4k and wireless!

thedude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i have a pc in one end of the living room and in the other is my tv set up. I used to have a HDMI under the floor but it stopped working ive since got a new TV and i have plex on it which is great.
Now the issue I have is if i try and send any 4k around the house wirelessly it just wont do it, bitrates of 30 or 60mbps seem to fail.I can send 10mbps fine and sometimes I can send 20mbps.
My pc is my server and its on all the time, i have it hard wired in but the tv is wireless, do you think if i had an Ethernet cable to it it would help at all or is there something i can do to actually be able to get this to work? Whats odd is that the TV can play 4k from netflix and amazon fine and doesnt buffer or anything. So i have no idea if there bitrates are low.
anyways its been bugging me so fire away

Homeplugs/ powerline adapters work well for me.

Certainly with Hd content not sure about 4k content though.

Homeplugs/ powerline adapters work well for me.

Certainly with Hd content not sure about 4k content though.
Hd content is fine. 4k streaming from the net is fine.
It's 4k films from my pc that are the issue

Hard wiring an ethernet cable is always the best solution.

Many people have issues with wireless HD never mind UHD so homeplugs may be a viable solution but they don't work well for everyone. There are too many factors to consider, so always buy them from a retailer with a good returns policy.

Hard wiring an ethernet cable is always the best solution.

Many people have issues with wireless HD never mind UHD so homeplugs may be a viable solution but they don't work well for everyone. There are too many factors to consider, so always buy them from a retailer with a good returns policy.
Cheers for the heads up

I'm wondering if it's my HDD!

If it were your HDD then your PC would have problems playing the video.

My wild guess is because the built in streaming services are dynamic they can adjust the quality on the fly to compensate whereas your PC videos are running at a fixed bitrate all the time so it chokes when it cant handle it.

Wired ethernet would be the ideal solution, you can get very thin ethernet cables these days.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
If it were your HDD then your PC would have problems playing the video.

My wild guess is because the built in streaming services are dynamic they can adjust the quality on the fly to compensate whereas your PC videos are running at a fixed bitrate all the time so it chokes when it cant handle it.

Wired ethernet would be the ideal solution, you can get very thin ethernet cables these days.
Sorry yes my pc did have some issues playing some content back

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Sorry yes my pc did have some issues playing some content back

That could be down to other issues like playback software assuming the hardware is up to the task. Use MPC-HC as media player to see if videos play okay. Also if these are just insane 4K video test/sample clips don't waste your time getting those to play over network, they are isolated test cases not indicative of normal 2160p/4K videos at all.

I'd still get some ethernet cable to just test with it anyway, if it works with that then you know TV WiFi link to WiFi router is not good enough.

That could be down to other issues like playback software assuming the hardware is up to the task. Use MPC-HC as media player to see if videos play okay. Also if these are just insane 4K video test/sample clips don't waste your time getting those to play over network, they are isolated test cases not indicative of normal 2160p/4K videos at all.

I'd still get some ethernet cable to just test with it anyway, if it works with that then you know TV WiFi link to WiFi router is not good enough.
Will have a look at that. I've been using Plex and what I've now done is optimised the videos takes some time to do each one but they seem to play better than they did which is a good first step.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom