Answered 4K and 3D

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
I've been reading various threads and it seems that 4k hdmi wont pass through a 3D signal in particular I was reading in the 75 inch Hisense thread that two of the HDMI did 4k and the other two hdmi inputs passed a normal signal which could run 3D. My question is how would I feed a signal via an AVR receiver to a tv , if I use one cable it would have to go into the 4k hdmi hdmi on the tv, but then it wouldn't play the 3D as far as I can see it. If I have to use separate cables how would I get the right audio from the receiver as the hdmi would have to go direct to the tv for 3D but then how do I get HD audio as it won't be fed through the amp?
Are all 4k/3D TVs like this?

citywalker

Are all 4k/3D TVs like this?
No, this is rare case and probably specific limitation for this tv only. Usually 4k and 3d are working in the same hdmi input without a problem.
Another way dealing with this problem is that you buy receiver with 2 hdmi monitor outputs.

But 3D TVs are out of production anyway, so you have to buy old tv model to get 3D... Last and best 3D and 4k together were LG 2016 models... Working well with one hdmi :)

Last edited:

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
Cheers mate I'll have a look at these older models, do they do HDR? Any model numbers

citywalker

If I remember, then 3D was in 2016 LG 8 and 9 series LED and LG OLED-s too.
HDR10, Dolby Vision and UHD panels

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
If I remember, then 3D was in 2016 LG 8 and 9 series LED and LG OLED-s too.
HDR10, Dolby Vision and UHD panels
That's sounds about what I want I'll have to source a 65 inch I don't think they'll have done a 75

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
That's sounds about what I want I'll have to source a 65 inch I don't think they'll have done a 75
The LG OLED77G6V is a 77" 3D-enabled TV, but not many people want to spend £12,000 on a television. The 65" G6 and E6 models (OLED65G6V and OLED65E6V) have similar performance on a 65" screen; there's also the C6, but that has a curved screen, which may not be to your taste.

If you get one that isn't faulty (mutter) the 3D is truly superb on any of these. They also all do HDR, although it has to be said that 2017 TVs do a better job of that, especially with the more common HDR10 format; 2016 LG OLED TVs do look very good using Dolby Vision, though.

All of these are discontinued models, of course, so may not be that easy to track down now.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom