4k and 1080p sources HDMI splitter

cliptags

Novice Member
Hey all,

New here so wondering if you could help. I currently have all my sources going into my receiver (Sony STR-DH550) which specs say can handle 4k and then into an HDMI splitter (UK Plug HDMi Splitter 2 Port Amplifier Switcher- 1: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics) which goes to my HD TV and into my projector so both outputs are getting the same picture. I'm about to upgrade to a 4K TV but keep the HD projector so was wondering if my current splitter would work nd deliver 4k content to the TV (from my PC for example) and 1080p to my projector or if I'd need to purchase a new one? I'm assuming a new one, does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Cliptags

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
UHD_ 4K. - ensure any devices which claim to be 4K are compatible with the Sources you plan to use. Some devices will support 2160p at 30Hz with HDCP 1.4 but not support 2160p at 50/60Hz with HDCP 2.2 which you require for the likes of SKY Q, UHD BD and some streaming services.

Distribution Amp (Splitter) - will not normally simultaneously deliver 2160p to one Output and 1080p to a second Output.

What it may support is 2160p to your UHD when that is the only active Display or 1080p to one or other or both Displays when the Source is set to 1080p - the system may reset the Source automatically or (more likely) you will need to toggle the Source between 2160p and 1080p depending on which Display device you are using.

Where you want a 'plug and forget it' type solution you will need to go with a solution which will allow you to keep the Source in 2160p (HDCP 2.2) to optimise it for the UHD Display and simultaneously provide a down converted signal to the 1080p (HDCP 1.4) Display.

See - Linker + Integral Bundle – The Media Factory

Joe

Last edited:

cossie

May I suggest an alternative and that is a new RX with two HDMI outputs that can be independently switched on / off.

I have a similar problem to yours, I have a 4K non 3D TV with a HD 3D projector. To stop the RX automatically limiting its output to the lowest common output that both devices will support I turn that HDMI port off. For example when I want to watch 3D on the projector, connected to HDMI 2, I turn HDMI 1 off.

This does assume that you only want to use one display device at a time, which I do as the TV and projector are in the same room.

drmsa

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom