4k Amazon Prime vs Rakuten

stevos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I notice that Rakuten is now offering 4k HDR via my LG Oled inbuilt app.

My question is for 4k HDR, which offers better picture quality Prime or Rakuten?

Is there any other options for renting movies in 4k?

Hi,

I notice that Rakuten is now offering 4k HDR via my LG Oled inbuilt app.

My question is for 4k HDR, which offers better picture quality Prime or Rakuten?

Is there any other options for renting movies in 4k?
Netflix

Netflix doesn't include recent movies and doesn't really much many older movies in 4k.

Netflix doesn't rent films and none of the latest releases are in 4k (that I'm aware of, Originals excepted).

Rakuten are now offering their streaming services, including 4k, to Samsung TVs.

I've watched two UHD films from my LG Rakuten app so far - Jurassic Park and Fast 8. Image quality and HDR has been good. And the prices have been surprisingly low.

I've managed to build up a decent collection... £4.99 for most uhd purchases ready player one and rampage were just £6.99!

Attachments

• DSC_0338.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 272
  • DSC_0339.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 143
You can watch them numerous times too ? I've installed the app on my TV and am planning to watch their finest hour for my freebie for signing up.

Well I left it too long and missed my free trial title Instead we watched IT in uhd PQ was very good and probably better than the 4k on Netflix imo and although it wasn't available for rental, I don't have too many complaints about paying the tenner to watch it. I can watch it again I suppose.

What's the Rakuten sound quality like?

What's the Rakuten sound quality like?

Not sure how the sound compares to the other providers, but it does have Dolby Atmos on new LG TVs

Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision – Rakuten TV Help Centre

Resurrecting an old thread, however with respect to the OP, Rakuten's UHD quality seems better than Amazon Prime and probably better than Netflix (Lost in Space for example looks grainy in some scenes).

Managed to find this list of UHD titles on Rakuten if anyone's interested. It's far from definitive, but it's better than looking out for that yellow logo at the top.

Rakuten TV - Your cinema at home

Once again resurrecting an old thread.

I’ve been blown away by the sound quality on Rakuten.

I’ve compared a number of titles on this platform v ATV and the sound is really different through my Samsung sound bar. I’m not saying better but different. The Rakuten sound is like being at the cinema, real impact while ATV seems to offer a better surround sound quality.

I’m going to try a few more but pretty impressed.

I'm going to have to try this. I cannot seem to justify buying a 4K Blu-ray player atm and so streaming 4k seems most sensible option if my broadband is up to it.

I went ATV 4K and Itunes for 4K movies, which are often in DV / Atmos and there are regular bargains. TVs are starting to appear with Apple apps which might offset the cost of the ATV 4K.

My LG also has a Rakuten app (and DV and Atmos is said to be supported on LG) so I thought I would try it. The reality is that the selection is not as good as Itunes although it does include Marvel in 4K, and in fact includes only a few in DV and Atmos - most are basic HDR10 and 5.1 DD+. I tried out Bumblebee which had adequate 4K PQ but the audio was noticeably thin, even for streaming.

Bought the spiderverse film but the sound was a bit muffled. Anyone else have this?

Hi Guys,

Anyone knows if any 4K UHD movie in Rakuten that I buy is expected to remain in my library permanently?

What's the video.and audio bit rates?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom