's a good or bad cinema, it's a Showcase Cinema de Lux and I've never had issues with the picture quality of the films I've gone to see until very recently.

As nobody else has noticed a decline in quality I can only assume that it is in this particular cinema only. It could, as has been mentioned, just be something do with calibration. Seems a bit odd though.

Robothamster - My partner is a dance movement psychotherapist and thought I had subjected her to this film on purpose. Needless to say she was not happy with me! Plus she takes a yellow taxi at least once a week, now she walks :D

status42

Have you spoken to showcase about this I have been to many 4k cinemas and not experienced this problem also how far from the screen are you sitting.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
In reality it's like comparing 720p to 1080p, you won't notice the difference at all (well I haven't).

2K to 4K is a massive jump. Full 1080p HD to 2K would be comparable to 720p to 1080p in terms of the difference.

kbfern

Distinguished Member

If you can't tell the difference between 720p & 1080p either you don't have a screen big enough, you are not sitting the correct distance from the screen (to far away) or your eyesight is defective.:)

Have you spoken to showcase about this I have been to many 4k cinemas and not experienced this problem also how far from the screen are you sitting.

I've not raised the issue as I wasn't sure if this was the new norm with 4k projectors. I will be raising this the next time I do go, they might even offer a refund :smashin:

I attempt to sit roughly in the middle whenever I do go as I don't like sitting too close or too far away, equally having to look left or right isn't my cup of tea :D

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom